Boehner Proves Why He Is A Boner.

West Virginia Senators Jay Rockefeller and Joe Manchin had wanted to honor Joe Buckels, the last surviving World War One Veteran, who passed away on Sunday.

Buckels was 110 years old when he died. Buckels enlisted into the Army in 1917 and served in France. Mr. BUckels died at his home in Charles Town West Virginia and was very proud of his military service.

House Speak John Boner however, decided to block any honor that Mr. Buckels might have received at the U.S. Capital that Mr. Buckels had died defending.

The Boner once again gave America a shining of Example of The ConJob, Repug, Teabagger brand of Patriotism.

St. John of Orange can be very proud of himself denying a man who fought against our Country's Enemies in France an honor due for his service.

The Boner has all the class of dog turd.

Knowing the reason would help. To sensible people, the reason for it matters. For uber-partisans, I imagine it's the chance to bash that's more important.

West Virginia Senators Jay Rockefeller and Joe Manchin had wanted to honor Joe Buckels, the last surviving World War One Veteran, who passed away on Sunday.

Buckels was 110 years old when he died. Buckels enlisted into the Army in 1917 and served in France. Mr. BUckels died at his home in Charles Town West Virginia and was very proud of his military service.

House Speak John Boner however, decided to block any honor that Mr. Buckels might have received at the U.S. Capital that Mr. Buckels had died defending.

The Boner once again gave America a shining of Example of The ConJob, Repug, Teabagger brand of Patriotism.

St. John of Orange can be very proud of himself denying a man who fought against our Country's Enemies in France an honor due for his service.

The guys name was "Frank Buckles" not "Joe Buckels". Idiot!

Last WWI doughboy dies at 110 - Local News Story - St. Joseph

Last edited:

You have a fly on your lip.

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, wants to honor Frank Buckles -- the last surviving World War I veteran until his death on Sunday at age 110 –- in a special ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery, but not in the Capitol, as suggested by some other lawmakers.

Boehner's office said the speaker had no plans to allow Buckles’ body to lie in honor in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda, as some lawmakers from Buckles’ home state of West Virginia have proposed.

“The speaker intends to ask Secretary [Robert] Gates to allow Mr. Buckles’ family to use the amphitheater at Arlington cemetery for his memorial service,” said Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said today.

“That way, it will be near the tomb of the unknown soldier, who also fell in World War I,” said Steel. Steel would not elaborate on why a Capitol ceremony for Buckles was not in Boehner’s plans.

NationalJournal.com - Boehner Says No Capitol Ceremony For World War I Vet - Thursday, March 3, 2011

This is a non issue.

at least boehner knew the guy's name.

i bet you're the first one to call him boner, though.

nice work

The guys name was "Frank Buckles" not "Joe Buckels". Idiot!

Last WWI doughboy dies at 110 - Local News Story - St. Joseph

Cannot have a Lonestar_Logic post without denigrating the intelligence of others. :eusa_whistle:

He will have a nice ceremony at Arlington. I'm sure thats more than most of the men from WWI got.

Non issue is right.

Last edited:
Gee.....no one did any actual research.

Whatta shocker..... :rolleyes:

"Sens. Jay Rockefeller and Joe Manchin III both released statements saying the Ohio Republican had blocked the Capitol honor. Asked if that were true, Boehner spokesman Mike Steel said the speaker and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., would seek Defense Department permission for a ceremony for Buckles at Arlington National Cemetery.

The episode turned what West Virginia lawmakers had hoped would be easy approval for the rare honor for Buckles into a finger-pointing dispute with partisan overtones.

The honor requires a congressional resolution or the approval of congressional leaders, according to the office of the architect of the Capitol.

The bodies of prominent citizens have been displayed in the Rotunda on 30 occasions, starting in 1852 with Henry Clay, a Kentucky senator and congressman. Others include President Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan, unknown soldiers from America's wars and civil rights hero Rosa Parks.

(ReRon Reagan? Seriously???? :confused: )​

Steel said Boehner and Reid will ask Defense Secretary Robert Gates to allow a memorial service for Buckles at Arlington National Cemetery in nearby Arlington, Va., "surrounded by honored veterans of every American war."

Reid spokesman Jon Summers said Reid and Boehner were "discussing alternatives." Summers would provide no additional detail.

In his final years, Buckles had campaigned for greater recognition for the 4.7 million Americans who joined the military in 1917 and 1918 during World War I. Among his goals was a national memorial in Washington for those who served in that conflict.

President Barack Obama has ordered that flags on U.S. government buildings fly at half-staff on the day Buckles is buried. His family has said they plan to inter him at Arlington, just across the Potomac River from the capital."

I believe the veteran, Frank Buckles would like to be honored with the soldiers that served the country. He honored them, not legislators.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
i think it's really nice that some have managed to turn the death of 110 year old man into a means of scoring cheap political points.

i'm sure he'd be thrilled.

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, wants to honor Frank Buckles -- the last surviving World War I veteran until his death on Sunday at age 110 –- in a special ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery, but not in the Capitol, as suggested by some other lawmakers.

Boehner's office said the speaker had no plans to allow Buckles’ body to lie in honor in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda, as some lawmakers from Buckles’ home state of West Virginia have proposed.

“The speaker intends to ask Secretary [Robert] Gates to allow Mr. Buckles’ family to use the amphitheater at Arlington cemetery for his memorial service,” said Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said today.

“That way, it will be near the tomb of the unknown soldier, who also fell in World War I,” said Steel. Steel would not elaborate on why a Capitol ceremony for Buckles was not in Boehner’s plans.
NationalJournal.com - Boehner Says No Capitol Ceremony For World War I Vet - Thursday, March 3, 2011

This is a non issue.

Thanks. Now that I know the details I can see that he is not refusing to honor the guy, he just sees no reason for it to be done at the Capital. To be honest, neither do I.

I don't recall reading about this....

Oh yes, and pelosi was so much better.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5UYNX_XGQA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5UYNX_XGQA[/ame]

Oh, and let's not forget just how much you progressive liberals just love our veterans.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75T_-E42wM0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75T_-E42wM0[/ame]

So let me get this straight, when two of your Liberal Democrats say this veteran should be mourned it is okay, but when your liberal ideolgy says a veteran should not be honored you go right along with it?
Let's be honest here, just how much do you really give a shit "In Comparison" to 90% of the rest of those just like you?

You're just another turd looking to use a veteran to further your agenda. Do I respect Mr. Buckles? Yes I do, I am a fellow west virginian and knew some in his family....you make me sick to my stomach with this shit. You don't care about buckles, you care about dirty Joe and the straight up communist rockefellars feelings.

I'll bet this dumbass woman doesn't think that Pfc. Bradley Manning should be lined up and shot for treason, you can bet your ass on that one.

Last edited:
Frank Buckles was from Missouri and they had the flags here at half staff for him.

Very touching and honorable of the state.

We all can give a silent salute and thanks for his service to us.

RIP

Forum List

Back