Blast at US base in Mosul causes 'multiple casualties'

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
New's reports are saying up to 22 dead when a mortar or some other kind of explosive round hits a mess hall on a forward operating base in Mosul, during lunch. Soldiers are from Task Force Olympia.

Blast at US base in Mosul causes 'multiple casualties'

An explosion at a US military base in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul has caused many casualties, the US military said in a statement.

"At 12 pm (0900 GMT) today (local time) an explosion occurred at a US military installation in Mosul causing multiple casualties," it said.

"The cause of the explosion is under investigation."

Lieutenant Colonel Paul Hastings, a spokesman for Task Force Olympia in Mosul, said he would release no more details for the time being.

However, US media outlets are reporting that Pentagon officials have said 22 people were killed and more than 50 injured in the lunch time blast.

Mosul, Iraq's third largest city, has seen incessant violence for the past few weeks since Sunni Arab insurgents routed the US-trained police force in November while many US forces were concentrated on storming guerrilla bases in Fallujah.

Ethnic tensions have also been inflamed in a city that is home to both Arabs and Kurds.

The White House has reacted to the explosion in Mosul, saying that it would not let deadly violence "derail" democracy in Iraq.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan declined to comment specifically on the attack in the northern Iraqi city, saying: "I would leave it to those on the ground to describe the latest situation there."

But "as we move forward in helping the Iraqi people build a free, democratic future, the enemies of freedom will seek to derail that transition," McClellan told reporters.

"It's important that we continue to go after the Saddam loyalists and the terrorists who want to turn back to the past. They will be defeated...they are being defeated," he said.

The attack came one day after US President George W Bush acknowledged, in a year-end press conference, that bombings in Iraq were taking a toll on US morale but vowed to press forward with elections set for January 30.

"There are very hopeful signs but, no question about it, the bombers are having an effect," he said.

"They're trying to shake the will of the Iraqi people and, frankly, trying to shake the will of the American people."

-AFP/Reuters

-=d=- said:
I've got a good buddy in Mosel. :(

I'll pray for him just as I am praying for all the others. As you probably know, I have been following one of my old units pretty closely and it sucks when they have to announce on their website a new death. I read one of the obituaries they posted at the site yesterday and my eyes just filled with tears.

I've been ordering "Hero" Bracelets for those killed and me and my nephew (adopted son) where them in their honor.

hero bracelets? where do you find those? i know some folks who would be very interested in purchasing them and wearing them to honor those who have fallen, not to mention myself.

i hope the news accounts are wrong somehow and the numbers are much lower

NATO AIR said:
hero bracelets? where do you find those? i know some folks who would be very interested in purchasing them and wearing them to honor those who have fallen, not to mention myself.

i hope the news accounts are wrong somehow and the numbers are much lower

http://www.herobracelets.org/

Forum List

Back