Boehner Plan Doesn’t Cut Spending

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Boehner Plan Doesn’t Cut Spending | Cato @ Liberty

House Speaker John Boehner is scrambling to revise his budget plan after the CBO found that it would only cut spending by $850 billion, not the $1.2 trillion promised.

However, the Boehner plan doesn’t actually cut spending at all. The chart shows the discretionary spending caps in the Boehner plan. Spending increases every year—from $1.043 trillion in 2012 to $1,234 trillion in 2021. (This category of spending excludes the costs of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan).

The “cuts” in the Boehner plan are only cuts from the CBO baseline, which is an imaginary path of future spending designed as a planning tool for Congress. Boehner can propose to spend any amount in any future year he wants, and in this plan he choose to have a steadily rising spending path.

The Boehner plan also doesn’t cut spending in a more fundamental way. It doesn’t lay out any particular programs or agencies to terminate. I’m in favor of spending caps as a secondary enforcement mechanism, but actual cuts have to come first. A caps-only plan like Boehner’s just kicks the can down the road. At best, it simply nudges future legislators to actually cut something specific.

Chart after the jump.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ]‪-Yakety Sax- Music‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

are you complaining?

Complaining about what?

Personally, I find it both amusing and sad at the same time. At one end of the GOP, you have people like Boehner who despite all the talk, clearly have no intention of making any sort of meaningful cuts whatsoever. At the other end, you have the Tea Party folk who don't want tax increases whatsoever (ideological not economical) and many who think that it'd be a swell idea to not raise the debt ceiling as to prove a point.

And the only people the GOP have to blame for this situation is themselves. They manufactured this crisis, they tried to weasel their way out of it with the Mitch McConnell plan and now all that talk was simply that, talk.

What's sad is all these political games on their end has the strong possibility of driving the economy off the cliff. While Wall Street and even Paul Ryan says we need to raise the debt ceiling.

are you complaining?

Complaining about what?

Personally, I find it both amusing and sad at the same time. At one end of the GOP, you have people like Boehner who despite all the talk, clearly have no intention of making any sort of meaningful cuts whatsoever. At the other end, you have the Tea Party folk who don't want tax increases whatsoever (ideological not economical) and many who think that it'd be a swell idea to not raise the debt ceiling as to prove a point.

And the only people the GOP have to blame for this situation is themselves. They manufactured this crisis, they tried to weasel their way out of it with the Mitch McConnell plan and now all that talk was simply that, talk.

What's sad is all these political games on their end has the strong possibility of driving the economy off the cliff. While Wall Street and even Paul Ryan says we need to raise the debt ceiling.

uh huh..

Why Democrats don't want to tie the debt ceiling to the tax cuts
By Ezra Klein
Posted at 4:06 PM ET, 12/ 9/2010

What's important to understand about the debt-ceiling vote -- where Democrats and Republicans will either strike a deal to increase the Treasury's borrowing cap or the country will collapse into default -- is that it's not like Democrats have simply forgotten about it. It's not that they haven't realized that they could tie it to the tax cuts, which Republicans want and which will add $900 billion to the debt. It's that they simply don't want to. “Let the Republicans have some buy-in on the debt. They’re going to have a majority in the House,” said Harry Reid. “I don’t think it should be when we have a heavily Democratic Senate, heavily Democratic House and a Democratic president.”

The theory goes something like this: Republicans will demand sharp spending cuts in return for lifting the debt ceiling. Let them. "Boehner et al have had the luxury of proposing all sorts of ideas that bear no relation to reality," says Jim Manley, Reid's spokesman. "Next year, they’ll have to lay it all out. No more magic asterisks, no more 'we’ll get back to you.’ "

In this telling, the debt ceiling vote represents a trap for Republicans more than an opportunity for Democrats. If Republicans want to cut spending, now's their chance. But that means passing a package of spending cuts, which they may find less enjoyable than simply saying that Democrats should stop spending so much. And if the American people aren't supportive of the Republicans’ spending cuts, the GOP will be caught defending an unpopular package as part of a political gambit that could lead to the bankruptcy of the United State of America.

more at-
Ezra Klein - Why Democrats don't want to tie the debt ceiling to the tax cuts

The Boehner plan also doesn’t cut spending in a more fundamental way. It doesn’t lay out any particular programs or agencies to terminate. I’m in favor of spending caps as a secondary enforcement mechanism, but actual cuts have to come first. A caps-only plan like Boehner’s just kicks the can down the road. At best, it simply nudges future legislators to actually cut something specific.

