Blood test for Downs creates ethical debate

why is it creating an "ethical debate"? the anti-choicers may be creating a debate, but really, we've always been able to do genetic testing and have a result within the guidelines of roe v wade.

non-issue, imo. and too bad if the anti-choicers are cranky.

I'm not anti-choice, but I recognize why there is a debate. Some people don't want abortions made illegal, but still want it to be a choice taken into careful consideration. There are long-term emotional consequences to choosing an abortion, and while being able to have it performed sooner can decrease some of those feelings, it's still natural to feel grief and guilt. Advances in medical technology have not yet overcome our humanity.

There is an unsettling tone about "making it easier" for women to get an abortion....a sense of excitement that women would have this information before they could bond with the baby. Then it took on a manipulative twist with the comment that women could have this information before they've even told their husband they're pregnant.

Yes, it's a very unsettling tone about this idea, Sherry. This is the sort of thing I would expect to be met with excitement in places like China, Afghanistan, and the Third Reich (where certain types of children are/were considered less acceptable than others); not here in the United States.

The idea that ANY married woman would even consider entering into such a decision without consulting her husband and getting his input is quite disgusting and disheartening in my mind.

Why would anyone want to have a child with birth defects?

Why would anyone want a child that would grow up to be a prick? It takes all kinds. You are not better than a DS person. You might think you are but you ain't.

Seems to me that the woman being asked to take a child to term is the ONE AND ONLY person who gets to decide.

It's her body, after all. She's taking all the risks, and she is also the person most likely responsible for the child's welfare for the next 18+ years, as well.

If you are opposed to abortions, then by all means don't have one.

As to anybody else's reproductive decisions?

They are NOT your or my business.

When it no longer takes two to create that life, you'll have a valid point. But, right now (in 2011) it still takes a man and a woman. That man has as much say as that woman. It's his kid too.

There is an unsettling tone about "making it easier" for women to get an abortion....a sense of excitement that women would have this information before they could bond with the baby. Then it took on a manipulative twist with the comment that women could have this information before they've even told their husband they're pregnant.

Yes, it's a very unsettling tone about this idea, Sherry. This is the sort of thing I would expect to be met with excitement in places like China, Afghanistan, and the Third Reich (where certain types of children are/were considered less acceptable than others); not here in the United States.

The idea that ANY married woman would even consider entering into such a decision without consulting her husband and getting his input is quite disgusting and disheartening in my mind.

Love.

Interesting article...

Blood test for Down syndrome creates ethical debate

Snip...

Companies are racing to market a more accurate blood test than those available now that could spare many women the need for an amnio or CVS. It would retrieve fetal DNA from the mother's bloodstream. And the answer could come before the pregnancy is obvious to others. For some women, that might mean abortion is a more tenable choice. For others it could be a mixed blessing.

Snip...

A diagnosis before birth can pose a difficult challenge for couples as they decide whether to continue the pregnancy. It's not only about child-rearing, but also about what happens as the child grows into an older adult and may need care that the aging parents struggle to provide, says Dr. Mary Norton, a Stanford University professor of obstetrics and gynecology.

Snip...

Since the new blood test could deliver an answer so early — before a pregnancy is showing or the baby is kicking — it might make getting an abortion easier, several observers said. Women haven't bonded so much, and "they wouldn't have to explain to as many people," said Christie Brooks, who moderates an online support group for women who've gotten abortions for medical reasons.

"No one needs to know you're pregnant," said Skotko. "Maybe you haven't even told your husband."

Skotko said he respects that a woman's right to continue or terminate a pregnancy is a personal one for couples. But he's concerned that in the case of Down syndrome, many women may be getting bad information about what having the baby would mean. And if the new test became routine it would only exacerbate that problem, he said.

Studies show medical students are poorly trained about people with disabilities and that some doctors who make a prenatal diagnosis emphasize negative information about the condition, he said.

Blood test for Down syndrome creates ethical debate - Health - Pregnancy - msnbc.com

That's the part that grabbed my attention too. The fact that researchers seem "happy" women could be given this kind of information before they became "attached" to the idea of being pregnant. Then the highlighted portion. That studies show that doctors "emphasize" the negative information (almost seems like playing on your fears). Sounds like they like the idea of encouraging women to abort...instead of seeking out other information. Pretty sad.

