Blue Screen of Death

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
So this morning hubs turns on the computer and . . . da da daaaaa . . . . we have the dreaded blue screen of death. We try to boot in safe mode, no go. We try to boot in any mode, no go. We try to boot from last good configuration. Nope. Cannot do anything. Laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525, Vista - - - oh, stop rolling yer eyes) is less than two years old but warranty is done. So he takes it to Best Buy to see if they can help. Best Buy gork pulls hard drive, plugs that into their computer, says 'your data is all there, hard drive is fine, it's the mother board, buy a new computer'. Just like that, no further testing no further nothing. Whaaaat a fucking moron.

Meantime, I am googling my heart out on the desktop trying to find some answers. Googled the error code we kept getting when the blue screen appeared and found the below link (post #5). We figured it was worth a try and after two attempts, voila! the laptop is up and running once again. From what we could tell something went awry or got corrupted within the start up process so we selected that as the option to fix and by golly, it fixed it.

I figured I'd post the link in case anyone else encountered the BSoD and maybe this would help them too.

Dell Error Code 2000-0142 - The PC Guide Discussion Forums

So this morning hubs turns on the computer and . . . da da daaaaa . . . . we have the dreaded blue screen of death. We try to boot in safe mode, no go. We try to boot in any mode, no go. We try to boot from last good configuration. Nope. Cannot do anything. Laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525, Vista - - - oh, stop rolling yer eyes) is less than two years old but warranty is done. So he takes it to Best Buy to see if they can help. Best Buy gork pulls hard drive, plugs that into their computer, says 'your data is all there, hard drive is fine, it's the mother board, buy a new computer'. Just like that, no further testing no further nothing. Whaaaat a fucking moron.

Meantime, I am googling my heart out on the desktop trying to find some answers. Googled the error code we kept getting when the blue screen appeared and found the below link (post #5). We figured it was worth a try and after two attempts, voila! the laptop is up and running once again. From what we could tell something went awry or got corrupted within the start up process so we selected that as the option to fix and by golly, it fixed it.

I figured I'd post the link in case anyone else encountered the BSoD and maybe this would help them too.

Good for you...congrats on that. What a jerk at BB. You should go see him again and tell him how WRONG he was.

whew.....
I didn't click, but I'm guessing it was a registry kernel out of place?
I'd be tempted to go back to BestBuy and have a talk with the geek and his manager

whew.....
I didn't click, but I'm guessing it was a registry kernel out of place?
I'd be tempted to go back to BestBuy and have a talk with the geek and his manager

I couldn't cut and paste yesterday, we still had to update some stuff. Here's what the poster's response was in the link I posted. In addition to the self test error, there was also an error about start up so when we finally got to a selection screen, we went with that fix. We had to run the disk several times and try rebooting several times and eventually it fixed whatever the problem was. Since the BSoD can happen without warning and to any computer I figured I'd post this, maybe help someone else out.

Hiya People - I have successfully managed to fix this error.

I too have experienced similar problem where for no reason our Dell Vostro 1510 laptop just stopped working without warning, no noises, no bumps, no spikes and no other significant identifiable reason to stop working.

Received the Blue Screen and after not being able to boot up in safe mode, or in safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompts.

The Blue Screen came up with :
error code : 0142
message error code : 2000-0142

Another diagnostic message
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Also got error messages during diagnostics, however the above seem to be the common theme of many other peoples problems.

After trawling through countless forums and numerous google combinations seeking info on this issue, no one seemed to be able to offer a solution to get the machine operational to be able to save data.

This is what I did after piecing together snippets of info from multiple websites and hours of frustration.

Insert your OS disk into your cd/dvd drive
As the machine boots up - it should have an option to hit F2 or F12
Hit the F12 key
This will give you the option of where to boot your machine from.
Select boot from CD/DVD drive

For me windows loaded some files and gave me an option to either install windows or repair.

I selected repair

I was then asked for the admin password -- typed it in.

It brings you to a command prompt :

Type in CHKDSK
or
Type in CHKDSK/R

Hit the ENTER key

Once your machine has finished and repairing the hard drive, type EXIT and press ENTER to restart your laptop.

PRESTO THE STUPID DELL LAPTOP IS NOW BOOTING UP AND IS NOW HAVING ALL ITS DATA BACKED UP.

I have also found another command that could be tried if the above fails. Bear in mind, i didnt have to do it, but will post it here anyway.

After the command prompt - type in FIXBOOT

According to the DELL website the error code 2000-0142 is a Drive Self Test failed error code. http://support.dell.com/support/topi...ED2&doclang=en

This has worked out for myself and i do hope it works for you.

Good for you...congrats on that. What a jerk at BB. You should go see him again and tell him how WRONG he was.

If I had been there I would have noted his name and would call them today to complain. Hubs won't ever do that. :rolleyes: Next time I'm in the store I will say something to them, just to let them know their 'experts' aren't.

LOL. Do you think anyone that actually knew anything about 'puters would work at BB :confused:
That's like asking for food prep advice from the fry boy at BK.:cuckoo:

LOL. Do you think anyone that actually knew anything about 'puters would work at BB :confused:

Good point! :lol:

Since they have a department dedicated to it, yeah we did. You're an odd duck . . . .

Since they have a department dedicated to it, yeah we did. You're an odd duck . . . .
Ask for a Dubya Too form.
If it's less than 40 grand, you are standing in front of an idiot.
Actually. To shop at BB, is to be an idiot.
You win, I lose.

Ask for a Dubya Too form.
If it's less than 40 grand, you are standing in front of an idiot.
Actually. To shop at BB, is to be an idiot.
You win, I lose.

Case in point.

I've been staring at a blue screen of death for hours!
(It's hypnotizing!)

f03f78087440.jpg

CCleaner is good. One quick way to reboot is to unplug your power and remove the battery. Then pop in the batt and plug in the power. I don't know if this creates other probs but I do it whenever my HP locks up.

I just had to dump my computer, and my friends reinstalled everything. It was a bitch trying to save all my pictures. It took about a week to get all my programs loaded again.

I just had to dump my computer, and my friends reinstalled everything. It was a bitch trying to save all my pictures. It took about a week to get all my programs loaded again.

Back up your stuff regularly and you won't lose anything. We bought an external hard drive for pics and music cause the usb flash drives weren't holding enough. My stuff is backed up. The hubs? Not so much. Even after we got the BSOD and the possibility of losing all his music . . . he still hasn't backed his shit up. Like . . . . how duh can he be?? Hey, not my problem.

My friend's newish Asus with Windows 7 was experiencing semi-frequent BSODs and after some research, found Piriform CCleaner and ran a registry scan and fixed all the issues it found. It worked fine after that, with no BSODs. Now I have a self-built PC of my own, and run CCleaner regularly and have never seen a BSOD.

Congrats on your friend's new anus.

My friend's newish Asus with Windows 7 was experiencing semi-frequent BSODs and after some research, found Piriform CCleaner and ran a registry scan and fixed all the issues it found. It worked fine after that, with no BSODs. Now I have a self-built PC of my own, and run CCleaner regularly and have never seen a BSOD.

Congrats on your friend's new anus.

Interesting use for a computer.
(Betcha it was made by Rooter Rooter).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back