Boehner Compromises With Dems On Tax Cuts

AquaAthena

America First...MAGA
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2010
Central Coast
Great! We have to kill the ability of the job creators [wealthy] to protect the middle-class and that 50% who pay noooo taxes. The economy will continue to stagnate, or worse, nose dive.---Aqua*

FOXNews.com - Breaking News | Latest News | Current News

House minority leader says he would support middle-class tax cuts without an extension for high-income earners, but only if that's the only way to push extension of Bush-era tax reductions through Congress.

Read more: Gibbs, Boehner trade shots - Mike Allen - POLITICO.com

From John Boehner:

"If the president is serious about job creation, there's a clear way forward, and that's for us to come together and pass legislation immediately that cuts spending to 2008 levels for the next year and stops all of the coming tax hikes by freezing all current tax rates for the next two years. Anything short of that may selfishly check a political box for the president, but it fails the American people.

"Instead of resorting to tired old class warfare rhetoric, pitting one working American against another, the president and the Democratic leadership should start working with us this week to ensure a fair and open debate to pass legislation to cut spending and freeze tax rates without any further delay."

I just heard Boortz and Jamie debating whether or not that was a good move.

I just heard Boortz and Jamie debating whether or not that was a good move.

Yes, it is something to debate. However, I think it a smart political move as the folks on the hill can't call the Republicans, "the party of no", on this one. I think Obama set it up this way hoping the Republicans would not go for any of it, and then he could use that as a "tool" to prove to his remaining base of...what ---29% of those who still "strongly approve" of the job the president is doing??

Hopefully he remains true to this statement. Whether you like middle class tax cuts or not it's ATLEAST a good sign that the possible future majority leader isn't totally and completely partisan and still considers himself in a position to say "hey we CAN get along like we used to before the 90s and crack a deal maybe".

Good to see Boehner finally showing a willingness to compromise. There may be hope for him after all

Good to see Boehner finally showing a willingness to compromise. There may be hope for him after all

Yes, and now we will see if there is hope that Obama, will compromise on Boehner's conditions, as quoted above in the OP. :)

Why does Obama need any Republicans again? I thought Dems won?
Gee......I'd always thought you "conservatives" would insist that Republican-congressmen would do (at least) ONE-thing to earn the government-checks they've drawing.....for THE LAST, TWO YEARS!!! :eusa_eh: (You know....besides yelling "NO!!")​

Why does Obama need any Republicans again? I thought Dems won?
Gee......I'd always thought you "conservatives" would insist that Republican-congressmen would do (at least) ONE-thing to earn the government-checks they've drawing.....for THE LAST, TWO YEARS!!! :eusa_eh: (You know....besides yelling "NO!!")​

:cuckoo:

Great! We have to kill the ability of the job creators [wealthy] to protect the middle-class and that 50% who pay noooo taxes. The economy will continue to stagnate, or worse, nose dive.---Aqua*

FOXNews.com - Breaking News | Latest News | Current News

House minority leader says he would support middle-class tax cuts without an extension for high-income earners, but only if that's the only way to push extension of Bush-era tax reductions through Congress.

Read more: Gibbs, Boehner trade shots - Mike Allen - POLITICO.com

From John Boehner:

"If the president is serious about job creation, there's a clear way forward, and that's for us to come together and pass legislation immediately that cuts spending to 2008 levels for the next year and stops all of the coming tax hikes by freezing all current tax rates for the next two years. Anything short of that may selfishly check a political box for the president, but it fails the American people.

"Instead of resorting to tired old class warfare rhetoric, pitting one working American against another, the president and the Democratic leadership should start working with us this week to ensure a fair and open debate to pass legislation to cut spending and freeze tax rates without any further delay."

Boehner is compromising nothing.

Tax cuts are already expiring whether Congress does anything or not. All that is on the table is the middle class tax cut.

What he is proposing is that Obama withdraw all legislation enacted by the Dems in 2009 including healthcare in order for him to support a middle class tax cut

Nice guy

I don't know, it may have been a misstep on Boehner's part. He may not have meant to say that.

I was watching Morning Joe and Savannah Guthrie was saying that the WH is gleeful that he said it but Mitch McConnell.. Not so much.

There may be some backpeddaling on that comment.

Hmmmm.. maybe the DEMs will 'compromise' and start taxing the ~50% that pay no income tax at a 38% rate??

But somehow I don't think that will happen

US Wealth Distribution

One way to ‘see’ the distribution of wealth in the U.S. is to imagine a group of 100 people who have a $100 between them. Evenly distributed each would have one dollar of wealth. Alas, that is far from the actual distribution. According to the most recent study, Currents and Undercurrents, by the Survey of Consumer Finance (Federal Reserve, Department of Treasury, 2006) wealth is distributed accordingly:

50 individuals at the bottom have a nickel. ($0.05 times 50 = $2.50)

The next 40 each have $0.70 of wealth (40 times $0.70 - $28.00).

The next 9 each have $4.00 of wealth (nine times $4.00 = $36.00)

The last richest individual has $33.40 (one time $33.40).

So how much are you going to get from the individual who has 5 cents worth of wealth? A penny?

Meanwhile you pout and make threats when we try to tax the guy with $33.40 in wealth. How much is each penny worth to him when compared to the workers who have nothing?

Forum List

Back