Blues any worthwhile groups around??

B

Blighty

Got a big passion for Blues, is there any new groups or individuals to look out for from the States?

English Blues is nearly dead once the likes of Eric Clapton, Peter Green, John Mayall, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page etc retire there’s no new generation, no one to take up the fight to show we English can play the blues.

So what are the recommendations on new up and coming Blues groups? Is there any?

Just bought "Me and Mr.Johnson" Eric Claptons tribute to Robert Johnson it’s superb.

"Me and Mr. Johnson" is one of the best CD's I've heard in years. Would you believe that some critics here in the states have panned it--saying it's not "authentic" enough? Those turds couldn't carry Eric Clapton's guitar case, much less form a coherent thought about his music.

The blues scene is pretty stagnant over here, too--mostly SRV clones. But I hear some good blues on the nightclub scene--pretty happenin' in Cincinnati, Ohio. You never know where the next gem is going to come from.

Nice to talk to another Mayall fan. Did you ever hear his 1971 album, "Jazz--Blues Fusion?" That's as good as it gets!

In reply to musicman: -

Last July (03) I was lucky enough to see John Mayall's Bluesbrakers in Liverpool (England). It was amazing a through the ages concert from the old to the new. It was part of the Eric Clapton series.

We also have the Masters series over here in England where again big players grace the smaller clubs. So far I've seen BB king (twice), Peter Green, Jeff Beck, Pink Floyd (technically not blues), to name a few.

It's a shame about Blues being stagnant in the US aswell as the the UK, but we may have some hope the BBC seem to be promoting it alot more in recent times. At the moment we've got a tv programme called the Blues it's a documentary on the the Blues from it's origins to the present day. We've just had a whole episode dedicated to the Father of British blues Mayall, the next few episodes are on how Clapton and Fleetwood Mac took up the batton in the 60/70's and took English blues to the front. The national newspapers have been raving about the programme and theres calls for it to be extended...so you never know it may encourage more people to take it up instead of this nasty nasty pop thing!"!

Ps Jazz-Blues fusion is one of the greatest :)

(I'm currently trying to get my fingers around Eric Clapton's version of Key to the Highway 1970 (Derek and the dominos)

Never thought I would like the Blues until I went to a Blue's Concert in NY - it was one of the best concerts I went to - Huey Lewis also made an appearance, which was great! I had a total blast!

Originally posted by Blighty
I'm currently trying to get my fingers around Eric Clapton's version of Key to the Highway 1970 (Derek and the dominos)

Hell, you've got my respect right off the bat for even trying that! Clapton is fluent in every genre. Did you happen to see the tribute to George Harrison, "Concert for George"? I enjoyed that show on every level imaginable. But I was extremely impressed with the fact that Clapton played a nice acoustic lead to some of that crazy-ass Indian music.

In addition to hacking around on guitar, I also beat the drums. Clapton's uncanny rhythmic sense so affected me in my early years that I count him as one of my major influences, right up there with Buddy Rich, Mel Taylor, and John Bonham.

As you might have guessed, I'm a bit of a Clapton fan.

That makes two of us then Claptons my favourite guitarist. This may sound strange but he wasnt the first guitarist I came across. I'm 20 and have been playing guitar for about 5years when I started everyone was like God theres this guitarist Hendrix you got to listen to his music..so obviously not knowing any better I did and was instantly impressed.. I then found Hank Marvin, Ray-Vaughan, Jimmy page

Then about a year later (after buying every Hendrix albumn I could get hold off) I was given two CD's "Eric Clapton Blues and Derek and Dominos live at the Filmore" Stuck them on and was a changed man. The guitar style was everything I was looking for It contained something Hendrix and the others didn't, minimal notes maximum effect more hair standing on end moments.

So I set about learning the Clapton style I will never get it fully mastered, but thats how I like it, I dont sound like a clone I've got the space to fit my own style on parts. Some rhythm sections are just pure alien "Blues Power" springs to mind.

Favourite songs: White Room, Layla,Bell bottom Blues,Crossroads, Circus left town, Have you ever loved a woman,Why does love got to be so sad, Key to the Highway

If you ever get the chance to see him live go its worth every penny. I've seen him twice.

Biggest musical influences: Beatles (I from L'pool), Clapton, BB King, Muddy waters, Robert Johnson.

Originally posted by Blighty
..... I then found Hank Marvin, Ray-Vaughan, Jimmy page.....
Biggest musical influences: Beatles (I from L'pool), Clapton, BB King, Muddy waters, Robert Johnson.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in your conversation with Musicman.

Ought'a check out these guys too.

Danny Gatton/ Frank Gambale/ Chris Duarte/ Adrian Legg

Then there's always Eric Johnson /Satriani/ Vai.

Forum List

Back