Why is it unethical for people not to want to have a defective child?

Define 'defective'. I have two downs sydrome kids in my family. They are not 'defective', they are people - bright, funny, gentle, self sufficient, kind people. They are no more 'defective' than you or I.

I agree.

But I would raise a tricky ethical question.
Suppose a pharmaceutical company develops a drug that they believe can reverse or suppress some of the symptoms of this affliction.

Drugs need to be tested on human subjects before they can be prescribed for use in the general population.

Is it ethical to test a drug on someone who is not able, because of their medical affliction to supply their informed consent to being a "human guinea pig" for these drug trials?

More to the point, is it ethical to test a drug on a pregnant mother whose fetus is at risk of developing Down's syndrome (or some other condition) given that the fetus is certainly not in a position to supply its "informed consent" to be used in an experiment to ascertain the value of the drug or its possible harmful side effects on the mother or on the fetus?

There is a good book on this issue of "informed consent" in drug trials:

"Big Phama and the Risky World of Human Subjects"

Problem being these tests that are performed to detect Downs are not always accurate. I had a friend who was told her son was going to be born with downs...early on. The doctor kept having these "talks" with her during her office visits encouraging her to abort. She worried and spent lots of time with anxiety over the situation...only to find out after the baby was born that he was perfectly normal.

What if the only reason you aborted was because of an incorrect diagnosis?

Last edited:
Seems to me that the woman being asked to take a child to term is the ONE AND ONLY person who gets to decide.

Umm... It would seem to me that there's another material party to the creation of that child.... the FATHER. Why doesn't he get any say in this matter, according to you?

It's her body, after all. She's taking all the risks, and she is also the person most likely responsible for the child's welfare for the next 18+ years, as well.

She's also the one who made the Conscious Decision to engage in sexual activity. In my mind doing so is consent not only to the sexual act but also to the potential to be a parent (for both parties involved). Regardless of what measures are taken to prevent a pregnancy. If you really don't want a kid, there are medical options for both genders to almost ensure you never become a parent.

If you are opposed to abortions, then by all means don't have one. As to anybody else's reproductive decisions? They are NOT your or my business.

As I mentioned earlier, who's to say what the Fate of that child might be? Who knows if we've already aborted the child who would have found the cure for Cancer, solved our Energy problems, or figured out faster-than-light travel? So I would suggest the issue is most definitely society's business.

That would be one reason, Sherry. For some of us it's also the idea that we don't get to make decisions like that. We believe that they are made by a higher power for a reason that is not ours to know or debate. Whether you call that power Fate, God, or something else, it's still the same... there are things in this life that we don't get to choose whether we want to deal with or not.

If Skull wasn't on my Ignore List I'd suggest he contact me, and I could get him in touch with my mother, so she could answer that question for him.

Why would anyone want a child that would grow up to be a prick? It takes all kinds. You are not better than a DS person. You might think you are but you ain't.

When did I ever say I was better than anyone?

I asked why would anyone want a child with birth defects.

If there is an option for early genetic testing then why not get tested and see if a child will be healthy? And if it won't be healthy, why not terminate as early as possible?

Problem being these tests that are performed to detect Downs are not always accurate. I had a friend who was told her son was going to be born with downs...early on. The doctor kept having these "talks" with her during her office visits encouraging her to abort. She worried and spent lots of time with anxiety over the situation...only to find out after the baby was born that he was perfectly normal.

If i was aborted I would be none the wiser would I?

The what if you were aborted line is meaningless.

If i was aborted I would be none the wiser would I?

The what if you were aborted line is meaningless.

I was talking about the mother...not the child. What if she really wanted this baby...but was given bad information which caused her to abort. Her grieving would be ten times worse knowing after the fact the reports were wrong.

If there is an option for early genetic testing then why not get tested and see if a child will be healthy? And if it won't be healthy, why not terminate as early as possible?

Why not? Because it's a human being.... who knows what that human being will achieve once it comes into the world. I dislike this obsession with 'perfect', I like flaws. Flaws make us human.

