Bodies of 51 Iraqi soldiers found

W

wade

'Bodies of 51 Iraqi soldiers found'

Reports say young graduates were forced to lie down, then shot in head
Sunday, October 24, 2004 Posted: 6:01 AM EDT (1001 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A group of at least 51 soldiers of the New Iraq Army were ambushed and killed while on their way home after graduating from training, Iraqi police officials said.

The soldiers appeared to have been forced to lie face down on the ground and then were shot dead at close range, Diyala province police chief Major General Waleed Khalid Abdul Salam told CNN.

They were surprised and captured Saturday on a road near the Iranian border, about 80 miles (130 km) east of Baghdad, he said.

The ambush happened between 3 and 5 p.m. Saturday and the bodies were found in groups of 12 and 13 around midnight, Maj. Gen. Salam said.

The soldiers, who were found with their army IDs, had just graduated from training, he said.

They were riding in three minibuses and had departed from the training camp in Kirkush, about 90 km (55 miles) northeast of Baghdad, Iraqi Interior Ministry spokesman Col. Adnan Abdul Rahman said.

They were headed toward their homes in the southern provinces, he said.

On Saturday two suicide car bombings and a drive-by shooting killed at least 14 people in separate incidents.

The deadliest attack took place in western Iraq near Haditha, Camp Al-Asad, which is located along the Euphrates River about 124 miles west-northwest of Baghdad.

U.S. Marine spokesman Lt. Lyle Gilbert said the suicide attacker killed 10 Iraqi police and wounded at least five others, and there were no U.S. casualties.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/10/24/iraq.main/

Does this sound like an inside job or what?

wade said:
Does this sound like an inside job or what?

Absolutely. This scares me more than anything. Someone can infiltrate the local police or military and befriend everyone, then show up with a bomb one day. These are known risks but scary as hell nonetheless.

This concerns me on whether we can really help this country. A country killing thier own people trying to make a difference. Wonder where they get off calling us murders. Atleast we do it accidently, they intentionally kill thier own people. I hope these people are found and repayed the favor.

My take is this has very little to do with insurgency or occupation. In contrast I think we are seeing the fruits of Iran's labor. The last thing Iran wants to see is a democratic neighbor, given their younger people already long for democracy and all things western. Iran would love nothing more than the Iraqi government being one of theology rather than secular in nature. In fact I think Iran must be dealt with if we are to bring democracy and peace to Iraq.

Eric invading another country would not be the best thing to do at the moment. It could make it worse in Iraq. Causing them to think all we want to do is take that part of the world over. Although this isn't true the people there would be easily swayed to believe this.

It's definitely time to take the gloves off and LEVEL Fallujah(sp?). It's time to show those bastards that we're pulling the plug on the PC war and blow the crap out of that town.

From reports I've seen, all of the civilians have left so only militants and their supporters are left. I hope Bush, whether he wins or not, authorizes the military to unleash on that town untuil everyone has died or surrendered. I hope that's what he planning for Nov. 3.

Eric invading another country would not be the best thing to do at the moment. It could make it worse in Iraq

No, I am not advocating invading Iran, at least not at this time. There are other ways though that pressure could be put upon them.

It’s been reported that the interim government has purged its police and officer ranks of at least 10,000 and they are continuing to screen more. Sound like Nam all over again. It has also been reported that getting inside is one of their preferred tactics. Get inside lay low and wait for an opportunity to strike. Remember they think this is the battle leading up to judgment day.
We need to up our image as a liberator, marginalize the religious aspect of the conflict. I think one of our biggest mistakes was to put a guy like Paul Breamer in charge. The Iraqis complained that he set up camp in the green zone (Saddam’s seat of power); he dressed too nice, and was to clean. American idol could have held a cattle call for some one hairy that could speak Arabic, a Mojo jojo look alike, complete with turban and purple cape. He could issue religious fatwas from a remote mountainside cave.
In all seriousness that was one of the many mistakes made from the beginning, we did not listen to the Iraqi advisors. Who better to know the minds and politics of the people then an Iraqi himself? Arrogance has a price.

We need to make it look like we intend to give Iraq back to the Iraqi's. With 17 (19?) perminent miltary bases under construction in Iraq, it does not look that way to them.

:clap:
Now your thinking,
If only we could have gotten another power to invade and then made it look like we came to liberate them.
I have seen ops where US Forces were required to fly the flag of the host nation and not old glory.
The real way to minimize OBL and the Base is too somehow remove the religious and occupation aspect of the conflict.

New Topics

Forum List

Back