Boehner delays vote on his debt-ceiling measure

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Boehner delays vote on his debt-ceiling measure - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (AP) — Stung by revelations that his plan would cut spending less than advertised, House Speaker John Boehner on Tuesday postponed a vote on a debt-ceiling measure that was already running into opposition from tea party conservatives. The move came just a week before an Aug. 2 deadline for staving off the potential financial chaos of the nation's first-ever default.

With time running short, the speaker promised to quickly rewrite his debt-ceiling legislation after budget officials said it would cut spending by less than $1 trillion over the coming decade instead of the promised $1.2 trillion. The vote originally scheduled for Wednesday is now set for Thursday. That may give Boehner more time to hunt for votes, but it gives Congress and the White House even less time for maneuvering.

Boehner wasn't helped when presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty and the groups Tea Party Patriots and Tea Party Express criticized his plan. A worse blow came when a congressional analysis said his plan would produce smaller savings than originally promised. Of particular embarrassment was a Congressional Budget office finding that Boehner's measure would cut the deficit by just $1 billion next year.

Bolded emphasis is mine.

I wonder if all those Republicans who were supporting Boehner's plan feel suckered they were supporting a plan that would cut the deficit by a whopping billion dollars next year. :eusa_think:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ]‪-Yakety Sax- Music‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

We agree on something, glad the CBO scored it so quickly. Now there's only one viable plan out there, so both sides better get moving, for Obama says he will veto the only one that actually moves the ball along.

I wonder if all those Republicans who were supporting Boehner's plan feel suckered they were supporting a plan that would cut the deficit by a whopping billion dollars next year. :eusa_think:

I am also curious where is the bi-partisan support he promised for a plan that just postpones the same debate for 6 months.

In my mind pass a real extension or just keep fighting this thing until we get a real resolution.

Let us just quit bickering, and default. This is the goal, anyway. Then the whole dingbat pack can blame President Obama for the resulting chaos. And we can elect one of the GOP dingbats, who will then make things even worse, and declare martial law for the good of us all.

Going to be very interesting times, folks.

The majority in Congress wishes no resolution at all. They are actively working for the downfall of this nation. Ideology, no matter how far out, is far more important to them than the citizens of this nation, or even the survival of the nation.

Let it begin,folks.

Boehner delays vote on his debt-ceiling measure - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (AP) — Stung by revelations that his plan would cut spending less than advertised, House Speaker John Boehner on Tuesday postponed a vote on a debt-ceiling measure that was already running into opposition from tea party conservatives. The move came just a week before an Aug. 2 deadline for staving off the potential financial chaos of the nation's first-ever default.

With time running short, the speaker promised to quickly rewrite his debt-ceiling legislation after budget officials said it would cut spending by less than $1 trillion over the coming decade instead of the promised $1.2 trillion. The vote originally scheduled for Wednesday is now set for Thursday. That may give Boehner more time to hunt for votes, but it gives Congress and the White House even less time for maneuvering.
Boehner wasn't helped when presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty and the groups Tea Party Patriots and Tea Party Express criticized his plan. A worse blow came when a congressional analysis said his plan would produce smaller savings than originally promised. Of particular embarrassment was a Congressional Budget office finding that Boehner's measure would cut the deficit by just $1 billion next year.
Bolded emphasis is mine.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ"]‪-Yakety Sax- Music‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Where is Obaba's pan for reducing the deficit? At least Bowehner has one, and actually submitted it to the CBO. Not to mention that he is rewriting it to make it do what he wants it to.

By the way, no one supported his plan because it did not exist until he sent it to the CBO, but don't let facts get in the way of your partisan hackery.

I am also curious where is the bi-partisan support he promised for a plan that just postpones the same debate for 6 months.

In my mind pass a real extension or just keep fighting this thing until we get a real resolution.

Ever ask yourself why Obama is insisting on extending the debt ceiling until after the 2012 election? Why has he drawn himself into a corner and insisted he will veto a bill that gives everyone more time to work out a real deal?

While you are wondering about this remind yourself that during the 8 years that Bush was in office we raised the debt ceiling 19 times. That means that a short extension is not exactly unprecedented.

Just something for you to think about in the hope that you will open your eyes to the truth.

The majority in Congress wishes no resolution at all. They are actively working for the downfall of this nation. Ideology, no matter how far out, is far more important to them than the citizens of this nation, or even the survival of the nation.

Let it begin,folks.

You really are an idiot at times.

Reminds me of the budget deal passed in April:

A federal budget compromise that was hailed as historic for proposing to cut about $38 billion would reduce federal spending by only $352 million this fiscal year, less than 1 percent of the bill’s advertised amount, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Although that analysis dampened enthusiasm for the deal among many Republicans on Thursday, the House and the Senate approved the measure with bipartisan support. President Obama is expected to sign the bill Friday, officially ending the prospect of a government shutdown.​

Perhaps the Speaker needs to consider staffing up, preferably with folks who are better at math than his current team.

A federal budget compromise that was hailed as historic for proposing to cut about $38 billion would reduce federal spending by only $352 million this fiscal year, less than 1 percent of the bill’s advertised amount, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Although that analysis dampened enthusiasm for the deal among many Republicans on Thursday, the House and the Senate approved the measure with bipartisan support. President Obama is expected to sign the bill Friday, officially ending the prospect of a government shutdown.​
Perhaps the Speaker needs to consider staffing up, preferably with folks who are better at math than his current team.

Don't you keep telling me the PPACA will save money?

Naa these people make him and Cantor look smart. They'll keep them.

Anything that doesnt include a balanced budget amendment with adjustments for inflation is a fucking joke. So who cares if Boehners shitty as plan doesnt pass.

Unlike the democrats that RAM bills through regardless of the effect the speaker to his credit is reworking his to try to make it appropriate.

And you dimwits find a problem with this. Lol

when was the last time the debt ceiling was held hostage to partisan demands?

Forum List

Back