Boehner turned down a trip on Air Force One to attend the memorial in Tucson

POLITICO Forums:Congress: Boehner turns down Air Force One ride to Tucson - POLITICO.com

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) turned down an offer by President Barack Obama to travel on Air Force One to Arizona for a memorial service on behalf of the victims of Saturday’s shooting, a decision that has upset some Democrats.

Boehner is instead scheduled to attend a reception on Wednesday night on behalf of Maria Cino, a former top House GOP aide who is seeking the Republican National Committee chairmanship. Boehner is backing Cino’s challenge to current RNC Chairman Michael Steele.

Boehner’s reception for Cino was first reported on Wednesday morning by POLITICO.

Senior Democrats - who to date had been impressed with Boehner’s response to the Arizona tragedy - expressed surprise at what they saw as an unmistakable misstep by the new speaker: appearing at a partisan political event on the same night as the the president, first lady Michelle Obama, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Arizona congressional delegation come together at the memorial service for the victims of an attack that nearly took the life of a member of the House. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) was critically wounded in Saturday’s attack, while six other people died and a dozen more were wounded.

“It is disrespectful for Speaker Boehner to skip joining the President’s and bipartisan congressional delegation to the Tucson Memorial so he could host a Washington D.C. cocktail party for RNC members,” said a Democratic leadership aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
<more>

You disgust me you litte prick. Why ar you politizing this? Wake the fuck up.

I'm not sure Mr. Speaker made the best decision here.

I believe that he did it, in an attempt to seem totally anti-Obama to his base, but what he's done by this decision is show just how partisan and political he is, that he makes every decision based on what HE thinks it will work for him politically to his base.

At such a time of unity....he seems to could have gained politically HAD he attending...interesting.

I hope I'm wrong and he had a very pressing engagement that was set in-stone well before the events of this past weekend took place, that led to this memorial.

Boehner's been very civil and appropriate in the aftermath of this tragedy. He's said all the rights, and has conducted himself in the right way.
"....the right way." being a relative-sentiment, of course.

Some people figured "....the right way." (considering his new-position, in Congress), would have been to postpone his attendance....at a cocktail-party....in-deference to a fairly-significant memorial-service.

It surely would have enhanced his present-reputation (as a self-centered obstructionist), and would have been a much-better start in The New Year, but......the booze wuz CALLIN'!!!!!

John_Boehner_Scotch.jpg

:rolleyes:

Yeah.....I'd say his reputation is (still) fully-intact.​

I believe that he did it, in an attempt to seem totally anti-Obama to his base, but what he's done by this decision is show just how partisan and political he is, that he makes every decision based on what HE thinks it will work for him politically to his base.

At such a time of unity....he seems to could have gained politically HAD he attending...interesting.

I hope I'm wrong and he had a very pressing engagement that was set in-stone well before the events of this past weekend took place, that led to this memorial.

At the time of unity, why did a Democrat flack take to occasion to call the press and smear him?

Did what the President say mean absolutely nothing. Barely afterwards and you are already back to petty partisan bickering.
Geeeeeee.....you mean.....because Nancy Pelosi's gone.....that bullseye (you folks put, on the Speaker's chair) is inappropriate, now???? :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
And we don't know what he did. He has already said he gets emotional when children are involved in anything. I am guessing he took the time to write personal letters to the families of the fallen and the families of the injured. But that is my guess. And it is as good as any other. But it seems as though he is that type of person.
'
That is right, this wasn't a political showing for counting heads.

You are, indeed, wrong.

Had he accepted the invite and gone, idiots like Political Junky would be accusing him of jumping on the bandwagon for a state that has nothing to do with him. The left would be whining and bitching about him for that.

Whatever he did, the left would spin it to make him look bad. Which is exactly what the left are doing. Same old shit, different day. We learned nothing from Obama's words.

Oh, and really good question - how the hell did the media find out about the invite? Yep, it got leaked from the White House. Politics as usual.... not even 24 hours after he called for a change.

POLITICO Forums:Congress: Boehner turns down Air Force One ride to Tucson - POLITICO.com

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) turned down an offer by President Barack Obama to travel on Air Force One to Arizona for a memorial service on behalf of the victims of Saturday’s shooting, a decision that has upset some Democrats.

Boehner is instead scheduled to attend a reception on Wednesday night on behalf of Maria Cino, a former top House GOP aide who is seeking the Republican National Committee chairmanship. Boehner is backing Cino’s challenge to current RNC Chairman Michael Steele.

Boehner’s reception for Cino was first reported on Wednesday morning by POLITICO.

Senior Democrats - who to date had been impressed with Boehner’s response to the Arizona tragedy - expressed surprise at what they saw as an unmistakable misstep by the new speaker: appearing at a partisan political event on the same night as the the president, first lady Michelle Obama, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Arizona congressional delegation come together at the memorial service for the victims of an attack that nearly took the life of a member of the House. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) was critically wounded in Saturday’s attack, while six other people died and a dozen more were wounded.

“It is disrespectful for Speaker Boehner to skip joining the President’s and bipartisan congressional delegation to the Tucson Memorial so he could host a Washington D.C. cocktail party for RNC members,” said a Democratic leadership aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
<more>

You disgust me you litte prick. Why ar you politizing this? Wake the fuck up.

CIVIL TONE VIOLATION!!!!!

:eek:

Bingo!!!

HE'LL show John McCain a-thing-or-three about Opportuni$m!!!!

241.png

At the time of unity, why did a Democrat flack take to occasion to call the press and smear him?
WHO called the Press????? :eusa_eh:

<tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick>​

Miss_Cleo.jpg

You are, indeed, wrong.

Had he accepted the invite and gone, idiots like Political Junky would be accusing him of jumping on the bandwagon for a state that has nothing to do with him. The left would be whining and bitching about him for that.
How convenient.....having you "conservative"-psychics so available.

Wankin.gif

WHO called the Press????? :eusa_eh:

<tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick>​

I'm gonna break the habit of ignoring the drooling moronic posting of Shamoo and respond.

The White House Press Center would be the ones who leaked it to the media.

One has to wonder doesn't one?

The fake democrats and their fake unity are pathetic.

Sheesh..I thought this thread would die on the vine..and now I see the daily shows are picking it up.

It's ridiculous. Republicans had Senators Kyl and McCain there. That's more then enough. They weren't going to speak. It was up to the President to soothe the nation..not Congress.

He did a fine job. Beginning and end of story.

Forum List

Back