Bloomberg, Smoking, and Hypocrisy

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
After being caught off guard when the city’s health commissioner first proposed the idea, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said on Tuesday that he was leaning toward seeking a ban on smoking at city parks and beaches.

Mr. Bloomberg said the ban made sense because it would cut the health risks of secondhand smoke and reduce littering by smokers.

“We’re talking about banning smoking on beaches and in parks, and it’s partially because you can breathe the air,” Mr. Bloomberg said when he was asked about a ban. “It’s in the open air, but the air wafts in your direction. But it is also because people take their cigarette butts and the packages and just throw them away.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/nyregion/07smoke.html

FYI - Smoking is still permissable in NYC Hookah Bars. Doesn't Bloomberg "care" about those folks? :evil: Irish bars - no. Middle Eastern bars - fine.

After being caught off guard when the city’s health commissioner first proposed the idea, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said on Tuesday that he was leaning toward seeking a ban on smoking at city parks and beaches.

Mr. Bloomberg said the ban made sense because it would cut the health risks of secondhand smoke and reduce littering by smokers.

“We’re talking about banning smoking on beaches and in parks, and it’s partially because you can breathe the air,” Mr. Bloomberg said when he was asked about a ban. “It’s in the open air, but the air wafts in your direction. But it is also because people take their cigarette butts and the packages and just throw them away.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/nyregion/07smoke.html

FYI - Smoking is still permissable in NYC Hookah Bars. Doesn't Bloomberg "care" about those folks? :evil: Irish bars - no. Middle Eastern bars - fine.

Bloomberg is what some folks would call a useful idiot. He moves whichever way the political winds blow.

You are so right. How he ever called himself a Republican is beyond me. This is the same asshole who wants to ban salt in restaurants. Questionable Imams and illegal immigrants are his friends. Smokers, NYC bars and restaurants and opponents of the mosque are the enemy. Can't stand him.

Good for Bloomberg

Smokers are pigs, always have been

Breathe out smoke and say "Smell this"
Foul your clothes with smoke
Throw butts on the ground and say "Somebody pick that up"

Wasn't that whole Secondhand Smoke thang put to rest, already?

Cripes! If someone can't get HIGH off of secondhand herb smoke, just by being in the same room, how in the world can someone have HEALTH probs over it???

It's just another way to isolate us, I believe. I don't go to movies, anymore ~ I rent dvds and watch in the COMFORT of my own home, where I'm allowed to do whatever I'd like, including SMOKE. I don't go to nice, sit-down restaurants anymore ~ I buy the same food, eat at my leisure, and SMOKE a cig, afterwards. I don't go to bars, anymore, even though I get lonesome ~ I hit the package store, and drink at HOME, where I can also SMOKE.

I'm of the opinion that if cigs are the CAUSE of cancer? Why don't ALL smokers keel over from lung cancer???

AND

How dare our government tell us how we should conduct our businesses? If I owned a bar, AND I, myself smoke cigs, I'd want to allow it. If folks didn't like it? They could go to Joe Non-Smokers bar, you know?

When you decide to QUIT letting the supply meet the demand,

EVERYONE LOSES.

Good for Bloomberg

Smokers are pigs, always have been

Breathe out smoke and say "Smell this"
Foul your clothes with smoke
Throw butts on the ground and say "Somebody pick that up"

You know what?

Anyone with TWO FUCKING BRAIN CELLS realizes that cig butts are bad news.

Any smoker that just flicks it off? IS a moran. (I just LURVE that spelling! ;) )

BUT

Want to get rid of bugs in your garden? Flick 'em there.

I do what's known as Field Stripping mine ~ sort of roll all of the tobacco OUT of whatever's left, and pocket the filter. No DNA evidence left behind, and no foul on the ecology ~ quite the opposite, as the tobacco repels pests.

NOW,

STFU about smokers. If we didn't smoke and pay the UNGODLY taxes we do? YOU"D be on the line for 'em.

Yeah.

It's like that.

Well in NYC, if you own Joe's Irish Pub, you can't allow it. But if you own Abdul's Hookah Bar, smoke away. Does that make sense?

Nope.

But, Chanel?

We MUST be Politically CORRECT in how we see/allow thangs.

Yeah, Right.

HEY! Maybe we're trying to KILL OFF THE ABDUL's of the WORLD...

:lol:

For 150 years, non smokers had to breathe smokers air

Now they have to breathe ours

Sucks doesn't it?

You know what?

IT"S A PERSONAL CHOICE.

Yeah.

Sorry you can't give me mine, 'cuz, pal?

YOU"VE HAD YOURS ALL THIS TIME.

Asshat.

My attitude is: Fuck non-smokers, Fucking pussies. Wahhh. Second hand smoke wahhh. Grow the fuck up.

But the key here is, Who is anyone to question Emperor Bloomberg?! How Dare you!

Well in NYC, if you own Joe's Irish Pub, you can't allow it. But if you own Abdul's Hookah Bar, smoke away. Does that make sense?

Hmmm . . . . what would Joe's Irish Hookah Pub be allowed to do?

Why don't they enforce the littering laws/fines to bring in more money for the state? Oh that's right, not enough government control in that.

I grew up on a family of smokers. My Dad smoked, my Mom smoked my grandfather was a 2 pack a day unfiltered Camel smoker.

My grandfather died of emphysema. He wanted to go back to his hometown in Calabria to die, he made it as far as Rome. He was in an oxygen tent in a hospital in Rome and he would make the nurses turn the O2 off so he could light up. My grandfather was a real man. He drank wine daily and smoked and refused to let other people tell him how to live, turning into a non-smoking pussy would have been a far worse death for him.

Yes zoom I believe they would. But I imagine getting a license would be difficult. There are a few cigar bars in NY that still allow smoking, but a membership is required.

And as far as littering goes outside... I am at the beach several days a week. Cigarette smokers clean up after themselves here. The biggest litter problem is water bottle caps. Maybe they should outlaw water as well.

Hey, mang,

I don't know about you,

but I'm SO DOWN with NOT GIVING water drinkers THEIR choice!!!

:rofl:

These basters are RUINING life for the rest of us...

Fuck.

WHEN does it end?

When does everyone get a Free Choice?

GOD gave us that, for at least...

Well...it seems the mayor wants to suck up to Muslims. And when you do that you have to make concessions. You also have to leave your principles behind.

To be fair there are also Cigar bars still allowed to have smoking. Also in true Hookah bars there is no alcohol anyway, as observant muslims don't drink.

Forum List

Back