Bob Barr Only Candidate on Texas Ballot

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Barr Only Presidential Candidate on Texas Ballot

Republicans, Democrats miss deadline to file presidential candidates in Texas

Atlanta, GA - Bob Barr is slated to be the only presidential candidate on the ballot in Texas after Republicans and Democrats missed the Aug. 26 deadline to file in the state.

"Unless the state of Texas violates their own election laws, Congressman Barr will be the only presidential candidate on the ballot," says Russell Verney, campaign manager for the Barr Campaign and the former campaign manager for Ross Perot. "Texas law makes no exceptions for missing deadlines.
"

The Texas Secretary of State Web site shows only Bob Barr as the official candidate for president in Texas.

"We know all about deadlines," says Verney. "We are up against them constantly in our fight to get on the ballot across the nation. When we miss deadlines, we get no second chances. This is a great example of how unreasonable deadlines chill democracy.
"

"Republicans and Democrats make certain that third party candidates are held to ballot access laws, no matter how absurd or unreasonable," says Verney. "Therefore, Republicans and Democrats should be held to the same standards.
"

Libertarian Party presidential candidate Bob Barr represented the 7th District of Georgia in the U. S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 2003.

Let's see how the Democrats and Republicans respond to ballot laws when they don't favor them over smaller parties.

FACTS:

PoliTex: On the Texas ballot, vote free or die

August 27, 2008
On the Texas ballot, vote free or die
For a few hours today, it looked like Texans going to vote for president in November would have a ballot choice consisting of Libertarian Party candidate Bob Barr. Ballot Access News, a non-partisan newsletter, posted a story saying that the Democratic and Republican state parties had missed a deadline of 5 p.m. Aug. 26 to certify their candidates. There was a blank space on the Texas Secretary of State's webpage for the major parties but none for Barr. Naturally, this was irresistible to the Libertarian camp.

"Unless the state of Texas violates their own election laws, Congressman Barr will be the only presidential candidate on the ballot," said Russell Verney, Barr's campaign manager who also managed the campaigns of Texas presidential candidate Ross Perot. "Texas law makes no exceptions for missing deadlines."

Ah, but it was not to be. Texas Secretary of State spokesperson Ashley Burton said that upon further checking, "Both parties filed before the deadline. We expect their amended filings after both parties finish their nominating process at the conventions." Texas law, changed in 2005, requires that the parties submit their candidates names 70 days before the election. Problem is, neither party has gotten through their nominating process. The Texas Republican Party listed John McCain and "running mate" as their candidates, with an amended certification after the GOP convention in St. Paul. Obama and Biden will be certified after the Democratic Convention.

-- Maria Recio
Ballot Access News Blog Archive Democrats, Republicans Miss Texas Deadline to Certify Presidential Nominees
mailto:[email protected]

Right, "upon further checking" they find that the two biggest parties did in fact file on time. As if they didn't check, re-check, and then check again a few more times when they first noticed that neither the Democrats or Republicans had filed on time.

Of course, McCain keeping Barr off the Pennsylvania ballot, for something far less substantial I'm sure, will hold.

Welcome to America, where we've got one more choice for President than the Iraqi's had under Hussein!

Right, "upon further checking" they find that the two biggest parties did in fact file on time. As if they didn't check, re-check, and then check again a few more times when they first noticed that neither the Democrats or Republicans had filed on time.

Of course, McCain keeping Barr off the Pennsylvania ballot, for something far less substantial I'm sure, will hold.

Welcome to America, where we've got one more choice for President than the Iraqi's had under Hussein!

Another strike against McCain--he's one of the most power hungry candidates I've ever seen. Going as far as to consider be Kerry's running mate was all I needed hear about this guy.

It's just a shame that third parties and their candidates have to run through hoops to get on the ballot, and then they get challenged by Republicans or Democrats because those parties are afraid that maybe, just maybe, those third parties have a better platform than they do. So what is their solution? Take away the choices of the American people. Did I believe Bob Barr was going to win Texas? Of course not. But it would have been nice to see the two major parties sweat for a while. Instead we get, "Oh wait! We were wrong, they actually did file on time!" Bull.

