"Blood Libel"

Ed Shultz of MSNBC has been relentless in his attack on Sarah Palin over the last few days.His last tirade was that she hasn't said anything about what happened and not asking for forgiveness for causing this despicable act.Now She has released a video.Now I'm sure Shultz and his buddies will attack her for somehow taking advantage of the tragedy and slamming her for using it for her advancement on the political stage...

Let's face it folks the left doesn't just not like her.They fear her for some reason and beyond that I will advance the notion that what they feel is just pure hatred for her.

i'm not real big on ed shultz. but it isn't 'hatred' to call palin on what she is.

you want to talk hatred? listen to rush and beck talk about the president.

if sarah has a problem with it, she should stop putting cross hairs over the faces of people she disagrees with and saying there are 'pro america parts of the country'.

dems don't hate her... we think she's an idiot and apparently as thin-skinned as her supporters who cry every time people are 'mean' to her.

You hate her cupcake. Always have. To deny it now makes you look stupid You own it.

you wish...

you think because YOU are full of hate that others are, too.

i just think she's a moron.

She's speaking out while the monkey in the White House is planning his next vacation and reveling in the recession and turmoil. The only thing what would have gotten Obama to speak out against the Progressive harsh rhetoric and hate speech was if the shooter were named Jared bin Loughner

Way to keep it classy, Francis.

And as I've watched you post for a few years, I fully realize you intentionally stuck the term "monkey" in your post to try and get someone to fly off on a "you're a racist" tangent.

Either way, It's still banal.

Thanks, man.

Sarah Palin causes a controversy with the phrase “blood libel.” What does it mean, and why are people upset?

The tragedy in Arizona continues to command national attention as well as launch unusual words like “vitriol” into the national vocabulary. Today Sarah Palin referred to accusations that imagery and rhetoric associated with her may have contributed to recent violence as a “blood libel.” Why has this phrase stirred up so much additional strife?
While Palin caused a linguistic sensation in 2010 with her coinage “refudiate” as well as other colorful malapropisms, our hope here is to shed some light on the current uproar rather than add to it.

Blood libels are allegations that a person or group engages in human sacrifice, often accompanied by the claim that the blood of victims is used in various rituals and/or acts of cannibalism. Its use is nearly always excluded to sensationalized accusations and high emotions. Throughout history, these claims have been frequently made against Jews living in Europe and even resulted in lynching and persecution of whole Jewish communities.

Pundits say that the reason this phrase has provoked so much anger is because Palin is using the specific and intense sense of “blood libel” to refer to verbal criticisms, implying an equivalence between both circumstances. The famous linguist Deborah Tannen speculated today that Palin and her advisors are unaware of blood libel’s historical meaning, and that the whole episode is a case of semantic bleaching, a phenomenon where a word or term with a specialized meaning takes on a more generalized set of associations with time. In this scenario, the term may simply be thought to mean “a false accusation regarding responsibility for harm to others.”

Sarah Palin's blood libel controversy --what does it mean? | The Hot Word

Blood Libel - The blood libel is a false accusation that Jews sacrifice Christian children either to use the blood for various "medicinal" purposes or to prepare Passover Matzoth (unleavened bread) or for vengeance and mock crucifixions. It is one of the central fables of Anti-Semitism of the older (middle ages) type. The blood libel is a phenomenon of medieval and modern Christian anti-Semitism, but spread to the Middle East as early as 1775, when there was a blood libel in Hebron. A second blood libel occurred in Damascus in 1840 and one occurred in Cyprus in the same year. As the blood libel was the subject of folk ballads and literature, it was not simply a religious superstition in Europe, but a staple of popular culture, like most anti-Semitic prejudices.
Blood libels in the both the West and the East were generally occasions for large-scale persecution and judicial murders of Jews, as well as the basis for expulsions and pogroms. There have been about 150 cases of blood libel that were actually tried by Catholic authorities, and many other rumored cases that never came to trial.

