Boehner on Past GOP Rushing Bills: "It was a different time"

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Think Progress » Boehner Brushes Off Past GOP Moves To Rush Bills Through Congress: ‘It Was A Different Time’

Last night on Fox News, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) complained about the process of moving bills forward for a vote. “I’m going to introduce a resolution here in the House that would require all committees to post within 24 hours the actions taken by their committee,” he declared.

Ah the smell of hypocrisy in the evening. :eusa_whistle:

BOEHNER: Well, it was a different time. I can tell you when I was Majority Leader, at the time, in almost all cases, I insisted that members have at least 24 hours to read a bill before it came to the floor. But that was — it’s a different time. I’ve made a commitment, and as have my Republican members, that if we take the majority back, we will have a requirement that no bill will come to the floor that hasn’t been out and available to the public and to the members for at least three days.

$bullshit meter_medium000757.jpg

At 9:21 P.M. on Sept. 26, 2006, the House Rules Committee reported the Military Commissions Act to the House, which then was voted on and passed at 4:45 P.M. the next day. The Secure Fence Act of 2006 also had about a day after it was reported out of committee and before it was voted on in the House.

When asked if the GOP leadership waved rules requiring at least 72 hours for members to read bills before voting on them, former Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier (R-CA) said, “Absolutely — it is among the most commonly waived rules the House has.”

Indeed, during the GOP’s House reign, Republican leaders rushed major pieces of legislation through without giving 24 hours for members to read over the bills, let alone 72, including the Medicare Prescription Drug benefit, President Bush’s second tax cut for the wealthy in 2003, and the USA Patriot Act of 2001.

In fact, presumably much to Boehner’s delight, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi recently pledged to put health care reform legislation, and any amendment, online “for at least 72 hours before the House votes.”

Some of the most important bills passed during the Bush Administration were passed before 24 hours even passed.

And of course, Michele thinks we need three months at a MINIMUM to read the Health Care Bill.

Fucking whackjobs. :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
First of all Boehner is a total douchebagge.

Secondly, the bills rushed through congress in the wake if 9/11™ -USAPATRIOT act, DHS, federal takeover of airport security- were police state powers democratics had wanted for a long time in the first place.

This pile of hypocracy, on both sides, just broke my bullshit-o-meter.

Please tell me what bills that would be? Patriot Act nope sorry debated for months and the final form was pretty much a cave to the senate dems. DHS was debated even longer. And Again the final form was pretty much a cave to the senate dems. Federal takeover of Airport security was pushed almost entirely by the Democratic senate.

To date there is little evidence that anything has become more secure other than the jobs of even the most egregiously incompetent airport security personel.

Please tell me what bills that would be? Patriot Act nope sorry debated for months and the final form was pretty much a cave to the senate dems.

Not sure why you are lying:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdT0RNYoFfM]YouTube - Ron Paul - Patriot Act - NOBODY READ IT![/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN2PG1EJZ0Y&feature=fvw]YouTube - Patriot Act Presentation[/ame]

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security," Benjamin Franklin.

Last edited:
Think Progress » Boehner Brushes Off Past GOP Moves To Rush Bills Through Congress: ‘It Was A Different Time’

Last night on Fox News, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) complained about the process of moving bills forward for a vote. “I’m going to introduce a resolution here in the House that would require all committees to post within 24 hours the actions taken by their committee,” he declared.

Ah the smell of hypocrisy in the evening. :eusa_whistle:

BOEHNER: Well, it was a different time. I can tell you when I was Majority Leader, at the time, in almost all cases, I insisted that members have at least 24 hours to read a bill before it came to the floor. But that was — it’s a different time. I’ve made a commitment, and as have my Republican members, that if we take the majority back, we will have a requirement that no bill will come to the floor that hasn’t been out and available to the public and to the members for at least three days.

View attachment 8360

At 9:21 P.M. on Sept. 26, 2006, the House Rules Committee reported the Military Commissions Act to the House, which then was voted on and passed at 4:45 P.M. the next day. The Secure Fence Act of 2006 also had about a day after it was reported out of committee and before it was voted on in the House.

When asked if the GOP leadership waved rules requiring at least 72 hours for members to read bills before voting on them, former Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier (R-CA) said, “Absolutely — it is among the most commonly waived rules the House has.”

Indeed, during the GOP’s House reign, Republican leaders rushed major pieces of legislation through without giving 24 hours for members to read over the bills, let alone 72, including the Medicare Prescription Drug benefit, President Bush’s second tax cut for the wealthy in 2003, and the USA Patriot Act of 2001.

In fact, presumably much to Boehner’s delight, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi recently pledged to put health care reform legislation, and any amendment, online “for at least 72 hours before the House votes.”

Some of the most important bills passed during the Bush Administration were passed before 24 hours even passed.

And of course, Michele thinks we need three months at a MINIMUM to read the Health Care Bill.

Fucking whackjobs. :eusa_eh:

Who cares...the bill still has to go to the Senate or be reconciled with a Senate version. and FYI...the Patriot Act and the Iraq War Resolution were passed by the Democrat controlled Senate in less than a day as well....without ANY floor debate whatsoever.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

Last edited:
did Boenher ever campaign on the promise bills would be available online for 72 hours before a vote?

