Boehner demands trillions in cuts in exchange for debt vote

Their effort to do away with Medicare, as we know it, failed .... now this.

Debt ceiling: John Boehner demands trillions in cuts in exchange for vote - latimes.com

By Lisa Mascaro and Kathleen Hennessey, Washington Bureau
May 9, 2011, 6:57 p.m.
Reporting from Washington— House Speaker John A. Boehner said Monday that Republicans wanted trillions in budget cuts in exchange for their vote to increase the nation's borrowing limit and avoid default, adopting a hard line on the party's position in a speech before major players on Wall Street.

Boehner told the Economic Club of New York that his party wanted specific spending cuts — not future targets that would trigger spending reductions or revenue increases, as President Obama has proposed.

they keep digging themselves into a hole they're never going to get out of.

:eusa_eh:

You mean, the hole gets deeper?

The hole gets deeper because those on the left are not willing to make significant cuts, and those on the right are not willing to raise taxes, which also must be done. Revenues as a percentage of GDP are at the lowest levels in sixty years. The deficit is not strictly due to overspending. A great deal of it is due to tax cuts that have proven ineffective in growing the economy to the point of increasing revenues. Revenues are only up 5% since 2000, while GDP is up 50%. That is a major problem, and it has nothing to do with spending.

The hole gets deeper because those on the left are not willing to make significant cuts, and those on the right are not willing to raise taxes, which also must be done. Revenues as a percentage of GDP are at the lowest levels in sixty years. The deficit is not strictly due to overspending. A great deal of it is due to tax cuts that have proven ineffective in growing the economy to the point of increasing revenues. Revenues are only up 5% since 2000, while GDP is up 50%. That is a major problem, and it has nothing to do with spending.

exactly!

Debt ceiling: John Boehner demands trillions in cuts in exchange for vote - latimes.com

Reporting from Washington— House Speaker John A. Boehner said Monday that Republicans wanted trillions in budget cuts in exchange for their vote to increase the nation's borrowing limit and avoid default, adopting a hard line on the party's position in a speech before major players on Wall Street.

Boehner told the Economic Club of New York that his party wanted specific spending cuts — not future targets that would trigger spending reductions or revenue increases, as President Obama has proposed.

You do understand, that by your statement, you cause people to think that you support growing the debt passed what we can ever hope to pay.

Every time someone on the left makes such a stand against any cut, of demands we keep doing what we know doesn't work [no change], I have to wonder if it's party before country.

Here's the question I'll be asking the next time I vote:

If the answer is "yes," you're not getting my vote.
Sometimes you have to spend in debt in order to get out of debt.

Ask anyone whose started a business; debt is fine if it's for sound investments that'll leave you better off in the long run.

Stop clinging to empty rhetoric and think

If your talking about people who are starting businesses....maybe, but we ARE talking about politicians and it's not their money. I suggest you think about it.

And? What's your point? Deficits are still not inherently bad. It's all about the difference between spending and investment. Deficits are fine under some circumstances, such as investing on education and infrastructure in order to improve our economic condition in the long run.

Simply screaming about deficits without addressing the real problems in this nation (like education and infrastructure) is moronic.

It oft isn't the business's money either. Ever heard of business loans?

Serious spending cuts....then tax increases. It has to be in that order, or there will be higher tax increases and just more of the same spending without emphasis on the debt.

boner deserves to have his bluff called.

That is for sure and someday those who govern will realize that they can't just keep spending like there is no tomorrow. ;)

Of course, by then it will be too late.

Although I get the feeling you meant the Republicans and you were not talking about our debt.

Immie

i mean them undermining the full faith and credit of this country is imbecilic.

and while i agree that the debt has to be addressed, one shouldn't cut one's income when one has bills to pay. so you'll forgive me if i'm not all torn up about it.

Indeed, instead, we should tax the hell out of those who have achieved the higher incomes, and drive them offshore so that all we have left are dependents of the Nanny State.

Taxes are at the lowest rates in 60 years. There are very few countries on this planet with lower tax rates than the US.

Please explain in great detail why the government won't wast my money again.

since I have lived, government has grown and grown. do you truly think for a single moment that by keeping more of our money they will magically stop over spending?

Keep in mind, history is on my side, so you must prove to me that history will not repeat again.

