Bloomberg: Biggest Threat in NYC - Smokers

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
They have already been chased out of bars, offices and restaurants. Now, the city wants to ban smokers from outdoor public spaces like parks and beaches. The ban would affect some of the most crowded pedestrian spaces in the world, like Times Square.

First they came for the smokers in bars, and Jason Riley simply moved outside.

"I didn't stop drinking," Riley said. "If that was the object, to get me to stop drinking, it didn't work."

Then the New York City Health Department banned trans fat in foods.

"I'm fine with it," Riley said.

The city then went after excess salt, required calorie counts in the menus.

Riley said: "I don't think it makes a difference."

But now New York City is coming for Riley. He is standing in the middle of Times Square, taking a smoke break. Under the proposed law to ban outdoor smoking, he would be a criminal.

New Yorkers' Cigarette Breaks May Go Up In Smoke : NPR

When will Bloomberg go after the hookah bars? Oh wait. That would be racist. My bad.

Fucking assholes interfering with the rights of others annoy the crap out of me. I don't smoke but I support the right of smokers to make their own choices. Interesting how we vilify smokers, yet we totally love junkies. Odd world.

Beats me. But a hell of a lot of people work there. And there are a hell of a lot of bars in Times Square. Good thing midtown doesn't depend on tourism. Oh wait...

6a00d83451e1dc69e20111686753cc970c-800wi

You don't need cigarette breaks, it's for the children.

If they were really worried about the lungs of New Yorkers, they'd ban gasoline and deisel powered vehicles....at LEAST in Manhattan.

No this is a political move.

Right now scapegoating smokers is okay with enough Americans that doing this sort of thing wins votes.

You really want to save tax dollars in health care?

Start taxing FAT PEOPLE.

They, rather than smokers, typically end up costing the taxpayers far more in health costs.

Smokers die early and therefore actually end up costing the taxpayer less (in health care AND in social security) than the average nonsmoker.

Ironic isn't it?

How unlike Renaissance Florence is NYC. Had Il Magnifico ran Florence the way Bloomy is running NY he'd have been chased out to Sicily.

If you don't like it....don't go to NYC

That will show them bastards

Or you can just suck it up and keep your damned cigs in your pocket

If they were really worried about the lungs of New Yorkers, they'd ban gasoline and deisel powered vehicles....at LEAST in Manhattan.

No this is a political move.

Right now scapegoating smokers is okay with enough Americans that doing this sort of thing wins votes.

You really want to save tax dollars in health care?

Start taxing FAT PEOPLE.

They, rather than smokers, typically end up costing the taxpayers far more in health costs.

Smokers die early and therefore actually end up costing the taxpayer less (in health care AND in social security) than the average nonsmoker.

Ironic isn't it?

Yes it is. I believe that smokers can now walk and smoke, but they can't sit or stand. Maybe that was Bloomberg's evil genius. :lol:

I dont smoke and think smoking is stupid. But I do believe in freedom. The freedom to do whatever you want with your life and body as long as I dont have to pay for your choices.

You smoke and get lung cancer. Dont cry to me to pay for your medical costs to keep you alive.

Bloomberg is an idiot now and has always been one.

If you don't like it....don't go to NYC

That will show them bastards

Or you can just suck it up and keep your damned cigs in your pocket

I only ever went to NYC on business and was always glad to escape.
Heck a pack of cigs was $3 in NYC 15 years ago.

It was funny though, the locals would not mess much with hillbillies, they KNEW we all carried guns and knives and liked to use them ;)

Pretty pathetic watching grown men travelling in pairs for safety....

Last edited:
Who didn't see this coming?

Albany raises taxes on cigarettes to such onerous levels that purchasing them legally becomes all but unaffordable.

So what happens?

Folks buy them illegally. (Duh.)

As reports in The Post last Friday and Saturday show, that's what's happening: underground sales of 7.3 million packs a month.

Legal sales, by contrast, plunged 27 per cent, from 41 million packs a month to 30 million, between June and July -- when Albany jacked up butt taxes to as much as $5.85 a pack in the city.

Read more: NY cigarette taxes fuel black market--Editorial - NYPOST.com

Social engineering has a price tag. A big one.

Forum List

Back