Blind Medical Student Earns M.D.

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
fantastic story, not surprising with his attitude and dedication that he achieved this incredible milestone

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7318398/

Blind medical student earns M.D.
'Things are only impossible until they’re done'

The Associated Press
Updated: 8:24 p.m. ET April 5, 2005
MADISON, Wis. - The young medical student was nervous as he slid the soft, thin tube down into the patient’s windpipe. It was a delicate maneuver — and he knew he had to get it right.

Tim Cordes leaned over the patient as his professor and a team of others closely monitored his every step. Carefully, he positioned the tube, waiting for the special signal that oxygen was flowing.

The anesthesia machine was set to emit musical tones to confirm the tube was in the trachea and carbon dioxide was present. Soon, Cordes heard the sounds. He double-checked with a stethoscope. All was OK. He had completed the intubation.

Several times over two weeks, Cordes performed this difficult task at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics. His professor, Dr. George Arndt, marveled at his student’s skills.

“He was 100 percent,” the doctor says. “He did it better than the people who could see.”

Tim Cordes is blind.

He has mastered much in his 28 years: Jujitsu. Biochemistry. Water-skiing. Musical composition. Any one of these accomplishments would be impressive. Together, they’re dazzling. And now, there’s more luster for his gold-plated resume with a new title: Doctor.

Cordes has earned his M.D.
Continue Article @ Link

:bow3: amazing for him, but I really would not want him operating on me. I'm no doctor, but have been in surgery and there are things one must "see" to deal with. what about even a skin rash? bruising? but hey, he got his degree, so props to him. (did I just say props?)

Remind me not to have surgery done by him. I mean im deffinately impressed that he got this far. i dont think id want him working on my brain or giving me plastic surgery.

Remind me not to have surgery done by him. I mean im deffinately impressed that he got this far. i dont think id want him working on my brain or giving me plastic surgery.

He would have a very hard time diagnosing many illnesses as well. Visual perception is important to the diagnostic process.

PC equals death. If you're blind, skip the MD. Oh, wait. You can't read this website, so you can't take my advice. Cripes. Blind doctors are a bad idea for a thousand reasons. But we live in a society where cripples are heroes, no matter what, and no matter who they hurt. Sorry, but it's bullsheet.

William Joyce said:
PC equals death. If you're blind, skip the MD. Oh, wait. You can't read this website, so you can't take my advice. Cripes. Blind doctors are a bad idea for a thousand reasons. But we live in a society where cripples are heroes, no matter what, and no matter who they hurt. Sorry, but it's bullsheet.

To say nothing of the expense of adapting all medical equipment so the blind can use them. Nice accomplishment dude but please move on to your next challenge.

William Joyce said:

He could teach. And he can consult. its not like the degree is totally worthless. just almost worthless

NATO AIR said:
fantastic story, not surprising with his attitude and dedication that he achieved this incredible milestone

What an inspiring story , thanks NATO for bringing it to our attention . It just shows how unhandicapped some people can be with what seems like overwhelming problems to deal with . I saw a guy interviewed on a show about the Pope . He had no arms , all the way up to the shoulders . He played guitar with his feet and did it very well . He was able to play for the Pope many years ago and received a Papal kiss .He said it was the thrill of a lifetime and has gone on to become a successful tourer at Christian venues all over the world . He is also married with a kid .
Kind of makes me feel like an ass when I complain about a head cold .

sitarro said:
What an inspiring story , thanks NATO for bringing it to our attention . It just shows how unhandicapped some people can be with what seems like overwhelming problems to deal with . I saw a guy interviewed on a show about the Pope . He had no arms , all the way up to the shoulders . He played guitar with his feet and did it very well . He was able to play for the Pope many years ago and received a Papal kiss .He said it was the thrill of a lifetime and has gone on to become a successful tourer at Christian venues all over the world . He is also married with a kid .
Kind of makes me feel like an ass when I complain about a head cold .

Your welcome Sitarro.

I disagree with those who think his degree (and his efforts) are useless. He could become a research MD, or a medical expert on the handicapped. AIDS, cancer, countless other diseases and disorders, all are problems he could put his tremendous mind and talent to work on.

NATO AIR said:
Your welcome Sitarro.

I disagree with those who think his degree (and his efforts) are useless. He could become a research MD, or a medical expert on the handicapped. AIDS, cancer, countless other diseases and disorders, all are problems he could put his tremendous mind and talent to work on.

I agree , obviously he wouldn't be a surgeon , surgery is quite specialized and even medical school graduates with eyesight will never operate on a patient .In the article there was talk of him getting into psychiatry . . . I'm sure he would excell at that and research .

Forum List

Back