Boehner demands trillions in cuts in exchange for debt vote

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Their effort to do away with Medicare, as we know it, failed .... now this.

Debt ceiling: John Boehner demands trillions in cuts in exchange for vote - latimes.com

By Lisa Mascaro and Kathleen Hennessey, Washington Bureau
May 9, 2011, 6:57 p.m.
Reporting from Washington— House Speaker John A. Boehner said Monday that Republicans wanted trillions in budget cuts in exchange for their vote to increase the nation's borrowing limit and avoid default, adopting a hard line on the party's position in a speech before major players on Wall Street.

Boehner told the Economic Club of New York that his party wanted specific spending cuts — not future targets that would trigger spending reductions or revenue increases, as President Obama has proposed.

Debt ceiling: John Boehner demands trillions in cuts in exchange for vote - latimes.com

Reporting from Washington— House Speaker John A. Boehner said Monday that Republicans wanted trillions in budget cuts in exchange for their vote to increase the nation's borrowing limit and avoid default, adopting a hard line on the party's position in a speech before major players on Wall Street.

Boehner told the Economic Club of New York that his party wanted specific spending cuts — not future targets that would trigger spending reductions or revenue increases, as President Obama has proposed.

they keep digging themselves into a hole they're never going to get out of.

:eusa_eh:

You mean, the hole gets deeper?

:eusa_eh:

You mean, the hole gets deeper?

Yup.

That is for sure and someday those who govern will realize that they can't just keep spending like there is no tomorrow. ;)

Of course, by then it will be too late.

Although I get the feeling you meant the Republicans and you were not talking about our debt.

Immie

Specific cuts as in.. Programs that help the poor? Or things such as NPR and Planned Parenthood that have hardly one iota of bearing on the Debt?.. Or anything but defense?.. Oh yeah, this guy's serious.. :thup:.

Him and his ultra-rich backers nearly have a heart attack at the mention of cutting Oil Subsidies.. Or raising taxes on the rich.. Or actually making corporations pay their fair share.. Corporate Welfare is twice as worse as any other type, but you'll never hear Boehner or any other Republican leader mention that. It's all about the seniors! :thup:..

That is for sure and someday those who govern will realize that they can't just keep spending like there is no tomorrow. ;)

Although I get the feeling you meant the Republicans and you were not talking about our debt.

Immie

i mean them undermining the full faith and credit of this country is imbecilic.

and while i agree that the debt has to be addressed, one shouldn't cut one's income when one has bills to pay. so you'll forgive me if i'm not all torn up about it.

Immie

i mean them undermining the full faith and credit of this country is imbecilic.

and while i agree that the debt has to be addressed, one shouldn't cut one's income when one has bills to pay. so you'll forgive me if i'm not all torn up about it.

Indeed, instead, we should tax the hell out of those who have achieved the higher incomes, and drive them offshore so that all we have left are dependents of the Nanny State.

You guys talk compromise, when what you really want is people to agree with you.

You want to raise the debt cieling, then a fitting compromise would be to make significant cuts to our spending to stop the debt problem we have. Or do you think the debt is magically going to fix itself with no action on our part?

So freaking hypocritical.

Here's the question I'll be asking the next time I vote:

Did you vote for more debt?
If the answer is "yes," you're not getting my vote.
Sometimes you have to spend in debt in order to get out of debt.

Ask anyone whose started a business; debt is fine if it's for sound investments that'll leave you better off in the long run.

Stop clinging to empty rhetoric and think

Fuck it all, I give up.

The bank can have my goddamn house.

I'll quit working and go live in a government housing project........they can pay my medical........

oops...heh: Just realised this is what I'm doing already:cool:

House Speaker John A. Boehner said Monday that Republicans wanted trillions in budget cuts in exchange for their vote to increase the nation's borrowing limit and avoid default, adopting a hard line on the party's position in a speech before major players on Wall Street.

Playing chicken with default – these rightists truly have no shame. It’s as if the House is populated by a bunch of spoiled brats, throwing a fit to get their way. Revolting.

Here's the question I'll be asking the next time I vote:

Did you vote for more debt?
If the answer is "yes," you're not getting my vote.
Sometimes you have to spend in debt in order to get out of debt.

Ask anyone whose started a business; debt is fine if it's for sound investments that'll leave you better off in the long run.

Stop clinging to empty rhetoric and think

If your talking about people who are starting businesses....maybe, but we ARE talking about politicians and it's not their money. I suggest you think about it.

John Boehner: Cut 'trillions' as debt limit nears - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

...under Boehner’s vision, Republicans would have to find more than $2 trillion in cuts if they wanted to raise the debt ceiling by that amount through 2012, according to the Treasury department’s estimates on the debt limit. But Republicans could also go for a more incremental increase in the debt ceiling, coupling that with a smaller offsetting cut in spending. Boehner’s preference is for immediate cuts, not promises to pare back spending in the future or set triggers for deficit reduction.

“To increase the debt limit without simultaneously addressing the drivers of our debt — in defiance of the will of our people — would be monumentally arrogant and massively irresponsible,” Boehner said, brushing back on Democrats who are calling for a clean vote. “It would send a signal to investors and entrepreneurs everywhere that America still is not serious about dealing with our spending addiction. It would erode confidence in our economy and reduce certainty for small businesses. And this would destroy even more American jobs.”

Typical Washington stuff. Republican's bad plans verses Democrat no plans. The truth is that neither party thinks we have a "debt ceiling" or "spending limits" of any kind and mostly they are right. Hell, if the Republicans had not won the House we might not even have had a "budget" for last year.

A pox on both their houses. :tongue:

Forum List

Back