Boehner & the GOP Civil War

You do realize that ONE President is only a third of the government?

The GOP won 233 elections in the House last November. The Democrats won ONLY 193 elections.....

Do you really want to re-frame the question in terms of won elections?

And yet over a half MILLION more votes were cast for Democrats than for Republicans. The ONLY reason the GOP kept house seats was due to Gerrymandering.

If that's the case then the Only reason Obama won was because of blatant VOTER FRUAD.
Yet you people just yawn

The difference is that my statement is based in fact while yours is based on supposition and FoxLies.

the tea party members were duly elected by the people, so you all can whine about them all you want..and just because they aren't the boot licking rubber stamping people that Democrats are which is how some of you think a government should be run....too bad whine away

Hypocrite. The Democrats were duly elected by The People too, and so was Barack Obama. Yet, that hasn't stopped YOU from whining about it, has it?

What's this? Do as I say, not as I do?

Very good point. Commitment to a partisan political ideology can certainly make for some interesting arguments.

The GOP won 233 elections in the House last November. The Democrats won ONLY 193 elections.....

And yet over a half MILLION more votes were cast for Democrats than for Republicans. The ONLY reason the GOP kept house seats was due to Gerrymandering.
Something you never whined about when the Democrats were doing it.

Your argument is a huge failure. The GOP DID keep their seats and they do have the right to exercise power same as the President.

Epic fail.

Actually I did "whine" about when the Democrats did it. CA was once known as the Gerrymandering state. That is no longer the case. Do you know why? Because citizens like me thought the system was unfair so we voted for a citizen redistricting committee.

Yes, the GOP kept their seats because they Gerrymandered them that way. Had they not, Dems could very well have regained the house too.

So I guess what I'm seeing is that having one portion of one party in one third of the government bring our national legislative process to a virtual standstill in a time of great fragility and peril is not only good for the country, but a good way to win votes in future elections.

Okay, I guess that answers my question. I suspect my concerns about the party are valid.

I have been alive almost seventy years, and I have never seen such insanity in a major political party. This is more like something you see in the wingnut organizations like the John Birch Society, where the fighting it to prove who can make the more insane statements.

It is not good for the nation, and more and more of our citizens are realizing it.

Either the GOP gets back to sanity, or we will effectively have only one political party for a couple of election cycles. Not good for the nation. And the wingnuts could care less. They have their insane ideologies. Far more important than the national good to them.

Oh right, and it's like the Democrats are all one cohesive bunch holding hands and singing Kumbaya

LOLz

The "Adults" in the Democrat Party haven't passed a budget in 4 years. In private practice they'd be in jail next to Madoff.

Perhaps we could frame this within the fact that the GOP just lost an election it should have easily won, or within the fact that Boehner failed to bring his party together on Plan B.

Pointing the finger at the Dems is fine, but my question is about the GOP.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unbelievably fuckin' stupid.

How many of those who won those 233 elections would have won nationally or even statewide in their respective states? Fact of the matter is, even in the one area they retained power they didn't even get the majority of votes there. It's through gerrrymandering that they have any power at all at this point.

So I guess what I'm seeing is that having one portion of one party in one third of the government bring our national legislative process to a virtual standstill in a time of great fragility and peril is not only good for the country, but a good way to win votes in future elections.

Okay, I guess that answers my question. I suspect my concerns about the party are valid.

I have been alive almost seventy years, and I have never seen such insanity in a major political party. This is more like something you see in the wingnut organizations like the John Birch Society, where the fighting it to prove who can make the more insane statements.

It is not good for the nation, and more and more of our citizens are realizing it.

Either the GOP gets back to sanity, or we will effectively have only one political party for a couple of election cycles. Not good for the nation. And the wingnuts could care less. They have their insane ideologies. Far more important than the national good to them.

The thought that one party can have so much control scares the hell out of me. I'm just hopeful that the GOP can marginalize these people relatively soon.

Aside from wondering what the more pragmatic members of the GOP are thinking, I also wonder how and why such a relatively small contingent can have so much power. Are these people so afraid they're going to lose their cushy gubmit jobs that they simply can't think straight? Are they that afraid they can't get a REAL job?

Obama did not win in a landslide. This whole, "WE WON" crap is truly disgusting. Liberals love to take their football and go home when they don't get their way on every single thing.

So...what's the position of the GOP controlled House if not "WE WON?"

I don't know nor do I blindly support anything and everything they do like liberal sheep support Democrats. I think John Boenher is a disgrace and I hope he gets booted from the Speakership.

The thought that one party can have so much control scares the hell out of me. I'm just hopeful that the GOP can marginalize these people relatively soon.

