Bobby Jindal's dirty little secret

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Louisiana has gotten $130 billion in post-Katrina aid. How is it that the stars of the Republican austerity movement come from the states that suck up the most federal money? Taxpayers in New York send way more to Washington than they get back so more can go to places like Alaska and Louisiana. Which is fine, as long as we don’t have to hear their governors bragging about how the folks who elected them want to keep their tax money to themselves. Of course they do! That’s because they’re living off ours.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/opinion/26collins.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

Apparently, as I understand it, with Jindal refusing a portion of the federal aid money, Louisiana will receive $3.6 billion instead of the original $3.7 billion.

I could be wrong on that, so if anyone can post contradictory information, please do so.

Oh......that's SO much better.........

He's taking 0.1 Billion less than what he asked for........great.......since he's refusing a little bit of the money, then I guess he's justified in voting against it.

It's his JOB to get money to help his state.

Can't fault him for doing that.

I know almost nothing about the guy, and what little I saw left me less than impressed, but honestly folks..give the guy a break.

He also LIED about the sheriff story.

he was 75 miles from that town that day, the sheriff is not longer alive so no one cna ask him if its true.

Jindal just killed his carreer.

the more I read his speech and listen to the political pundits on all sides, there seems to be a unanimous idea that Jindal's speech was so bad and so antagonistic that he may never recover from this to get onto the national stage. Can't say that makes me upset, but I'd love to see him debate Obama and get his ass handed to him

Louisiana has gotten $130 billion in post-Katrina aid. How is it that the stars of the Republican austerity movement come from the states that suck up the most federal money? Taxpayers in New York send way more to Washington than they get back so more can go to places like Alaska and Louisiana. Which is fine, as long as we don’t have to hear their governors bragging about how the folks who elected them want to keep their tax money to themselves. Of course they do! That’s because they’re living off ours.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/opinion/26collins.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

We're making this an issue? If San Francisco was rocked by a major earthquake causing massive devastation, would we not be sending government disaster relief there? This is a stupid example and has nothing to do with excessive pork spending.

he was 75 miles from that town that day, the sheriff is not longer alive so no one cna ask him if its true.

the fact that YOU posted this .......

Hey......if you don't believe that the dirtbag Jindal was 75 miles, I've got a suggestion........

Go back over the reports of Katrina. You'll see that he WASN'T THERE!

Keith Olberman also did a piece on this last night on his show Countdown. I think I'm starting to like his show and Rachel Maddow's by the way.......they bring good information.

so if no one can confirm or deny it, how do you justify calling it a lie, liar?

Because he was no where NEAR this town on that day.

He picked a dead guy to quote thinking no one would catch him.

He could NOT have physically been there.

BTW he also lied about the train to vegas from Cali, that is NOT in the bill.

so if no one can confirm or deny it, how do you justify calling it a lie, liar?

Because he was no where NEAR this town on that day.

He picked a dead guy to quote thinking no one would catch him.

He could NOT have physically been there.

BTW he also lied about the train to vegas from Cali, that is NOT in the bill.

and i should believe you because...? put up some evidence or STFU

TM you would demand the same of us if we just threw something out there like that. You need to provide facts not just your view on things. Start with where you got your 'info' saying he was 75 miles away.

Here ya go Angel Heart...........

Jindal's Katrina Story: A Tall Tale?
By Zachary Roth - February 26, 2009, 1:10PM

The evidence continues to grow that the story Bobby Jindal told Tuesday night -- about how he backed a tough-talking sheriff's efforts to rescue Katrina victims, government red-tape be damed -- was, how to put it ... made up.

Delivering the GOP response to President Obama's speech to Congress, Jindal had his first chance to impress a national audience. To do so, he told the following story:

During Katrina, I visited Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine. When I walked into his makeshift office I'd never seen him so angry. He was yelling into the phone: 'Well, I'm the Sheriff and if you don't like it you can come and arrest me!' I asked him: 'Sheriff, what's got you so mad?' He told me that he had put out a call for volunteers to come with their boats to rescue people who were trapped on their rooftops by the floodwaters. The boats were all lined up ready to go - when some bureaucrat showed up and told them they couldn't go out on the water unless they had proof of insurance and registration. I told him, 'Sheriff, that's ridiculous.' And before I knew it, he was yelling into the phone: 'Congressman Jindal is here, and he says you can come and arrest him too!' Harry just told the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats and start rescuing people.