I don't consider DS to be 'defective', it is just different. There is nothing bad about different. Perhaps because I actually know DS people, that I am more informed as to what DS means. To me, they are just people.

Eugenics. Nice.

downsyndrome.jpg

DSC_4226.jpg

DownSyndrome.jpg

These are people, not "mistakes"

Amazing that so many people don't realize that, EZ.

I could go on for hours with stories about comments people made to my parents about me in my youth.... "Oh, it must be so terrible having a child like that." "Don't you wonder what you did that God is punishing you like that?" etc....

Even many of the people in the same boat. My mother at one time looked at joining one of the support groups for parents with SW children. She read one of their publications and decided she didn't want anything to do with the group. It was entirely a bunch of people with the "woe is me" attitude about how terrible their life was because of their child. That wasn't her or my father's viewpoint on it at all.

Amazing that so many people don't realize that, EZ.

I could go on for hours with stories about comments people made to my parents about me in my youth.... "Oh, it must be so terrible having a child like that." "Don't you wonder what you did that God is punishing you like that?" etc....

Even many of the people in the same boat. My mother at one time looked at joining one of the support groups for parents with SW children. She read one of their publications and decided she didn't want anything to do with the group. It was entirely a bunch of people with the "woe is me" attitude about how terrible their life was because of their child. That wasn't her or my father's viewpoint on it at all.

I agree. I have a cousin who was born blind due to a birth defect. His parents never put restrictions on him and gave him a great deal of support and encouragement while he was growing up. He always enjoyed participating in the Special Olympics as a runner and was totally into health and fitness.

Grew up to be a therapist and now owns his own fitness and wellness business. I'm not sure why society wants to write off people like this due to a physical defect?

Last edited:
Why would we want to make people feel better about having an abortion?

How would knowing the baby will have Downs make anyone "feel" better about snuffing out a life?

this doesn't pass the sniff test and the only thing this can lead to is test to detemine other things that may not be perfect so the "mother" has an easier time with desiding whether or not to kill it.

Isn't there some saying about how you can determine whether or not a society is good or evil by how it treats it's weakest members?

Athens kept all it's babies alive and became the font from which democracy flowed.
Sparta killed any baby with any defect and became a city in Greece, that's ruled by Athens

I know who I'd like to emulate.

I agree. I have a cousin who was born blind due to a birth defect. His parents never put restrictions on him and gave him a great deal of support and encouragement while he was growing up. He always enjoyed participating in the Special Olympics as a runner and was totally into health and fitness.

Grew up to be a therapist and now owns his own fitness and wellness business. I'm not sure why society wants to write off people like this due to a physical defect?

It's because we've built a society where Different = BAD. Especially if that difference is obvious, and external. We don't teach anyone about EQUALITY. We teach young people about SAMENESS and call it Equality. We want to IGNORE differences rather than embracing them. We've also become so ridiculously PC, that we're absolutely terrified to point out that someone or something is different.

For example.... I was in a local eatery about two weeks ago to pick up some icecream. There was a gentleman there with his two girls (probably between 7-10 years old). The girls were waiting for their food order while dad placed their ice cream order. The girls were obviously looking over at me, and I could hear them wondering to themselves what was going on with my face. As their dad picked up the ice cream order I quietly and politely said to him... "I know they're a little too shy to come and ask, but if the girls are really interested in knowing, it's a birthmark." I walked out into the parking lot a minute or two later to find dad scolding the girls for getting caught staring rather than explaining to them what the birthmark was. Some people just can't be reached, no matter how politely you try.

Why not? Because it's a human being.... who knows what that human being will achieve once it comes into the world. I dislike this obsession with 'perfect', I like flaws. Flaws make us human.

I don't consider DS to be 'defective', it is just different. There is nothing bad about different. Perhaps because I actually know DS people, that I am more informed as to what DS means. To me, they are just people.

I worked with mentally retarded adults for a few years ranging from mildly to severely retarded and a lot of those people had Downe's. So don't think I'm ignorant about the mentally handicapped population.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting a retarded child.

Forum List

Back