Boehner Gives Obama A Deadline On Libya

Many on both sides supported what Bush was doing. I was not one of them. Try and understand "rw kooks" is a very broad brush... Some on here think anyone who is conservative is a RW neocon when in fact Obama and many of them are closer to a Neocon.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, you overlook the fact that many rw kooks will blame Obama for anything. These rw kooks would blame Obama for not-intervening in Libya.

You claim yourself to not be a rw kook, but you defend Boehner. Do you really think Boehner will have drastically different FP than Bush or Obama?

It looks like the White House's argument is this action doesn't constitute a war because we have no American troops in Libya. It is common for Presidents to expand their powers and this raises an interesting point of view. I think it fails, because modern warfare has advanced to a point where many future actions will be of this nature. Congress needs to challenge or we will be sucked into countless military actions.

It looks like the White House's argument is this action doesn't constitute a war because we have no American troops in Libya. It is common for Presidents to expand their powers and this raises an interesting point of view. I think it fails, because modern warfare has advanced to a point where many future actions will be of this nature. Congress needs to challenge or we will be sucked into countless military actions.

We are over there for oil.
In a pure coincidence, Gaddafi impeded U.S. oil interests before the war - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Congress should have "challenged" it 70 years ago, then we wouldn't have been sucked into the countless military actions that have been going on constantly since then.

Congress should have "challenged" it 70 years ago, then we wouldn't have been sucked into the countless military actions that have been going on constantly since then.

Can't alter the past, can change the future with actions now.

Can't alter the past, can change the future with actions now.

That's certainly true. But now the US economy is almost completely based around the military-industrial complex.

It's never going to change, because there are too many people making billions of dollars from war.

Yes, but we actually built most of it around the concept of a cold war, not an actual one. Let's just make Putin the great evil power and go back to the Cold War. Meanwhile, get out of Iraq and Afghanistan now.

Yes, but we actually built most of it around the concept of a cold war, not an actual one. Let's just make Putin the great evil power and go back to the Cold War. Meanwhile, get out of Iraq and Afghanistan now.

The "Cold War" was an actual war - a proxy war, but one with plenty of casualties.

Vietnam, Korean, Cuba, Laos, Afganistan (the first time around, when bin Laden was our friend) and countless South and Central American countries all saw combat by US troops as part of the "Cold War".

It's gonna be dificult De-Funding this Libyan War. It's a UN & NATO-Led War. Stopping the funds could be very tricky. I guess we'll see though. Congress finally getting involved is a good thing though. It's a start.

It's about time Congress provided some leadership here.

OR will it go all the way to the Supreme Court who will refuse to hear it as they did in 1999 regarding President Clinton and Kosovo?***

SNIP:

"In the late 1990s, a number of lawmakers filed suit against President Bill Clinton's Administration for the use of air strikes against Serbia in the former Yugoslavia.

SNIP:

"They charged that he had violated the War Powers Resolution, especially since 60 days had elapsed since the start of military operations in Kosovo.

"The president noted that he considered the War Powers Resolution constitutionally defective. The court ruled in favor of the president, holding that the Congressional members lacked legal standing to bring the suit.

This decision was affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia in Campbell v. Clinton, 203 F.3d 19 (D.C. Cir. 2000)."

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal from this decision, in effect letting it stand.

Read more: Libya Lawsuit Isn't First Congressional Case on War Powers - FoxNews.com

Forum List

Back