Boehner says NO to raising tax rates

It's tempting to give obama what he wants and watch it go over the cliff.

It's like watching your young adult kid doing something you know isn't going to work out well, but you just got to let them experience it for themselves.

The tax cuts to the wealthy were sold as a way to boost our economy and increase employment. It didn't happen. We have had 12 years to look at the impact of the tax cuts and all they did was increase our debt

Why double down on stupid?

The tax cuts to the wealthy were sold as a way to boost our economy and increase employment. It didn't happen. We have had 12 years to look at the impact of the tax cuts and all they did was increase our debt

shut up. your tax increases are just around the corner, then you can smile again for they will run your expanding federal government for a whole 8 days or something.

While I think it is silly for him to rule out any Tax Increases right off the bat. I find it equally crazy that Obama and his supporters actually believe we can solve our Deficit Problems by Taxing the Rich "a little bit more"

Simple math proves that Fallacy. The only real path out of this hole is Robust Economic Growth which will translate into Growth of the Tax base.

Hard choices will have to be made, Real Reforms will have to be made. Most likely we will all still end up having to pay more in Taxes, but we can't tax our way out of this spending. The Lions share of the work of fixing this will have to be done by controlling spending, Reforming Entitlements, and Creating the Conditions for Robust Private Sector Growth.

But then I am not sure why I am bothering. There is not anyone in DC who really care about anything further than the next election away, and therefore nothing will get done. We will continue to march toward the inevitable collapse.

How do you get robust economic growth, if investors don't believe we're trying to get a handle on the deficit? Another $40 on every $1000 over $250,000 may not seem like much, but combined with budget cuts, it says we're doing something to get people's confidence back. A lot of it comes down to perceptions of where we're going and just changing the perception can turn things around.

Well just think how much more serious they'll think we're being if we let EVERYONE carry the increased tax load.

Oh no! Not in our new America. You cannot ask the Takers to do shit. All they do is Take.

In fact, we enjoyed a record 52 consecutive months of economic expansion and job growth, as well are record Federal tax receipts to the US treasury.

Lying asshole.

shut up. your tax increases are just around the corner, then you can smile again for they will run your expanding federal government for a whole 8 days or something.

I am perfectly willing to pay more in taxes if it is used to pay down debt

Why aren't you?

.. And Owebama has vowed to veto 'fiscal cliff' bills without it.

Who caves, or do we really get Taxmageddon?

I say give the people what they voted for, which is the fiscal cliff.

Boehner Exclusive: Raising Tax Rates 'Unacceptable' but New Revenue on Table - ABC News

Boehner should STFU and negotiate in private, not public, if he is really willing to put country first and no longer secondary to putting the Republcan Party first.

I know, he makes himself look like he's trying to out democrat the democrats.

I am perfectly willing to pay more in taxes if it is used to pay down debt

Why aren't you?

I'm going to become a taker. It's much more lucrative.

That's what "conservatives" said, the LAST TIME!!!!

September 27, 2000

Another RECORD Budget Surplus

"Reducing the debt, the official said, has "real effects for real Americans." It means lower interest rates for mortgages, car loans and college loans, and leads to an increase in investment and more jobs."It is the third year in a row the federal government has taken in more than it spent, and has paid down the debt. The last time the U.S. government had a third consecutive years of national debt reduction was 1949, said the official.The federal budget surplus for fiscal year 1999 was 122.7 billion, and 69.2 billion for fiscal year 1998. Those back-to-back surpluses, the first since 1957, allowed the Treasury to pay down $138 billion in national debt."

Boehner Exclusive: Raising Tax Rates 'Unacceptable' but New Revenue on Table - ABC News

Boehner should STFU and negotiate in private, not public, if he is really willing to put country first and no longer secondary to putting the Republcan Party first.

I agree he should just go ahead and raise the ceiling by about 40 Trillion so all democrats everywhere could smile and say "We won."

While I think it is silly for him to rule out any Tax Increases right off the bat. I find it equally crazy that Obama and his supporters actually believe we can solve our Deficit Problems by Taxing the Rich "a little bit more"

Simple math proves that Fallacy. The only real path out of this hole is Robust Economic Growth which will translate into Growth of the Tax base.