The enduring nature of the blood libel is one of its most remarkable features. It was an invention of the pagans. It was revived and exploited in medieval Christian superstition, later promoted deliberately by the counter-reformation and the Inquisition, By the 19th century, much of the "old" anti-Semitism of the medieval period had passed from the world, but the libel persisted. It has been transplanted to the United States and the belief flourishes in Muslim countries as well. Investigations, instigations and enforcement had been transferred in part from the Roman Catholic Church to lay authorities: Tsarist police, Polish police and even New York State Troopers.

Blood Libel

This is why the American Left fears and hates Palin.
The American left neither fears nor hates Palin. This is what psychiatrists call "projection". The American right traffics in hate and fear and paranoia.

Speaking as someone on the American Left, I find nothing but incredulity when considering Palin as a serious politico. I find her witless, simple, uneducated and incapable of anything but maybe running the Wasila Wendy's. I could not fear someone that incompetent unless she actually wins political office and sticks to her simplistic policies.
What is wrong with simplistic policies?
Two things should be apparent: the world is a complex place. A nuanced place. A place where every action can ricochet around the globe with consequences a simple plan could never foresee. It takes considerable study to make a plan that is effective and beneficial to the United States.

Second: we've tried simplicity before and rather than the coalition of George H. W. Bush, we got the coalition of the willing. We had lives and property ruined, debt added and billions gone unaccounted for after simplistic policies.

She's speaking out while the monkey in the White House is planning his next vacation and reveling in the recession and turmoil. The only thing what would have gotten Obama to speak out against the Progressive harsh rhetoric and hate speech was if the shooter were named Jared bin Loughner

You know, it would be nice if you could be 'un palin like' and get your facts straight. Everyone knows the POTUS (and referring to a black man as a monkey in America is indicative of racism......just in case you didn't know) is preparing for a trip to Arizona for the memorial. In reading your post, I'm afraid that you're coming off like Jared's postings.

IMO, she was doing exactly the thing she was criticizing.

WRONG. She ANSWERED THE WRONGFUL CHARGES against her.

She had ZERO to do with TUSCON...but SOME OF YOU expect her and frankly the rest of the American people to ROLL OVER and accept the crap...Ain't happening junior...

Your answer here is suspect.

LISTEN TO THE ANSWER dipwad...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb0VW8vnMhQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited:
IMO, she was doing exactly the thing she was criticizing.

I'm seeing that almost everywhere I look. :eusa_whistle:

Honestly though, I prefer that to Censorship, which just bottles up rage until it explodes.

They don't get it. She answered the charges against her....albiet she was NO WHERE NEAR the event...nor did the PERP even care of politics.

Ed Shultz of MSNBC has been relentless in his attack on Sarah Palin over the last few days.His last tirade was that she hasn't said anything about what happened and not asking for forgiveness for causing this despicable act.Now She has released a video.Now I'm sure Shultz and his buddies will attack her for somehow taking advantage of the tragedy and slamming her for using it for her advancement on the political stage...

Let's face it folks the left doesn't just not like her.They fear her for some reason and beyond that I will advance the notion that what they feel is just pure hatred for her.

i'm not real big on ed shultz. but it isn't 'hatred' to call palin on what she is.

you want to talk hatred? listen to rush and beck talk about the president.

if sarah has a problem with it, she should stop putting cross hairs over the faces of people she disagrees with and saying there are 'pro america parts of the country'.

dems don't hate her... we think she's an idiot and apparently as thin-skinned as her supporters who cry every time people are 'mean' to her.
she didnt

her fb ad only had them on a map of congressional races, similar to the one the DLC put out back in 2004

"Blood Libel" is an extraordinarily bizarre term for her to have used. Very poor choice of words, especially considering she is not Jewish, and Ms. Giffords is Jewish.

"Blood Libel" is an extraordinarily bizarre term for her to have used. Very poor choice of words, especially considering she is not Jewish, and Ms. Giffords is Jewish.

Politics is synonymous with bizarre. Millions of voyeurs debating what Palin REALLY meant or REALLY should have said ----now THAT'S bizarre.

Forum List

Back