Indeed. Deficit reduction via hand-waving.

House Speaker John Boehner is scrambling to revise his budget plan after the CBO found that it would only cut spending by $850 billion, not the $1.2 trillion promised.

However, the Boehner plan doesn’t actually cut spending at all. The chart shows the discretionary spending caps in the Boehner plan. Spending increases every year—from $1.043 trillion in 2012 to $1,234 trillion in 2021. (This category of spending excludes the costs of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan).

The “cuts” in the Boehner plan are only cuts from the CBO baseline, which is an imaginary path of future spending designed as a planning tool for Congress. Boehner can propose to spend any amount in any future year he wants, and in this plan he choose to have a steadily rising spending path.

Chart after the jump.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ]‪-Yakety Sax- Music‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

That must've been an awkward moment for John.

are you complaining?

Complaining about what?

Yeah, those GOP obstructionists are blocking those well written Dem Budgets, I particularly like the Senate one, and the WH one. The GOP can take them to conference and hammer out a compromise.
I'm sure they'll take BO up on his entitlement reform offer. Reid is just so helpful. The polls are getting nasty to BOTH parties. 2012 should be a real crapshoot.

Yeah, those GOP obstructionists are blocking those well written Dem Budgets, I particularly like the Senate one, and the WH one. The GOP can take them to conference and hammer out a compromise.
I'm sure they'll take BO up on his entitlement reform offer. Reid is just so helpful. The polls are getting nasty to BOTH parties. 2012 should be a real crapshoot.

The problem for the GOP is enough don't want to raise taxes whatsoever or even close tax loopholes. They don't want to get rid of subsidies. They don't want to cut defense.

All that leaves left is Education, NASA, and entitlement programs which if they want massive cuts is going to leave them politically unpopular. Something enough of them are unwilling to do it seems. They can also only cut the smaller programs so much until there's nothing left.

I've seen the President and even Harry Reid of all people say they're willing to compromise on stuff like Medicare. I've seen nothing that the GOP is willing to compromise on. I've been asking for over a month now but nobody can ever tell me one thing.

Chart after the jump.

Obama's and the democrats plans cut spending, oh wait.....

I am yet to see or hear anything in Washington that will do what has to be done.

None of them are willing to make the hard decisions and do what will only get harder in the future.

Our credit rating will be cut no matter what the idiots do, so lets start cutting. But do it smart.

There are government agencies that do each others jobs. Cut em.

There is waste in the military. Cut it.

There is waste and abuse all over medicare & medicaid, Cut it.

This isn't even the tip of what can be cut without taking away from anyone.

But no one wants to do it. Why? I haven't a frigging clue.

But I won't vote for an incumbent that doesn't take a hard line on real cuts.

Massive failure of leadership.. You CAN NOT get caught doing crap like this Boehner phoneyness. Not in this atmosphere.. Voters are probably smart enough to figure out who's gotta go..

Sad thing is -- the incompetent leadership will be re-elected. Because America is fixated on a 2 party system.. That's not enough choices to fix the problem. You know that Boehner is thinking "what they gonna do --- VOTE DEMOCRAT?".. And Reid is thinking along the same lines..

We NEED to encourage 3rd party participation.. It's a better choice than term limits. No more uncontested safe party seats with 3 or 4 strong candidates in the mix.. Open up the ballot access and the publically funded debate.. BEFORE these jerks bring us down...

The problem for the GOP is enough don't want to raise taxes whatsoever or even close tax loopholes. They don't want to get rid of subsidies. They don't want to cut defense.

All that leaves left is Education, NASA, and entitlement programs which if they want massive cuts is going to leave them politically unpopular. Something enough of them are unwilling to do it seems. They can also only cut the smaller programs so much until there's nothing left.

I've seen the President and even Harry Reid of all people say they're willing to compromise on stuff like Medicare. I've seen nothing that the GOP is willing to compromise on. I've been asking for over a month now but nobody can ever tell me one thing.

no, the real problem modbert is you are such an uber partisan that a) you do not read, that is read for comprehension, anything remotely off putting to your mindset b) which leads to ludicrous inferences that somehow you are in the middle, c) you display zero cognizance as to what your very own party is or not doing or has or has not done.

Forum List

Back