It's just a shame that third parties and their candidates have to run through hoops to get on the ballot, and then they get challenged by Republicans or Democrats because those parties are afraid that maybe, just maybe, those third parties have a better platform than they do. So what is their solution? Take away the choices of the American people. Did I believe Bob Barr was going to win Texas? Of course not. But it would have been nice to see the two major parties sweat for a while. Instead we get, "Oh wait! We were wrong, they actually did file on time!" Bull.

You do understand that dems try to get dems off the ballot during primaries and repubs try to get repubs off the ballot during primaries. It isn't something directed at only third party candidates.

And did your really think Texas was going to turn over their electoral votes to a third party candidate and let a dem walk in the door without a fight? come now...

You do understand that dems try to get dems off the ballot during primaries and repubs try to get repubs off the ballot during primaries. It isn't something directed at only third party candidates.

And did your really think Texas was going to turn over their electoral votes to a third party candidate and let a dem walk in the door without a fight? come now...

We sure as hell did let a dem walk right in--check out your history.

I understand that it's harder for third party candidates to get on the ballots in the first place, and then harder for them to remain on the ballot than it would be for a Democrat or a Republican. You are right, however, about that.

As for your second point, I believe I already answered that one... :cool:

I understand that it's harder for third party candidates to get on the ballots in the first place, and then harder for them to remain on the ballot than it would be for a Democrat or a Republican. You are right, however, about that.

As for your second point, I believe I already answered that one... :cool:

The most popular 3rd party candidates I can think of in my lifetime were Wallace, Nader, and Perot and none of them did much of anything even though Nader and Perot are accused of giving this party or that a win.

Unless I am mistaken, Abraham Lincoln was the last 3rd party candidate to actually win.

You forgot Teddy Roosevelt and the Bull Moose party.

T.R's stated reason for breaking away from the Republicans and forming his own party

"To destroy this invisible Government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day." - 1912 Progressive Party Platform, attributed to Theodore Roosevelt[1] and quoted again in his autobiography[2] where he connects Trusts and monopolies (sugar interests, Standard Oil, etc.) to Woodrow Wilson and Howard Taft, and consequently both major political parties. "

I'm telling yas', they're just not making Republicans the way they used to, folks.

If only they did, I'd be a very loyal member of the GOP.

The result was a deep split in the new party that was never resolved. Roosevelt's philosophy for the Progressive Party was based around New Nationalism, which was the belief in a strong government to regulate industry and protect the middle and working classes. New Nationalism was paternalistic in direct contrast to Woodrow Wilson's individualistic philosophy of "New Freedom".

now that would have been something i would like to see; the dems and repubs both screwing up and losing a state's vote. would never happen, of course, as they have too much power.

i do wish the repubs would be closer to the libertarian ideology, though. they should have reduced govt size under bush, not added to it.

sorry off topic. I wanted to show you this story I found.

Don Alexander, an IRS commissioner in the 1970s and now a tax attorney in Washington, said while it's not unusual for individuals to take on the agency, "most of them lose."
Seven years later, lone accountant beats IRS
Tax analyst: ‘Tens of thousands of people could be in line for a refund’

Ulrich concluded that policyholders had paid for their ownership rights through their premiums so the distributions should have been tax-free.
"Largely I was regarded as a lunatic," he said, who "would never prevail against the IRS."
But the IRS wasn't pleased with Ulrich, accusing him of promoting abusive tax shelters and demanding the names of his clients, which he said he refused to provide.

I'm still waiting for my friend to email me. Sorry it is taking so long. I like to hear from both sides, especially you being a lawyer, I want you to squash the theory that the irs and income tax and federal reserve are all illegal operations, if that is the case. I just thought of you when I saw this article.

The Federal Reserve is technically an illegal operation, a bunch of un-elected officials printing paper money and being held accountable to almost no one. Also the Constitution states that American currency must be backed by gold or silver.

You weren't talking to me, but I thought I could shed some light.

Forum List

Back