Boehner: Age 70 earliest retirement

I just joined AARP, as long as you don't fuck with benefits for those over 50 have at it. Otherwise we will reign down on you a Bengay wave of shit on your houses.

personally i find it pretty sad if you have to work when that old anyway. I would probably kill myself if I screwed up my life so bad that I had to work past 50 or 60.

Who the hell wants a bunch of old farts nodding off in design meetings?

LOL blu I thought the same thing at 30. When I hit 35 then 40 became too early to retire. When I hit 45 we'll 50 was still looking good till Bush SOLD US DOWN THE HAMPTON'S RIVER.

Wow

Retirement at 70?? Its probably going to come to pass. Don't think they will have much choice in the matter.

Good thing they didn't propose this in Greece. Hell they were rioting in the streets over 62. They would have burned the cities down if they were told they couldn't retire till age 70. LOL

Last edited:
i agree with this too. if you want it sooner, then finance your own fucking retirement and get off the taxpayer's back.

You guys do realize that citizens actually pay into SS every payday... don't you?

Personally, I'd rather be able to opt out of SS.

I think anyone in there right mind would choose to opt out of SS but for some reason the Government doesn't want people taking care of themselves...:cuckoo:

Amazingly almost everyone agrees with this.
Of course SS is a contract and that contract promised certain benefits at certain times. Still, the 62 rule is unrealistic at a time when people are living longer and are more able to work.

By the age of 62, many of the people that I have worked with in sawmills, construction, and steel mills, have such bad backs that, at best, they can only work part time. There has to be allowance for these people. Partial retirement, whatever you would call it.

I think that is something you need to work out in your individual industry. At 62 you may no longer be able to perform hard physical labor...but that is something you need to plan for while you are in your twenties. You need to set aside more money in a 401k or IRA than a normal (non-physical) worker would. That way, when you reach 62 or an age you can no longer work you have a nest egg to fall back on.
You also need to consider other available, non physical jobs you may be qualified for. Cross training, so that you have other marketable skill makes sense

for social security and Medicare.
I am 1000% in agreement. Start it NOW.
Watch the wannahbe conservatives oppose it.
We also need to cut government pensions for new employees, length of service for all government employees needs to be 40 years before retirement, eliminate all defined benefit plans for those other than military. Want a government job and want a pension? Fund it your damn self.
Now.

Why not military as well? Why did you excluded htem?

I do not want those that have my freedom in their hands worrying about their retirement portfolio.

The military also has self limiting careers. You either advance or you are out. There are no 65 year old Captains in the Army. By the time they reach 20 years there are fewer and fewer officer slots available.

Why not military as well? Why did you excluded htem?

I do not want those that have my freedom in their hands worrying about their retirement portfolio.

The military also has self limiting careers. You either advance or you are out. There are no 65 year old Captains in the Army. By the time they reach 20 years there are fewer and fewer officer slots available.

While true not everyone is an officer. There are plenty of master sergeants with 20+ years in.

We also need to cut government pensions for new employees, length of service for all government employees needs to be 40 years before retirement, eliminate all defined benefit plans for those other than military. Want a government job and want a pension? Fund it your damn self.
Now.

I'm all for it - as long as the retirement age for full government pensions is raised to 70, with significant hair cuts for earlier retirement - i.e., 50% pension at age 55 after sufficient years of service for those who are in the government pension system on a wind down basis. New hires should be subject to personal savings, 401Ks, IRAs, and SS like those of us in the private sector.

I'd also prefer to see SS privatized along the Chilean model (Milton Friedman's concept) so that the government isn't able to access the Trust Fund to fuel spending increases.

Now.

I'm all for it - as long as the retirement age for full government pensions is raised to 70, with significant hair cuts for earlier retirement - i.e., 50% pension at age 55 after sufficient years of service for those who are in the government pension system on a wind down basis. New hires should be subject to personal savings, 401Ks, IRAs, and SS like those of us in the private sector.

I'd also prefer to see SS privatized along the Chilean model (Milton Friedman's concept) so that the government isn't able to access the Trust Fund to fuel spending increases.

New hires in the Federal Government have been covered by Social Security, 401K type plan and a 1%/yr pension plan for 25 years.

Your recommendation is much higher than they currently get

While true not everyone is an officer. There are plenty of master sergeants with 20+ years in.

Not many Corporals though

You want to fix social security?

Make social security the ONLY pension for Congress, the POTUS all top officials, and the military.

They'll find solution quick enough when they're facing living on that pittance, believe me.

Forum List

Back