Blasphemy!! World Chili Cook-Off to Allow Bean Recipes!!

Ask any Texan about putting beans in chili and they will tell you flat out that is a sin!!

What is the world coming to. :mad:

"The notion of putting beans in chili has been a sensitive topic as long as competitive cook-offs have been around.

So this year the International Chili Society is saying: Let's do both.

For the first time, the ICS will have traditional red chili and bean-optional chili categories at its 46th world championship event, which returns to Charleston starting Friday.

Chili purists contend beans are nothing more than filler. Proponents say they certainly belong.

Organizers and competitors say adding beans to the competition will do little to quash the debate over using them.

John Jepson of Merced, Calif., won the ICS red chili world title last year. He's entered in both the red chili and homestyle categories this time. He says the debate over beans or no beans will never end."

World Chili Cook-Off to Allow Bean Recipes - ABC News
Wow, this is an OLDIE but goodie thread. Of COURSE beans SHOULD be in chili. They give almost ANY chili an extra oomph, as it were. I make homemade chili with very lean ground turkey, a couple cans of spicy chili beans, a couple cans of spicy diced tomatoes, one can of medium enchilada sauce, and salt and pepper to season just right. The result is FANTASTIC. Although it's not MY recipe, it's one of my aunts' on my father's side. My father's brother's wife. Kudos to her.:)

Forum List

Back