Boat living in Boston harbor.. has anyone boat lived before?

grow up. stop whining
it's unattractive

it's not a PM

want a private convo? GOT TO PM!!! LOL

Oh, really? I could care less whether you believe it or not. The conversation was between Jitss617 and myself.

Hogwash? Really? Well, too bad for you I won’t post pictures of us on it, just to prove it to you.
hogwash

it depends on what coast and in what state or country in which one is living in a boat

and some harbors are so messy, waves would not rock any normal person to sleep. LOL
your anecdotal stories do not counter the broader points and facts
Do you have any experience to add to the post?
I did. I grew up on Boston harbor, knew people who lived there in the best years and the worst years weather wise, and lived on harbors out west.

We lived on our houseboat during the summer for 2 years. It was awesome. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. And there is nothing like the gentle rock of a boat for sleeping well.
Some do not do well with it, though.
Worries of mold, etc., in my opinion are being over hyped. When you live on it, it is usually opened up, and reduces the effects of mold, as well as doing a weekly cleaning over all surfaces.
If you anchor off an island it will need to be a protected, sheltered area, to help protect from rough weather. Do you plan on a generator for power? If solar, remember, those cloudy days could shut your power down. I would also suggest having a runabout to pick up supplies, etc., so you don’t have to pull anchor every time you need something or want to go somewhere. Boats are not inexpensive, but without slip fees, much more manageable. They also depreciate very quickly.
Periodically you will have to pull anchor to refill water tanks, empty waste, etc, unless there are services available to come to you.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience. Just be sure to think through everything before you invest in one.
I believed it might be a fun idea for awhile, but it has to get lonely and feel as isolated as living in the back Woods after awhile.
many people are loneliest in places like Boston, LA, NY ... seriously

I don't know if you are joking or not, but it's a good point. If it were in a harbor with another 100 House Boats, it would just be like living in any community. People would have dogs, kids, local dances etc. No different than a trailer park I guess.

At our family cottage we had the Locks nearby and many big boats. I've also been out East and some paid for docking "rent" in a particular area with many boats. Some lived there for sure.
I’m serious.. docking fees are very expensive in Boston, so I would mostly anchor off a island for free, I would only dock occasionally,

But I am worried about the chopppy weather. And sleep. Is it hard to sleep on a boat? Solar panels for electrical.
hogwash

it depends on what coast and in what state or country in which one is living in a boat

and some harbors are so messy, waves would not rock any normal person to sleep. LOL
You are obviously against living on a boat. Why you feel so strongly I am not sure. Maybe just used to arguing on this site. You do realize we are talking about preferences here, it is not realy arguable. You either like that life style or you do not. Becuase waves bather you does not mean it is not normal to enjoy them. Small waves are not scary or unenjoyable for most. Inside a harbor one should not have to endure large deflections from waves on the boat. Out side of a harbor one could easily experience deflection levels larger than enjoyable. It does take some knowlege of the water to have an enjoyable experience. Knowing where to ancor for sleep is part of that knowlege and knowing how large a boat can take what swells. I would imagine you have been out on a boat to small for the swells and it scared the hell out of you. I have been there my self just not recently. I recently witness such a thing on lake erie, a tiny boat out there that was deflecting over 30 degrees from bow to stern. Idiots should not have been out there! That would be scary as hell. Luckily I have never experienced that type of deflection myself might make me never want on a boat again.

You are obviously against living on a boat.

Why you feel so strongly I am not sure. Maybe just used to arguing on this site. You do realize we are talking about preferences here, it is not realy arguable. You either like that life style or you do not. Becuase waves bather you does not mean it is not normal to enjoy them. Small waves are not scary or unenjoyable for most. Inside a harbor one should not have to endure large deflections from waves on the boat. Out side of a harbor one could easily experience deflection levels larger than enjoyable. It does take some knowlege of the water to have an enjoyable experience. Knowing where to ancor for sleep is part of that knowlege and knowing how large a boat can take what swells. I would imagine you have been out on a boat to small for the swells and it scared the hell out of you. I have been there my self just not recently. I recently witness such a thing on lake erie, a tiny boat out there that was deflecting over 30 degrees from bow to stern. Idiots should not have been out there! That would be scary as hell. Luckily I have never experienced that type of deflection myself might make me never want on a boat again.
Nope, but you obviously have a difficult time with comprehending what people are saying. I merely point out how difficult it can be and take apart falsehoods. I told you I've known people who've lived on boats in harbors, especially Boston Harbor.

My other point was that anyone who can afford to live on a boat in Boston must surely be able to afford an apt somewhere in the Boston area

You took apart no falsehoods. Only in your mind.

Why you feel so strongly I am not sure. Maybe just used to arguing on this site. You do realize we are talking about preferences here, it is not realy arguable. You either like that life style or you do not. Becuase waves bather you does not mean it is not normal to enjoy them. Small waves are not scary or unenjoyable for most. Inside a harbor one should not have to endure large deflections from waves on the boat. Out side of a harbor one could easily experience deflection levels larger than enjoyable. It does take some knowlege of the water to have an enjoyable experience. Knowing where to ancor for sleep is part of that knowlege and knowing how large a boat can take what swells. I would imagine you have been out on a boat to small for the swells and it scared the hell out of you. I have been there my self just not recently. I recently witness such a thing on lake erie, a tiny boat out there that was deflecting over 30 degrees from bow to stern. Idiots should not have been out there! That would be scary as hell. Luckily I have never experienced that type of deflection myself might make me never want on a boat again.
Nope, but you obviously have a difficult time with comprehending what people are saying. I merely point out how difficult it can be and take apart falsehoods. I told you I've known people who've lived on boats in harbors, especially Boston Harbor.

My other point was that anyone who can afford to live on a boat in Boston must surely be able to afford an apt somewhere in the Boston area

I don’t plan on living in the Boston harbor, I would drop anchor on a closed island, I would dock in Boston periodically . But yiubare right it is very rocky that why I am asking for some information from people that have slept on a boat in Boston harbor. Can I talk to them?

so rent is very high in Boston and I am thinking about buying a house boat to live in for a little while to save money.

If anyone had ever lived in a boat can you tell me the pros and cons?? Thanks
It's too cold to spend the winter in Boston Harbor. Float the boat to one of the Carolinas, then it would be good, except during a hurricane.

so rent is very high in Boston and I am thinking about buying a house boat to live in for a little while to save money.

It's too cold to spend the winter in Boston Harbor. Float the boat to one of the Carolinas, then it would be good, except during a hurricane.
I would obviously have heat on the boat

That's not really the point. If you are going to spend the winter never going outside your cabin, why bother moving onto a boat?

That's not really the point. If you are going to spend the winter never going outside your cabin, why bother moving onto a boat?
What are you saying? So confused are you thinking I’m never going to leave my cabin? Wtf?

Forum List

Back