Blind Man's Bluff

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Blind Man's Bluff
The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage
by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew

A great read on submarine espionage from directly after WWII through the Cold War. How the US Navy developed submarine spying tactics and some of the mission subs went on into Russian waters. From taping into underwater phone lines to submarine collisions. Gives the reader a prespective on a very seceret world.
I also gained huge repect for submariners, those guys carried out missions, that if something went wrong and the were detected the possibility of scuttle the ship was actually an option. Imagine that. Anyway a good read.

that if something went wrong and the were detected the possibility of scuttle the ship was actually an option. Imagine that.
Sorry to sound stupid, but what's "scuttle the ship" mean? Just curious. Does it mean, like, self-destruct it or something?

No, kidding reminds me of the Kursk. The big Russian double hulled sub that sank. Some of those poor guys who survived the first explosion lived for an estimated 18 hours before lack of oxygen and heat killed them.

My brother-in-law loaned this book to me. It's about #12 on my nightstand right now! But you're the second person who's liked it so far, so I'll have to get to it.

Forum List

Back