Aside from wondering what the more pragmatic members of the GOP are thinking, I also wonder how and why such a relatively small contingent can have so much power. Are these people so afraid they're going to lose their cushy gubmit jobs that they simply can't think straight? Are they that afraid they can't get a REAL job?

oh right...you sure didn't seem afraid when ONE PARTY rammed ObamaCare on the people..
maybe Obama and the Democrats need to "marginalized"

Well anyway, I very much wonder what the more pragmatic, thoughtful members of the GOP are thinking right now.

I'm sure they aren't fretting over Hannity or Limbaugh like you are

Indeed, Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin and Beck concern me.

They've created a generation of simplistic absolutists who don't see how they're being used. And now, in their blind zeal, those simplistic absolutists are electing other simplistic absolutists at the local and state level. Worse, they're so blinded by their simplistic absolutism that they're causing significant damage to their party without even knowing it.

And, amazingly, they're proud of it.

My question was pretty clear and direct. But I've been around here long enough to know that the chances of receiving clear and direct answers to clear and direct questions are pretty small. I do believe it's possible to have a civil, mature, intellectually honest conversation about politics, despite all evidence to the contrary.

So, I still try once in a while, what the hell.

Really?

You wanted to frame the question in the terms of, "Obama won".....As if that supersedes everything else.

Guess what, there were other wins as well. And wins in positions every bit as important and powerful as the Presidents.

Your question was meant to stifle debate. Plain and simple.

Otherwise, you'd talk about the issue WITHOUT bringing a single politician, or political party, into it.

"Wins in positions every bit as important and powerful as the Presidents"???

You gotta be shittin' us!

lolcoffee.gif

What a mess. So now there's talk of Boehner's job being in trouble, and he wants to hold on to it. Only someone with the ego of a politician would want to be a part of this, let alone be in charge of it.

Looks like the GOP civil war is on, and the Tea Party/Limbaugh/Hannity absolutist contingent isn't backing down. The Tea Party politicians are afraid they're going to lose their precious gubmit jobs: Fearing primaries, GOP members opted to shun Boehner

Even ol' Newt is getting scared: Gingrich: GOP faces 'bleak future' without a major political overhaul - The Hill's Ballot Box

Democrats, you've gotta be loving this, seriously. You've gotta be thanking your lucky stars.

Any bets as to what our political environment looks like in, say, a year?

Boehner made a very public promise. That he would hold Obama's feet to the fire over finances, reign in the debt and not raise taxes.

He promised the nation on Billy Cunningham's show. I heard the show that night.

Boehner has failed miserably and broken his promise.

Now Cunningham's promise to Boehner on the conservative public's behest was that if the newly elected speaker broke his vow to the people, that we would move heaven and earth to remove him from Washington and his Office.

Oh and btw, if it weren't for the Tea Party in 2010, The Speaker of the House would only be leader of the Opposition to that witch Pelosi.

The Tea Party definitely helped in many ways in 2010. They essentially functioned as the center of energy of the party and showed that such energy can be helpful in localized elections, especially when there are advantages due to redistricting. They also showed their dangerous flaws, getting a few candidates nominated who turned out to be a net negative to the party. And I'd definitely argue that the absolutism within the party was a net negative in 2012 nationally. It made them an easy target for the Dems, a great way to avoid discussing the economy.

Boehner right now appears to be powerless to control the Tea Partiers, at least on a macro level. I'm reading that he's probably going to keep his position, so we'll see.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in his position.

‘Helped’ the GOP, perhaps, but not the Nation as a whole.

Their mindless extremism has been only harmful, leading to the credit rating downgrade and this ‘fiscal cliff’ nonsense we’re forced to deal with today.

The republican civil war, like most civil wars, is responsible for casualties outside their conflict.

If that's the case then the Only reason Obama won was because of blatant VOTER FRUAD.
Yet you people just yawn

That is the case, but guess what. It doesn't mean the Prez won because of voter fraud.

What you just said is the equivalent of a 7 year-old saying, "Oh yeah? Well...well...you're a poopyhead, so there!"

But that's cool, we know you guys are still dealing with being the minority.

:)

Yet you people just yawn

That is the case, but guess what. It doesn't mean the Prez won because of voter fraud.

What you just said is the equivalent of a 7 year-old saying, "Oh yeah? Well...well...you're a poopyhead, so there!"

But that's cool, we know you guys are still dealing with being the minority.

:)

Oh boy, now who is speaking like a child?
and it's not like we haven't seen YOU GUYS when you were a minority for eight years of Bush, no bigger sore losers or whiners on the earth

Forum List

Back