Bob Barr Only Candidate on Texas Ballot

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Barr Only Presidential Candidate on Texas Ballot

Republicans, Democrats miss deadline to file presidential candidates in Texas

Atlanta, GA - Bob Barr is slated to be the only presidential candidate on the ballot in Texas after Republicans and Democrats missed the Aug. 26 deadline to file in the state.

"Unless the state of Texas violates their own election laws, Congressman Barr will be the only presidential candidate on the ballot," says Russell Verney, campaign manager for the Barr Campaign and the former campaign manager for Ross Perot. "Texas law makes no exceptions for missing deadlines.
    "

The Texas Secretary of State Web site shows only Bob Barr as the official candidate for president in Texas.

"We know all about deadlines," says Verney. "We are up against them constantly in our fight to get on the ballot across the nation. When we miss deadlines, we get no second chances. This is a great example of how unreasonable deadlines chill democracy.
    "

"Republicans and Democrats make certain that third party candidates are held to ballot access laws, no matter how absurd or unreasonable," says Verney. "Therefore, Republicans and Democrats should be held to the same standards.
    "

Libertarian Party presidential candidate Bob Barr represented the 7th District of Georgia in the U. S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 2003.

Let's see how the Democrats and Republicans respond to ballot laws when they don't favor them over smaller parties.

2. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    FACTS:

PoliTex: On the Texas ballot, vote free or die

3. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Right, "upon further checking" they find that the two biggest parties did in fact file on time. As if they didn't check, re-check, and then check again a few more times when they first noticed that neither the Democrats or Republicans had filed on time.

Of course, McCain keeping Barr off the Pennsylvania ballot, for something far less substantial I'm sure, will hold.

Welcome to America, where we've got one more choice for President than the Iraqi's had under Hussein!

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Another strike against McCain--he's one of the most power hungry candidates I've ever seen. Going as far as to consider be Kerry's running mate was all I needed hear about this guy.

5. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    It's just a shame that third parties and their candidates have to run through hoops to get on the ballot, and then they get challenged by Republicans or Democrats because those parties are afraid that maybe, just maybe, those third parties have a better platform than they do. So what is their solution? Take away the choices of the American people. Did I believe Bob Barr was going to win Texas? Of course not. But it would have been nice to see the two major parties sweat for a while. Instead we get, "Oh wait! We were wrong, they actually did file on time!" Bull.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    You do understand that dems try to get dems off the ballot during primaries and repubs try to get repubs off the ballot during primaries. It isn't something directed at only third party candidates.

And did your really think Texas was going to turn over their electoral votes to a third party candidate and let a dem walk in the door without a fight? come now...

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    We sure as hell did let a dem walk right in--check out your history.

8. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    I understand that it's harder for third party candidates to get on the ballots in the first place, and then harder for them to remain on the ballot than it would be for a Democrat or a Republican. You are right, however, about that.

As for your second point, I believe I already answered that one... :cool:

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The most popular 3rd party candidates I can think of in my lifetime were Wallace, Nader, and Perot and none of them did much of anything even though Nader and Perot are accused of giving this party or that a win.

Unless I am mistaken, Abraham Lincoln was the last 3rd party candidate to actually win.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    You forgot Teddy Roosevelt and the Bull Moose party.

T.R's stated reason for breaking away from the Republicans and forming his own party

I'm telling yas', they're just not making Republicans the way they used to, folks.

If only they did, I'd be a very loyal member of the GOP.