Hard choices will have to be made, Real Reforms will have to be made. Most likely we will all still end up having to pay more in Taxes, but we can't tax our way out of this spending. The Lions share of the work of fixing this will have to be done by controlling spending, Reforming Entitlements, and Creating the Conditions for Robust Private Sector Growth.

But then I am not sure why I am bothering. There is not anyone in DC who really care about anything further than the next election away, and therefore nothing will get done. We will continue to march toward the inevitable collapse.

Woooot!

I agree. Hard choices will have to be made and if anyone thinks those Clowns in Congress are going to make em they they are delusional.

After all those Clowns have it made. Cushy jobs with great benefits and retirement all payed for with our tax dollars. They have no incentive to fix anything nor will they.

America put that fuck back in the WH and if you think he has anyone best interests at heart again your delusiona.

America is sinking and he is at the helm.

Woooot!

I agree. Hard choices will have to be made and if anyone thinks those Clowns in Congress are going to make em they they are delusional.

After all those Clowns have it made. Cushy jobs with great benefits and retirement all payed for with our tax dollars. They have no incentive to fix anything nor will they.

America put that fuck back in the WH and if you think he has anyone best interests at heart again your delusiona.

America is sinking and he is at the helm.

Shut up.. Americans voted to Sink America. They won the election.

Raise taxes.. make EVERYONE pay 39% on every dollar earned without exception.. but then I think you will hear screams for tax cuts when those who skate by now are suddenly on the hook like the rest of us

Like Obama does?

LOL

You seem to forget his 'grand bargain' lies.

So just what is this ‘‘fiscal cliff’’ that has the financial markets rattled and economists and policymakers alike in a tizzy over the potential for sending the economy into another tailspin?

It’s a one-two punch of expiring Bush-era tax cuts and major across-the-board spending cuts to the Pentagon and domestic programs that could total $800 billion next year, based on Congressional Budget Office estimates.

The cliff is the punishment for previous failures of a bitterly-divided Congress and White House to deal with the government’s spiraling debt or overhaul its unwieldy tax code.

The largest component of the cliff comes with the expiration of tax cuts enacted in 2001 and 2003 and extended two years ago in the wake of President Barack Obama’s drubbing in the 2010 midterm elections.

It also includes sharp spending cuts imposed as a consequence of the failure of last year’s deficit-reduction supercommittee’’ to reach agreement. There are other elements, chiefly a 2 percentage point cut in payroll taxes orchestrated by Obama and unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless that would disappear.

Specifically, the fiscal cliff includes:

—The expiration of Bush-era tax cuts on income, investments, married couples and families with children and inheritances.

—A $55 billion, 9 percent cut in defense spending next year and another $55 billion in cuts to domestic programs, including a 2 percent cut to Medicare providers.

—The expiration of unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless and a sharp cut in reimbursements for doctors participating in Medicare.

—The expiration of Obama’s temporary 2 percentage point cut in payroll taxes.

—The imposition of the alternative minimum tax on some 26 million households, which would raise their taxes by an average of $3,700.

—A variety of smaller taxes cuts for both businesses and individuals collectively known as tax ‘‘extenders’’ in Washington-speak. They include a tax credit for research and development and a deduction for sales taxes in states that don’t have an income tax.

A Congressional Budget Office study in May estimated that the fiscal cliff would force tax hikes and spending cuts totaling over $600 billion in the first nine months of next year — or perhaps $800 billion or so over the entire year if allowed to stay in effect.

A subsequent less detailed CBO update estimates a somewhat smaller impact. The agency is expected to release a new estimate soon.

The fiscal cliff would require such a sharp cut in the deficit that the economy would contract, economists say.

Not all elements of the fiscal cliff are guaranteed to be averted. New taxes on family investment income exceeding $250,000 set to take effect Jan. 1 as a way to help pay for Obama’s health care law are unlikely to be forestalled; and the common wisdom in Washington is that temporary payroll tax cuts and unemployment benefits won’t be extended.

Fiscal cliff combines tax hikes, spending cuts - News - Boston.com

What is Boehners bargaining position?

The increases and cuts automatically take place in January. Obama doesn't have to face reelection, he also gets a more favorable Congress in January. Why not wait it out, let tax cuts expire and then force Boehner to negotiate what he wants back in?

Forum List

Back