Boardwalk Empire

I am spoiled by Rome and (mostly) Deadwood so Boardwalk will need to come up with a lot more than is promised in this first episode, which is as fragmented as were pre-motion picture era weekly stage plays.

The sets are an excellent visual experience. Buscemi is very good but the supporting cast is just okay. Overall the production is trying to pack too much into much too small a time frame. It seems chopped.

Hopefully the first episode was planned to be just an introduction to the theme and it will pick up speed and substance. But if it manages to graphically reveal just how harmful prohibitions are to society I will be satisfied.

Bottom line: At its worst, Boardwalk can't help being a lot better than such low-budget pap as Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage.

As an afterthought, I think the Showtime series, Mad Men is very much worth watching. Maybe it's because I'm an old fart and the social ethos is familiar and nostalgic. Anyone else watch it?

I am spoiled by Rome and (mostly) Deadwood so Boardwalk will need to come up with a lot more than is promised in this first episode, which is as fragmented as were pre-motion picture era weekly stage plays.

The sets are an excellent visual experience. Buscemi is very good but the supporting cast is just okay. Overall the production is trying to pack too much into much too small a time frame. It seems chopped.

Hopefully the first episode was planned to be just an introduction to the theme and it will pick up speed and substance. But if it manages to graphically reveal just how harmful prohibitions are to society I will be satisfied.

Bottom line: At its worst, Boardwalk can't help being a lot better than such low-budget pap as Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage.

As an afterthought, I think the Showtime series, Mad Men is very much worth watching. Maybe it's because I'm an old fart and the social ethos is familiar and nostalgic. Anyone else watch it?

Rome sucked as far as i am concerned.....but Deadwood was great.....right now i am having a blast watching the reruns and getting ready for the new season of EASTBOUND AND DOWN......Kenny Powers....the most arrogant asshole ever....:lol:

I loved Rome and never got into Deadwood.

I think that given time, Boardwalk will find its legs. Still need some more character development. There has to be a character in there that you give a shit about

I think that given time, Boardwalk will find its legs. Still need some more character development. There has to be a character in there that you give a shit about

I'd rate Deadwood as a very close second to The Sopranos.

"Cocksucker" and "go fuck yourself" notwithstanding, the dialog in that show was spectacular but you really had to watch it more than once to get the gist of the plot.

I wish they'd rerun it. Al was one of the greatest characters of all time.

I'd rate Deadwood as a very close second to The Sopranos.

"Cocksucker" and "go fuck yourself" notwithstanding, the dialog in that show was spectacular but you really had to watch it more than once to get the gist of the plot.

I wish they'd rerun it. Al was one of the greatest characters of all time.

If BE wants to be as hot as The Sopranos, they'll need better theme music..

Imo, Sopranos theme was just about the best ever:

You woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun,
Mama always said you'd be
The Chosen One.

She said: You're one in a million
You've got to burn to shine,
But you were born under a bad sign,
With a blue moon in your eyes.

Perfect for that series.

[...] Rome pissed me off to no end. Deadwood took a while to grow on me.
What didn't you like about Rome? I thought it was very entertaining and it did provide a fanciful glimpse of life in the time of Julius Caesar.

Deadwood was equally fantastic but made interesting by the profane dialogue delivered in Shakespearean pentameter and the extremely realistic sets. The acting was very good, too.

I can enjoy such fanciful renditions of historic periods because they are an escape from the crush of reality and I don't expect them to be anything more. One very good example is Dances With Wolves. Utterly fantastic and a wonderful mind trip. But that movie depends entirely on the music score without which it would be laughable.

Another excellent series was The Tudors. While Henry VIII was a fat, smelly little tryant with rotten teeth he was played by Jonathan Rhys Myers, a handsome young man, and the visual deception made the situationally accurate story line thoroughly enjoyable. I liked every minute of it from the first to the last segment.

Three superlative shows on TV: Boardwalk, Mad Men, and Rubicon.

And they all are on at the same time!

Three superlative shows on TV: Boardwalk, Mad Men, and Rubicon.

And they're all on the same time!

I've watched the first two episodes. Most of the characters are not particularly appealing - but the sets and ambiance are very well done. The only way this thing can pay off is if Nucky gets it in the end.

Nice to see Steve Buscemi get the central starring role - he's a fine actor (and his delivery of this line in Con Air is one of my all time favs: "Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash." )

I've watched the first two episodes. Most of the characters are not particularly appealing - but the sets and ambiance are very well done. The only way this thing can pay off is if Nucky gets it in the end.

Nice to see Steve Buscemi get the central starring role - he's a fine actor (and his delivery of this line in Con Air is one of my all time favs: "Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash." )

I agree with the character development. Not many characters you give a shit whether they die or not

Forum List

Back