Blood test for Downs creates ethical debate

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Shadow, Jun 13, 2011.

1. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,415

I have no issues with parents choosing life for a DS child.

I do have issues when the parents of DS children that they choose to keep..... want the government...and all of us...to pay for it the rest of its life.

Again, if the parents want it...be prepared to pay and care for it the rest of its life.

2. manifold

manifold BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,375
    Let's not forget the fact that in many cases DS is the result of in-breeding. Sort of nature's way of saying this gene pool is tapped.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

3. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232
    The financial needs that child MAY incur. Nothing is guaranteed in these cases. I will agree that they're more prepared to make an informed decision; but your prior post made it sound like you would consider anyone who didn't abort to be mentally deficient themselves.

Again, it seems to me that we're headed down a road where simply because of someone's socio-economic strata we tell them they have to abort a child that they want simply because the child may/will have a disability or birth defect. That's a very scary idea for people like me, syrenn. Under that ideology I NEVER GET TO BE BORN.

You know I'm a big believer in personal responsibility; but some things we don't get to make decisions about in life, and I have a hard time condemning people for bad things they didn't choose. I understand that many people look at a child as a choice. Well, many of us don't see it that way.

Nice to know that I qualify on the same rung of the family ladder as Lassie, and the cat.

Again, you know I'm a proponent of personal responsibility; but what is your answer for the idealogues who will not choose abortion? Are they to sit there and watch their child die? Are the doctors and nurses to sit there idly while that child dies? Obviously this is where hopefully private charities would step in to some point, but it sounds like you would like to see all private insurance companies relieved from the requirement to pay for any services as well. Is that your viewpoint?

I say this as someone who had to FIGHT an insurance company to be allowed to purchase additional life insurance when I turned 18 because of my SW diagnosis. When the adjustor met me, she was shocked. She couldn't believe that a SW patient could be an Eagle Scout, a multiple time letter winner in two different sports, active in all the different things I did, etc...

4. martybegan

martybegan Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,267
    Acutually DS is more the result of women having kids at an older age, with older ovum. As DS sufferers are usually sterile it is not a true hereditary disease. examples of diseases due to inbreeding is Hemophillia in the descendants on Queen Victoria, and "hapsburg jaw" in the hapsburgs.

Mental defects from inbreeding are usually far more rare genetic disorders.

5. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +928
    Are some people more likely than others to have a baby who has Down syndrome?

If you have already had a baby who has Down syndrome, you are more likely to have another one. For every 100 couples who have another baby, 1 will have another who has Down syndrome. If you have been diagnosed with a chromosomal abnormality, you also have an increased risk of having a baby who has Down syndrome.

Additionally, the risk of Down syndrome increases with the age of the mother, as shown in this table:

Risk of Down Syndrome

Mother's age Chance of having a baby with Down syndrome

20 years 1 in 1,667
    25 years 1 in 1,300
    30 years 1 in 950
    35 years 1 in 365
    40 years 1 in 100
    45 years 1 in 30

Down Syndrome and Your Unborn Baby -- familydoctor.org

Also looking at this article it also states what I and a few others brought up earlier...

A negative screening only means that your "risk" of having a downs baby is higher...it doesn't always guarantee the baby has downs syndrome.

That's one of the reasons why I question doctors highlighting and talking up the negatives in these situations. The original OP's bent was in thinking it is better to follow up with this while the mother is not yet "attached" to the idea of a "baby" as being good.

6. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +744
    They are Angels from God. Yes, I really believe that. Who wouldn't want an Angel?

7. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Somehow I doubt you'd consider me an Angel, Grace. Maybe a Fallen Angel.

8. rdean

rdean Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Right wingers don't care about old people. Why do they care about children with "Down's syndrome"? Aren't the leaders they just elected voting to cut the "Special Olympics"? What a confused bunch of right wingers.

9. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +928
    What do you care...libs just want to kill babies with birth defects while still in the womb.:cuckoo:

Talk about confused.

10. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,775
    Yes in every single case.