Bobby Jindal wants $300 million dollars for Louisiana high speed trains

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Think Progress » After Calling High-Speed Rail Funds In Stimulus ‘Wasteful,’ Jindal To Request Millions

After Calling High-Speed Rail Funds In Stimulus ‘Wasteful,’ Jindal To Request Millions
The AP reported earlier this month that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s (R-LA) administration is planning to request $300 million dollars from the federal government to develop a high-speed rail between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
The trains, which would run at about 79mph, would be part of a larger Gulf Coast rail plan with top speeds of 110mph. Much of the money, however, comes from the Recovery Act, a stimulus measure Jindal not only opposed, but recently called a failure.

In opposing the Recovery Act, Jindal offered the Republican party’s official response to President Obama’s nationwide address last February. Jindal specifically smeared high-speed rail projects as “wasteful spending”:

JINDAL: While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a “magnetic levitation” line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called “volcano monitoring.”

Despite Jindal’s political grandstanding, officials in his own administration have praised the idea of high-speed rail. “Long term, we see it as a very valuable economic incubator for the entire corridor, ” said Tom Atkinson, an official in the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development.

Jindal is trying to have it both ways on the Recovery Act. Though he slams it as a “stimulus that has not stimulated,” Jindal recently went on a 64-parish tour handing out jumbo-sized ceremonial checks filled largely with Recovery Act funds (view a compilation of Jindal’s check giveaways here). Rather than acknowledging the source of the money, Jindal printed his own name on the checks.

Though Jindal has been rapidly spending stimulus money for infrastructure projects around the state, his administration has refused to put up signs disclosing each project has been funded by Recovery Act.

Last edited:
hell, if he wants that he should put it in a bond issue and have the citizens of LA vote on if they want to build it and pay for it
but no federal money should be spent on it

Brad Pitt actually threatened to first run for mayor of New Orleans and told folks on the Bill Maher show that he wouldn't be mayor long though because right after he takes office the run for Governor of Louisiana would start.

Pitt unhappy with progress in New Orleans has signaled that he would take the mayors job for a short while because he could bring in his team with him and pick his successor when he beats Jindal for the governors spot.

The right wing conservative politicians would do well to heed some of these threats.
They can bitch hollywood shouldn't get involved all they want. Hollywood are American citizens too and I believe several of them are fed up with all this right wing temper tantrum stuff and nothing ever getting done going on.

Brad Pitt will just be the first star from hollywood to put a ignorant conservative out of office.

Hey when they bitch remind them they elected Ronald Reagan................. Payback is a bitch.

Trains are for people and Bobby now likes what he hated so he can get reelcted.

Think Progress » After Calling High-Speed Rail Funds In Stimulus ‘Wasteful,’ Jindal To Request Millions

After Calling High-Speed Rail Funds In Stimulus ‘Wasteful,’ Jindal To Request Millions
The AP reported earlier this month that Gov. Bobby Jindal’s (R-LA) administration is planning to request $300 million dollars from the federal government to develop a high-speed rail between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
The trains, which would run at about 79mph, would be part of a larger Gulf Coast rail plan with top speeds of 110mph. Much of the money, however, comes from the Recovery Act, a stimulus measure Jindal not only opposed, but recently called a failure.

In opposing the Recovery Act, Jindal offered the Republican party’s official response to President Obama’s nationwide address last February. Jindal specifically smeared high-speed rail projects as “wasteful spending”:

JINDAL: While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government, $8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a “magnetic levitation” line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called “volcano monitoring.”

Despite Jindal’s political grandstanding, officials in his own administration have praised the idea of high-speed rail. “Long term, we see it as a very valuable economic incubator for the entire corridor, ” said Tom Atkinson, an official in the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development.

Jindal is trying to have it both ways on the Recovery Act. Though he slams it as a “stimulus that has not stimulated,” Jindal recently went on a 64-parish tour handing out jumbo-sized ceremonial checks filled largely with Recovery Act funds (view a compilation of Jindal’s check giveaways here). Rather than acknowledging the source of the money, Jindal printed his own name on the checks.

Though Jindal has been rapidly spending stimulus money for infrastructure projects around the state, his administration has refused to put up signs disclosing each project has been funded by Recovery Act.

Good for him. A true waste of taxpayer money.
As for any governor, once it was passed, is going to do what they can to bring home as much of it as possible and it's possible he is giving into the demands of the state legislature. Maybe part of political manouvering between the gov and the legislature, i.e. you give me this, we'll give you that.
Ah....politics.....

300M? The population of LA is only 4.5M. Are they all traveling back and forth between Baton Rouge and NO every day?

More red state welfare.

As for any governor, once it was passed, is going to do what they can to bring home as much of it as possible and it's possible he is giving into the demands of the state legislature. Maybe part of political manouvering between the gov and the legislature, i.e. you give me this, we'll give you that.
Ah....politics.....
so, you like fucking hypocrites?
i dont
there is a way for him to do this via his own state and their resources
and, after he made a fuss about other rail systems

Question: Do highspeed trains such as this carry freight? Or just passengers?
dont know, but i suppose they could
what he really should be for is for a private firm to step in and build and run one for freight from NO to Chicago
it could also carry passengers if needed

Ah....politics.....
i dont

What?! Where in my post did I say I liked him? I was only ponting out what all good politicians do, horse trade and make the most of the situation given to them. It wasn't a comment on principles only on practical reality. The "good for him" was in response to the bold, italicised last paragraph.

[/B][/I]

Ah....politics.....
i dont

What?! Where in my post did I say I liked him? I was only ponting out what all good politicians do, horse trade and make the most of the situation given to them. It wasn't a comment on principles only on practical reality. The "good for him" was in response to the bold, italicised last paragraph.
ah, thanks for the clarification

i dont

ah, thanks for the clarification

Not a problem. Thanks for the apology.

Jindal reminds me of one of those bobble head's, I'd sure vote for him before Nagan, but still he should have his feet glued to a dashboard.
Brad Pitt beat Nagan? Fat chance dreamer.

what he really should be for is for a private firm to step in and build and run one for freight from NO to Chicago

That route would most likely involve MO, AR, MS and maybe TN. So Jindal can't be for it as just Governor, he would cross state lines. So that's not fair. It may be a good idea, but not within his purview.

What does the route you proposed seek to promote? What does LA have that Chicago needs/wants? and vice versa? the states in between?

That route would most likely involve MO, AR, MS and maybe TN. So Jindal can't be for it as just Governor, he would cross state lines. So that's not fair. It may be a good idea, but not within his purview.

What does the route you proposed seek to promote? What does LA have that Chicago needs/wants? and vice versa? the states in between?
NO is one of the largest ports for shipping in the country
chicago is a big user of freight
seems like a good idea
but not with federal funds

Forum List

Back