Boehner: Age 70 earliest retirement

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2009
Georgia
for social security and Medicare.
I am 1000% in agreement. Start it NOW.
Watch the wannahbe conservatives oppose it.
We also need to cut government pensions for new employees, length of service for all government employees needs to be 40 years before retirement, eliminate all defined benefit plans for those other than military. Want a government job and want a pension? Fund it your damn self.
Now.

i agree with this too. if you want it sooner, then finance your own fucking retirement and get off the taxpayer's back.

i agree with this too. if you want it sooner, then finance your own fucking retirement and get off the taxpayer's back.

You guys do realize that citizens actually pay into SS every payday... don't you?

Personally, I'd rather be able to opt out of SS.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

You guys do realize that citizens actually pay into SS every payday... don't you?

indeed, let me opt out and if i am not able to be financially secure by 65 or 70 than let me die in the streets. I could do much more with the $ im sending them to secure my future than use it to hope that SS will still be around when i reach the age.

Fuck you, Boehner!

First remove the FICA earnings cap then we'll talk moving back the retirement age.

funny that the first thing ron paul started talking about on a national scale in 06-07 was opting out of SS (its also what got me reading up on him) and the "small gov" gop laughed at him and said its a good thing

We also need to cut government pensions for new employees, length of service for all government employees needs to be 40 years before retirement, eliminate all defined benefit plans for those other than military. Want a government job and want a pension? Fund it your damn self.
Now.

Why not military as well? Why did you excluded htem?

Social security was never meant to be a retirement plan.
It was started when the life span was 57 years old.
Social security is insurance, not a retirement plan.
Tellme how it will work when folks are living to age 90 and their kids are 65?
We have become a nation of village idiots.

Now.

Why not military as well? Why did you excluded htem?

I do not want those that have my freedom in their hands worrying about their retirement portfolio.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Fuck you, Boehner!

First remove the FICA earnings cap then we'll talk moving back the retirement age.

No,first raise the retirement age and then we will talk about moving the FICA cap.
Tell me how wage earners can pay for the retirement of a 90 year old and 2 65 year offspring of the 90 year old in 20 years?
That scenario is happening 8% now and is growing at 2-3 %a year.
Explain how that works.
The system is unsustainable.

Last edited:
Now.

I agree....people are fully capable of working well into their 60s. It also gives them an opportunity to earn more in their retirement fund.
With a life expectancy in the mid to late eighties, 70 is not that old

I would also like to see where you can ramp down and work fewer hours in the years before you retire

Amazingly almost everyone agrees with this.
Of course SS is a contract and that contract promised certain benefits at certain times. Still, the 62 rule is unrealistic at a time when people are living longer and are more able to work.

Now.

I agree....people are fully capable of working well into their 60s. It also gives them an opportunity to earn more in their retirement fund.
With a life expectancy in the mid to late eighties, 70 is not that old

I would also like to see where you can ramp down and work fewer hours in the years before you retire

OK, this is the first reasonable post I have seen concerning retirement age for those of us who work in heavy industry. 70 is not a reasonable age to work 40 hrs plus overtime in a steel mill. Especially if you are in maintenance.

But then we would have to have regulations concerning the ramp down after 60 years old. Because there are always industries and individuals that see someone of that age as an impediment to getting things done quickly.

Now before anyone gets goofy and states why don't they just change industries, consider the present job market.

Of course SS is a contract and that contract promised certain benefits at certain times. Still, the 62 rule is unrealistic at a time when people are living longer and are more able to work.

By the age of 62, many of the people that I have worked with in sawmills, construction, and steel mills, have such bad backs that, at best, they can only work part time. There has to be allowance for these people. Partial retirement, whatever you would call it.

And don't forget, for every worker who drops out of the workforce, a slot opens up for someone to enter the workforce.

(In theory, at least.)

Now.

moving government pension age from 59 to 67 would solve a lot of problems.

By the age of 62, many of the people that I have worked with in sawmills, construction, and steel mills, have such bad backs that, at best, they can only work part time. There has to be allowance for these people. Partial retirement, whatever you would call it.

That's what disability is for.
Most people do not work in saw mills. However almost everyone pays into SS. It makes no sense to scrap a proposal that will help almost everyone for the sake of the 4% of the population still doing heavy labor.

Forum List

Back