But there are several pieces of evidence that suggest this just didn't happen. Nothing, to be sure, that definitively proves the story was made up. But more than enough to declare it highly suspicious.

First, Jindal's story has Lee railing against the red-tape in the midst of the crisis. But Lee, the sheriff of Jefferson Parish in suburban New Orleans, told CNN he didn't find out about the license and registration issue until about seven days after the incident.

Here's Lee talking to Larry King (via Nexis) a week or so after Katrina:

I fully believe that when then matter is looked into, we tried to get some boats in the water early on. When I realized that we had a problem, I was the one that made the call in WWO (UNINTELLIGIBLE) radio if there was anybody with a boat to come to a place so that we can get the boats in the water because I was around when -- the other big hurricanes, and most of the rescue done early on were individual fisherman, recreational fisherman that had boats that went in the water. Those boats where not allowed to get into the water when they were needed and I just found out about seven days later one of the reason boats couldn't get in was they didn't have enough life preservers and some of them didn't have proof of insurance. And I'm sure that there's a FEMA regulation that says that. But when a storm of this magnitude hits, you through those regulations out the window and you do what you have to do and start saving lives. (our itals)

It's within the realm of possibility, just, that Lee and Jindal are talking about two separate incidents. But from the way the details line up, it's reasonable to assume they're the same.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Daily Kos diarist xgz assembled a slew of additional evidence suggesting that Jindal took some serious dramatic license, at best. To summarize:

According to numerous reports, Harry Lee did not leave the affected area of New Orleans during the crisis. But there is no reported evidence of Jindal having set foot in the area during the period when people were still stranded on roofs -- which, based on a review of news stories from the time, was only until September 3 at the very latest. Indeed, the evidence strongly suggests he did not...

When the storm made landfall on August 29, Jindal was on a foreign trip. His family was evacuated to his parents' house in Baton Rouge, and when he returned, he went straight there to join them. In a September 1st CNN interview given from Baton Rouge, Jindal talked about taking an aerial tour of the disaster area, but didn't mention anything about having been on the ground personally. We've reviewed Nexis and other sources, and can find no news reports putting Jindal on the ground in the affected area during the few days after Katrina struck when people might still have needed boats to rescue them from rooftops.

Schedule issues aside, it's also noticeable that Jindal has talked or written several times before about the problems of excessive red tape during Katrina, but has never told this story.

On September 8, the Wall Street Journal published an op-ed by Jindal detailing how "n Katrina's wake, red tape too often trumped common sense." Jindal listed several anecdotes to illustrate the problem, including one that involved a sheriff, and another about a boat evacuation. But nothing that resembled the Lee story he told Tuesday. You'd think that would have been his lead example.

And in 2008, Jindal told Human Events:

There are thousands of these stories. I talked to a sheriff in an area where they had people with boats that were ready to go in the water and rescue people and they were turned away because they didn't have proof of registration and insurance, they didn't bring the right paperwork. The bureaucracy was just awful.

The implication here is that Jindal talked to the sheriff after the fact, not that he was in his office during the moment of crisis.

As we said, none of this settles the question definitively. But it certainly raises a whole lot of questions about Jindal's tale. Those questions were enough for MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, in a short segment last night on the controversy, to conclude that the story is "apparently not true."

Of course, Harry Lee could put this to rest once and for all. But he died in 2007.

We called Jindal's office, asking for any information that might help establish the story's veracity. They haven't gotten back to us.

TPMMuckraker | Talking Points Memo | Jindal's Katrina Story: A Tall Tale?

And......that isn't the only place that it appears........there are links in the original story that refer back to actual news articles.

Nope........Jindal is a liar.

Here ya go Angel Heart...........

Jindal's Katrina Story: A Tall Tale?
By Zachary Roth - February 26, 2009, 1:10PM

The evidence continues to grow that the story Bobby Jindal told Tuesday night -- about how he backed a tough-talking sheriff's efforts to rescue Katrina victims, government red-tape be damed -- was, how to put it ... made up.

