Boehner...debt limit hike as a stand alone bill...

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
excellent. very good idea, no add ons making the bill a must pass or "granny will die or the troops won't have bullets" game they always play to guilt everyone and provide an out for themselves.

This puts them ALL on the spot....up or down.

House GOP vows unfettered vote on raising of debt ceiling
Move could spur showdown over spending

For the first time in years, House lawmakers will soon have the chance to vote on a standalone measure to increase the federal debt limit next year under the new Republican majority — a vote that's shaping up as the first early test of the GOP's commitment to spending restraint.

The House Republican leader, Rep. John A. Boehner of Ohio, will give lawmakers a chance for a direct vote on raising the debt limit, spokesman Michael Steel told the Washington Times.

That would be a break with the recent tactic of burying the debt limit increase in parliamentary maneuvers — a way to shield vulnerable lawmakers from having to take the unpopular vote — and would instantly give leverage to those in Congress hoping to impose immediate spending cuts.

Sen. Jim DeMint, South Carolina Republican, was asked Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press" whether he would vote to raise the debt ceiling, and said, "No, I won't."

House GOP vows unfettered vote on raising of debt ceiling - Washington Times

Last edited:
Damn. All those Demonrats who thought the GOP was just kidding. Boehner is showing himself to be very smart, very in touch with what the election was all about. Unlike a certain clueless ape down the street.
You go, guy.

Yep this will be interesting.

I will bet that the spending cuts will not be in seperate bills though.

This is going to be an interesting time in our history. From what I heard, raising the debt ceiling would most certainly bankrupt us and not raising it will screw the economy.

Yep this will be interesting.

I will bet that the spending cuts will not be in seperate bills though.

Why don't you carp at every single move the GOP makes? Why don't you gripe that they didnt cut enough, didnt cut the right things, didnt fix everything immediately?
You have close to zero credibility here because everything the GOP does is flawed while everythign the Dems do is fine or explainable by expedient.

Why don't you carp at every single move the GOP makes? Why don't you gripe that they didnt cut enough, didnt cut the right things, didnt fix everything immediately?
You have close to zero credibility here because everything the GOP does is flawed while everythign the Dems do is fine or explainable by expedient.

Oh sweet irony. :lol:

I have acknowledged every good thing the Dems have done.
Give me a minute and I'll recall what that was.

Host: Will you vote to raise the debt ceiling?
Rand Paul: No, I'll vote against that
Host: Wouldn't failing to raise the limit cause us to default on our debt?
Rand Paul: Well, if it had enough votes. But I don't think we can stop it.

I saw that last night.

GOP: We don't give a fuck about anything but grandstanding so we look good. Fuck the US.

:lol: I do remember him saying that. It's like they will vote against it hoping someone else will be sure and pass it, putting those people in danger of losing their seats but not Rand or Demint.

I saw that last night.

GOP: We don't give a fuck about anything but grandstanding so we look good. Fuck the US.

You do realize that voting against raising it will not cause us to default if we make necessary spending cuts to maintain a balance, right?

That's the whole purpose of putting it up for a standalone vote. Let's see who's got the balls to cap the debt and make the hard choices on cuts at the same time.

You can call it grandstanding all you want, it's something that needs to be done in Congress. This is how we'll know who's telling the truth and who's playing the electorate for a fool.

I saw that last night.

If the Dems were smart, and that is quite questionable, they should all vote "present" the way the GOP voted "no" as a group on everything that would have helped the economy.

So Rand appears to be politics as usual so far?
Cut spending but zero specifics, vote against raising debt ceiling but knows it will be a symbolic vote.
I would love to see it come down to his vote whether it passes or not.

By God, yes, let's cut the deficit. First thing, no state gets more back from the Federal government than they sent in. That would eliminate a bunch of the deficit.

TaxProf Blog: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed

States Receiving Most in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:

1. D.C. ($6.17)
2. North Dakota ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. Mississippi ($1.84)
5. Alaska ($1.82)
6. West Virginia ($1.74)
7. Montana ($1.64)
8. Alabama ($1.61)
9. South Dakota ($1.59)
10. Arkansas ($1.53)

In contrast, of the 16 states that are "losers" -- receiving less in federal spending than they pay in federal taxes -- 69% are Blue States that voted for Al Gore in 2000. Indeed, 11 of the 14 (79%) of the states receiving the least federal spending per dollar of federal taxes paid are Blue States. Here are the Top 10 states that supply feed for the federal trough (with Blue States highlighted in bold):

States Receiving Least in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:

1. New Jersey ($0.62)
2. Connecticut ($0.64)
3. New Hampshire ($0.68)
4. Nevada ($0.73)
5. Illinois ($0.77)
6. Minnesota ($0.77)
7. Colorado ($0.79)
8. Massachusetts ($0.79)
9. California ($0.81)
10. New York ($0.81)

I saw that last night.

Most amazing was that the host didn't call him out on it. She just moved on to the next question as if defaulting was just another option on the table. Pathetic. He should have been pinned to the wall until he explained that answer.

But let's not mistake grandstanding for governing: he's already clamoring for earmarks after claiming he'd be against them.

How can anyone say "well they have to be ready to make serious cuts." The only cuts the GOP leadership is ready to make is taking more of people's social security and medicare, that's about it. Even that is not concrete since they realize doing so before 2012 would amount to essentially political suicide.

What I've been saying all along is coming to pass, the lack of a real GOP plan to back up all the talk about spending cuts.

I saw that last night.

You do realize that voting against raising it will not cause us to default if we make necessary spending cuts to maintain a balance, right?

Voting against it will cause us to default, period. That's the reality of the situation.

That's the whole purpose of putting it up for a standalone vote. Let's see who's got the balls to cap the debt and make the hard choices on cuts at the same time.

It is not possible to make all the necessary cuts at the same time - unless you DON'T make it a standalone bill so you can include cuts along with it....oh, and those cuts need to take effect immediately, and they need to involve reneging on prior commitments of this same congress.

This is how we'll know who's telling the truth and who's playing the electorate for a fool.

The ones being fooled are those that believe we can implement a retroactive spending cap in order to prevent a debt limit increase. Those fools don't understand the first thing about government, budgets, the legislative process or economics. All they know is that Sarah Palin said increasing the debt limit is bad and therefore it's bad.

This is exactly what happens when someone never owns up to their mistakes. The GOP royally screwed this country..never apologized or recognized what they did to get us here. Instead they repackaged themselves..and want to implement the same disastrous programs that got us into this mess.

Bush..when faced with a surplus..gave tax cuts...when taxes are at their lowest in almost 100 years.

He got rid of paygo.

What he could have down was pay down the debt..and kept paygo. But he started what would be the "Drunken Sailor" economic plan.

Forum List

Back