Body Armor: Political Football

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Another writer that is 'covering' the story, from outside the "Green Zone" hotels:

http://www.facesfromthefront.com/content/view/157/3/

Headline: http://ap.cjonline.com/pstories/20060326/3744724.shtml

"Thanks, but no thanks, some Marines say to extra body armor"

Most important graphs buried at the end of the story....

Many Marines, however, believe the politics of the issue eventually will make the plates mandatory...

"The reason they issued (the plates), I think, is to make people back home feel better," said Lance Cpl. Philip Tootle of Reidsville, Ga. "I'm not wishing they wouldn't have issued them. I'm just wishing that they wouldn't make them mandatory."

As I noted in this space several months ago, if it was up to the individual Marines, many, if not most, would wear less armor.

My opinion is that all kinds of armor should be made available, but wearing it should be up to the individual Marine.

Some units make it a standing order that all available armor is to be worn.

Why?

Because if Lance Corporal Smith is killed in action and the wound might have been prevented by some additional body armor, then the media and others will raise a stink demanding answers to the question: "Why didn't he have sufficient body armor?"

Never mind that LCP Smith took his SAPI plates out, took off his throat protector and groin protector and helmet on his own accord.

Like many things in Iraq and the greater GWOT, tactical and strategic issues have become political issues.

I would suggest Regimental and Battalion Commanders leave armor considerations to small unit and individual Marines.

Individual Marines could be made to sign a counseling statement acknowledging they were advised to wear all armor available, but choose not too.

When I chased a Marine infantry platoon around Al Anbar last Summer I was armed only with a Canon XL-2 camera and only wore a kevlar vest similar to what a police officer would wear.

By wearing/carrying 50 pounds less I was able to out run and climb the 21-year-old grunts. In shorts and tennis shoes they would smoke me, but when weighed down....

You could have the Marines wearing kevlar blankets filled SAPI plates, but all you would have then is a bullet proof target.

Help JD continue to report on our military!

Things like body armor are always a trade off between 'light and mobile' and 'heavy and static'. Truth is, each situation is different; there are times when all that armor should be worn and other times when it is an encumberance. It really is to bad that the MSM has made it such an issue.
Another factoid is that there never has been nor will there ever be (in my opinion) such a thing as armed conflict without casualties and I dont care how much armor you issue to either side.

Agreed--the MSM has no business politicizing the war by cherry picking issues that they think will serve thier larger agenda of destroying the administration by using Iraq as the weapon. Whatever the policy regarding body armor, as long as the military are making the decisions I'll be OK with it.

Forum List

Back