What's the old saying? Do as I say, not do as I do? That is what Boehner is doing in this situation. He has one standard for Republicans and himself while the Democrats have another. Personally? I agree with the whole 72 hour thing, but it's all political grandstanding bullshit. It's the type of law I could see never being passed if the Republicans got power or repealed because of abuse by "Democrats" supposedly.

Boehner and Reid are more alike than people would care to admit. The right needs to begin seeing that.

Last edited:
did Boenher ever campaign on the promise bills would be available online for 72 hours before a vote?

What's the old saying? Do as I say, not do as I do? That is what Boehner is doing in this situation. He has one standard for Republicans and himself while the Democrats have another. Personally? I agree with the whole 72 hour thing, but it's all political grandstanding bullshit. It's the type of law I could see never being passed if the Republicans got power or repealed because of abuse by "Democrats" supposedly.

Boehner and Reid are more alike than people would care to admit. The right needs to begin seeing that.
if he didn't campaign and make it a promise, he is NOT a hypocrite

Play partisan semantics all you like Dive. If this was Harry Reid who was doing this, you'd be over this faster than Al Sharpton at the chance for more attention. Boehner says one thing and does another, that is hypocrisy. Therefore, he is a hypocrite.

Play partisan semantics all you like Dive. If this was Harry Reid who was doing this, you'd be over this faster than Al Sharpton at the chance for more attention. Boehner says one thing and does another, that is hypocrisy. Therefore, he is a hypocrite.
no, that is what YOU are doing

Not at all. You're the one who is defending Boehner who happens to be no better than Harry Reid. Put a (D) next to his name and you'd be all over him like a fat kid on ice cream so to speak. Let's face it Dive, Boehner is holding himself and Republicans to a different standard than the Democrats. Where was this reform and call for laws back when they were in power?

And that is where in lies the main problem for Republicans now a days. On the subject of Health Care and things like this. They had power all those years, why did not do anything about those issues? :eusa_eh:

Not at all. You're the one who is defending Boehner who happens to be no better than Harry Reid. Put a (D) next to his name and you'd be all over him like a fat kid on ice cream so to speak. Let's face it Dive, Boehner is holding himself and Republicans to a different standard than the Democrats. Where was this reform and call for laws back when they were in power?

And that is where in lies the main problem for Republicans now a days. On the subject of Health Care and things like this. They had power all those years, why did not do anything about those issues? :eusa_eh:
no, i'm not
you are calling him a hypocrite for not doing something he NEVER PROMISED to do
you are playing partisan hack

and as for the healthcare thing, the GOP NEVER had the majority that the dems currently have
and the dems WERE able to block things, and they did

no, i'm not

and as for the healthcare thing, the GOP NEVER had the majority that the dems currently have

I'm calling him a hypocrite for condemning the same actions he did not even five years prior while trying to act like the situations were different and therefore they weren't wrong.

Stop trying to throw around the word partisan hack like it means something Dive. You've abused that word so much that it no longer holds any true meaning when it comes from you. Sort of like when RGS uses moron.

If the GOP had such good ideas on healthcare then they would of been able to get them through Congress. Especially since Republicans never seemed to have a problem passing the major stuff through Congress during the Bush years. (At least before 2006). Considering they got so much more partisan stuff passed, this would of paled in comparison to some of the things that Congress passed.

no, i'm not

I'm calling him a hypocrite for condemning the same actions he did not even five years prior while trying to act like the situations were different and therefore they weren't wrong.

Stop trying to throw around the word partisan hack like it means something Dive. You've abused that word so much that it no longer holds any true meaning when it comes from you. Sort of like when RGS uses moron.

If the GOP had such good ideas on healthcare then they would of been able to get them through Congress. Especially since Republicans never seemed to have a problem passing the major stuff through Congress during the Bush years. (At least before 2006). Considering they got so much more partisan stuff passed, this would of paled in comparison to some of the things that Congress passed.
if he never had that position, he is not a hypocrite
why is it wrong for him to point out that Obama CAMPAIGNED on it

hypocrite - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Definition #2 applies to Boehner here.

I never said that it was wrong to point out that Obama campaigned on it. Obama did campaign on it and it will be a broken promise if he fails to do so. I think you fail to see that I'm not a Obamabot. However, for some strange reason, you continue to defend Boehner when he is just as much of a hypocrite in this case as Obama is.

If he had the balls to do so when Republicans were originally in power and when they shoving bills down Congress throats, then I would of had respect for him over this position. Now it's just political grandstanding at it's finest.

hypocrite - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Definition #2 applies to Boehner here.

I never said that it was wrong to point out that Obama campaigned on it. Obama did campaign on it and it will be a broken promise if he fails to do so. I think you fail to see that I'm not a Obamabot. However, for some strange reason, you continue to defend Boehner when he is just as much of a hypocrite in this case as Obama is.

If he had the balls to do so when Republicans were originally in power and when they shoving bills down Congress throats, then I would of had respect for him over this position. Now it's just political grandstanding at it's finest.
except hes not acting contrary to his own beliefs
you are missing that

and yes, you ARE acting like an Obamabot with 90% of the threads you start

Forum List

Back