Delivering the GOP response to President Obama's speech to Congress, Jindal had his first chance to impress a national audience. To do so, he told the following story:

During Katrina, I visited Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine. When I walked into his makeshift office I'd never seen him so angry. He was yelling into the phone: 'Well, I'm the Sheriff and if you don't like it you can come and arrest me!' I asked him: 'Sheriff, what's got you so mad?' He told me that he had put out a call for volunteers to come with their boats to rescue people who were trapped on their rooftops by the floodwaters. The boats were all lined up ready to go - when some bureaucrat showed up and told them they couldn't go out on the water unless they had proof of insurance and registration. I told him, 'Sheriff, that's ridiculous.' And before I knew it, he was yelling into the phone: 'Congressman Jindal is here, and he says you can come and arrest him too!' Harry just told the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats and start rescuing people.

But there are several pieces of evidence that suggest this just didn't happen. Nothing, to be sure, that definitively proves the story was made up. But more than enough to declare it highly suspicious.

First, Jindal's story has Lee railing against the red-tape in the midst of the crisis. But Lee, the sheriff of Jefferson Parish in suburban New Orleans, told CNN he didn't find out about the license and registration issue until about seven days after the incident.

Here's Lee talking to Larry King (via Nexis) a week or so after Katrina:

I fully believe that when then matter is looked into, we tried to get some boats in the water early on. When I realized that we had a problem, I was the one that made the call in WWO (UNINTELLIGIBLE) radio if there was anybody with a boat to come to a place so that we can get the boats in the water because I was around when -- the other big hurricanes, and most of the rescue done early on were individual fisherman, recreational fisherman that had boats that went in the water. Those boats where not allowed to get into the water when they were needed and I just found out about seven days later one of the reason boats couldn't get in was they didn't have enough life preservers and some of them didn't have proof of insurance. And I'm sure that there's a FEMA regulation that says that. But when a storm of this magnitude hits, you through those regulations out the window and you do what you have to do and start saving lives. (our itals)

It's within the realm of possibility, just, that Lee and Jindal are talking about two separate incidents. But from the way the details line up, it's reasonable to assume they're the same.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Daily Kos diarist xgz assembled a slew of additional evidence suggesting that Jindal took some serious dramatic license, at best. To summarize:

According to numerous reports, Harry Lee did not leave the affected area of New Orleans during the crisis. But there is no reported evidence of Jindal having set foot in the area during the period when people were still stranded on roofs -- which, based on a review of news stories from the time, was only until September 3 at the very latest. Indeed, the evidence strongly suggests he did not...

When the storm made landfall on August 29, Jindal was on a foreign trip. His family was evacuated to his parents' house in Baton Rouge, and when he returned, he went straight there to join them. In a September 1st CNN interview given from Baton Rouge, Jindal talked about taking an aerial tour of the disaster area, but didn't mention anything about having been on the ground personally. We've reviewed Nexis and other sources, and can find no news reports putting Jindal on the ground in the affected area during the few days after Katrina struck when people might still have needed boats to rescue them from rooftops.

Schedule issues aside, it's also noticeable that Jindal has talked or written several times before about the problems of excessive red tape during Katrina, but has never told this story.

On September 8, the Wall Street Journal published an op-ed by Jindal detailing how "n Katrina's wake, red tape too often trumped common sense." Jindal listed several anecdotes to illustrate the problem, including one that involved a sheriff, and another about a boat evacuation. But nothing that resembled the Lee story he told Tuesday. You'd think that would have been his lead example.

And in 2008, Jindal told Human Events:

There are thousands of these stories. I talked to a sheriff in an area where they had people with boats that were ready to go in the water and rescue people and they were turned away because they didn't have proof of registration and insurance, they didn't bring the right paperwork. The bureaucracy was just awful.

The implication here is that Jindal talked to the sheriff after the fact, not that he was in his office during the moment of crisis.

As we said, none of this settles the question definitively. But it certainly raises a whole lot of questions about Jindal's tale. Those questions were enough for MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, in a short segment last night on the controversy, to conclude that the story is "apparently not true."

Of course, Harry Lee could put this to rest once and for all. But he died in 2007.

We called Jindal's office, asking for any information that might help establish the story's veracity. They haven't gotten back to us.

TPMMuckraker | Talking Points Memo | Jindal's Katrina Story: A Tall Tale?

And......that isn't the only place that it appears........there are links in the original story that refer back to actual news articles.

Nope........Jindal is a liar.

"Nothing, to be sure, that definitively proves the story was made up..." would be the bottom line here.

Del you never accept the facts I post any better than the statements.

The rights view of facts is the whole reason I named myself truthmatters.

The guy just posted the mans whereabouts on the day he claimed this happened.

Means nothing to you anyway huh?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back