The hole gets deeper because those on the left are not willing to make significant cuts
Nor does the Right. Try cutting offense spending and see how they react.

The Republicans are agents of Al Queda, whether they realize it or not.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEXphFgYryE]YouTube - Rachel Maddow War on terror fought on bin Ladens terms Part1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1PjtXkSbew]YouTube - Rachel Maddow War on terror fought on bin Ladens terms Part2[/ame]

Sometimes you have to spend in debt in order to get out of debt.

Ask anyone whose started a business; debt is fine if it's for sound investments that'll leave you better off in the long run.

Stop clinging to empty rhetoric and think

If your talking about people who are starting businesses....maybe, but we ARE talking about politicians and it's not their money. I suggest you think about it.

And? What's your point? Deficits are still not inherently bad. It's all about the difference between spending and investment. Deficits are fine under some circumstances, such as investing on education and infrastructure in order to improve our economic condition in the long run.

Simply screaming about deficits without addressing the real problems in this nation (like education and infrastructure) is moronic.

It oft isn't the business's money either. Ever heard of business loans?

If you don't see the point....I'm not going to educate you on it.
Education is important....but it's not working and it's certainly not a lack of funding.
Businesses have a vested interest in the loan, politicians don't. Don't be so naive, JB.

Because you're going to vote for James Beukema and then pass the Emergency Powers act, granting me authority for 12 months to make any changes to the budget I wish and re-arrange the government as I see fit.

It's faster and easier than passing FeRRA

You guys talk compromise, when what you really want is people to agree with you.

You want to raise the debt cieling, then a fitting compromise would be to make significant cuts to our spending to stop the debt problem we have. Or do you think the debt is magically going to fix itself with no action on our part?

So freaking hypocritical.

You are obviously talking about both Republicans and Democrats. The only serious way to deal with the debt is to cut spending and raise taxes. Republicans refuse to address the need to raise taxes, while the Dems hedge on spending cuts. And let us be clear, raising taxes a little bit would only be raising them to previous levels. We're not talking about stepping onto new ground where we have never been before. Tax rates are currently the lowest in 60 years, and it is killing us.

Because you're going to vote for James Beukema and then pass the Emergency Powers act, granting me authority for 12 months to make any changes to the budget I wish and re-arrange the government as I see fit.

It's faster and easier than passing FeRRA

As long as we get to assassinate you as being an enemy of the state after the 12 months are up, I'd vote for that.
:razz:

You guys talk compromise, when what you really want is people to agree with you.

You want to raise the debt cieling, then a fitting compromise would be to make significant cuts to our spending to stop the debt problem we have. Or do you think the debt is magically going to fix itself with no action on our part?

You are obviously talking about both Republicans and Democrats. The only serious way to deal with the debt is to cut spending and raise taxes. Republicans refuse to address the need to raise taxes, while the Dems hedge on spending cuts. And let us be clear, raising taxes a little bit would only be raising them to previous levels. We're not talking about stepping onto new ground where we have never been before. Tax rates are currently the lowest in 60 years, and it is killing us.

It's not killing us, it's killing the government.

In the last 60 years, had the debt/def ever gone down?

It's worse than that. The Dems are now the war party and by that I mean more war than Bush, but with that massive military spending they also want social spending increases to dwarf Bush's incredible social spending....

The Democrat party as near a whole is a joke, a parody the GOP. How can you meet in the middle on "military spending cuts" for Republicans and "social spending cuts" for Democrats when Obama spends more On military than Bush AND more on social programs then Bush?

I see so many liberals here still claiming Republicans won't compromise while Obama adds 2 new wars to the list...

House Speaker John A. Boehner said Monday that Republicans wanted trillions in budget cuts in exchange for their vote to increase the nation's borrowing limit and avoid default, adopting a hard line on the party's position in a speech before major players on Wall Street.

Playing chicken with default – these rightists truly have no shame. It’s as if the House is populated by a bunch of spoiled brats, throwing a fit to get their way. Revolting.

“Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren,” Obama said in 2006. “America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.”

Obama later missed two votes in 2007 and 2008 while campaigning for president. Many Democrats who opposed the 2006 increase flipped their position once they took control of the Senate.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Goolsbee

Just games. Silly silly games.

Forum List

Back