Boehner finally endorses Romney

John Boehner officially endorses Mitt Romney - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

He would have endorsed Romney earlier, but he had an appointment at the tanning salon. :tongue:
I wonder who carries-him-over-there, from the bar???

It appears he was lucid, again, recently. Someone (apparently) reminded him Obama's first-term is about to end, and it's probably time ol' Boner shows-up at his office.​

"To avoid a "fiscal cliff" at year's end, House Speaker John Boehner is going to rely on an old road map.

If President Obama and congressional Democrats want to raise the debt ceiling, Mr. Boehner will say in a speech later on Tuesday, they're going to have to hew to what might be called the Boehner principle: Every dollar of new debt must be paid for by at least a dollar of reduced government spending.

“This is the only avenue I see right now to force the elected leadership of this country to solve our structural fiscal imbalance," Boehner will say, according to excerpts of his remarks at the Peter G. Peterson Institute in Washington.

Congress is putting off nearly every substantive policy issue until after the November elections. In addition to the debt ceiling, the heavy issues awaiting Congress between Election Day and the end of year include the Bush tax cuts, unemployment benefits, the budget-slashing "sequester," and Medicare payment rates for doctors.

On taxes, however, the House will move to lay the groundwork for a deal well before the lame-duck session, Boehner says. The House will vote on taxes before the election to "give Congress time to work on broad-based tax reform that lowers rates for individuals and businesses while closing deductions, credits, and special carveouts," according to excerpts of Boehner's speech.

The Boehner principle does not, on its face, rule out tax hikes or other increased revenues to help address the fiscal issues. A mix of tax increases and spending cuts have been offered by a variety of fiscal-reform commissions, including the widely hailed Simpson-Bowles group.

But a Boehner aide says in an e-mail, "Tax hikes are not – and never have been – on the table."

I guess you've gotta give him credit for (finally) sobering-up, before the end of the year.​

Last edited:

Forum List

Back