Blogs? Feedback needed...

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I know a few of you for sure have your own blogs and quite possibly some others have them as well or have thought about having their own blog. Some people resist because they are unsure of how to use them, or they can be pricey if you choose to do your own hosting and purchase your own software. The only alternatives are free blogging services such as blogger.com, typepad.com... and other similar services.

I am thinking of opening a service that will allow users to create their own blogs in a matter of seconds. Fill out a simple form and the blog gets made on the fly. You have at least 20 templates to choose from, and more can be downloaded. Let's assume I host my service on "www.jimsblogs.com" (this is made up of course), then the user who creates a blog would have a permanent address of www.jimsblogs.com/username

The blogs will be free for generic uses, and extremely cheap for additional services. Maybe like 4.95 a year if you want the ability to post pics and like 7.95 a year if you want videos as well.

Also, and very important, all 3 would be supported free of charge. Need assistance with changing a template, colors, errors? We will do our best to resolve all issues asap and for free.

I know the USMB is a small sample of the internet but I wanted to get some small feedback to start with. This venture would be somewhat costly to get off the ground and I want to make sure I've thought of all the possible things that can set me back.

Advice? Comments? Would you create a free blog if you could?

Thanks!

I definitely think people would go for it. If I were you, I'd try to market it toward the high school crowd, blogs are really the "in" thing right now. I like the idea of having a few premade templates to pick from, my Myspace page is terribly lame just because I don't really know how to do a good layout with HTML or whatever.

Dan said:
I definitely think people would go for it. If I were you, I'd try to market it toward the high school crowd, blogs are really the "in" thing right now. I like the idea of having a few premade templates to pick from, my Myspace page is terribly lame just because I don't really know how to do a good layout with HTML or whatever.

You have a blog? Can we see?

the more the merrier...hell $7.95 per year for full service...count me in as long as the exposure pick-ups on google and yahoo are included!

You have a blog? Can we see?

Well, no blog on there right now, as a matter of fact, all that's there right now are two pictures and a kickass Bright Eyes song. I just started it up, eventually I'll hopefully have something going on there. Check it out here and comment! And if you're on Myspace, please be my friend!

Dan said:

That was my intent, high schoolers and college students for the most part. That will likely be the majority of the market but blogs are getting so popular lately that everyone is trying it out at some point.

MySpace started with good intentions but has turned into a playground.

The templates that will come with this will be great right out of the gate but editing the html is very easy too.

I can always help people with the layout if they need assistance.

archangel said:
the more the merrier...hell $7.95 per year for full service...count me in as long as the exposure pick-ups on google and yahoo are included!

That's what I figured, the price is low enough to encourage users to join who feel comfortable that support will be there should they need it.

Each entry and each page will definitely be searchable by all the top engines. I plan on making it so they visit often so as to constantly index the updates.

If it's successful I will be busy as hell supporting people probably but if I don't have to support I suppose it'll be because the venture failed!

Forum List

Back