Blasphemy!! World Chili Cook-Off to Allow Bean Recipes!!

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
Ask any Texan about putting beans in chili and they will tell you flat out that is a sin!!

What is the world coming to. :mad:

"The notion of putting beans in chili has been a sensitive topic as long as competitive cook-offs have been around.

So this year the International Chili Society is saying: Let's do both.

For the first time, the ICS will have traditional red chili and bean-optional chili categories at its 46th world championship event, which returns to Charleston starting Friday.

Chili purists contend beans are nothing more than filler. Proponents say they certainly belong.

Organizers and competitors say adding beans to the competition will do little to quash the debate over using them.

John Jepson of Merced, Calif., won the ICS red chili world title last year. He's entered in both the red chili and homestyle categories this time. He says the debate over beans or no beans will never end."

World Chili Cook-Off to Allow Bean Recipes - ABC News

I both types of chili--with or without beans.

Of course, if you make vegetarian chili, what are you going to put in it? Beans, Bean curds, bean sprouts. Something that has or made from beans.

By the way--is not Chili con Carne suggesting meat is added to the chili? So Meat does not belong. Texas has it backwards!!!:booze:

Ingredients:

1 lb pork (boneless country style ribs are best)
1 1/2 lb fresh tomatillos, thickly diced
1 large onion, thickly diced
1 large clove garlic or 1 heaping tbsp of chopped from a jar
1 medium-to-large jalapeño pepper, chopped small
1 stick of butter
1 cup (plus or minus) masa flour
1 can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes w/chiles
1 small can diced green chiles or 2 Anaheim peppers, grill roasted, peeled and diced
8 chicken or pork bullion cubes
1 medium yellow chili pepper

Melt butter in large sauté pan,...Add onion, garlic, ¼ of the tomatillos, chopped jalapeño, Ro-Tels and cumin…Sauté until onions are clear.

Sprinkle and mix in flour to make a roux…You want the consistency of the mixture to be cookie dough-like…Sticky and firm, yet not gooey.

Put the roux into a 5 quart slow cooker and simmer on high for at least 1 hr, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 and boil bullion cubes in 8 cups of water.

Remove crock from slow cooker and place in oven for 20 mins…This brings the temp of the roux significantly higher than that of the bullion, to eliminate clumps.

Remove roux from oven and add hot broth, stirring vigorously.

Dice and sauté (or sear on hothot grill then dice) pork.

Add pork, remaining diced tomatillos and optional finely chopped banana pepper, and slow cook for 1 hr or more.

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, corn muffins and/or corn tortillas.

The versatility of this base recipe is tremendously wide.

Make with vegi stock and tofu for vegetarian style.

Omit the pork for an awesome green wet burrito/enchilada sauce.

Add more jalapeños and yellow peppers to kick the heat up…Or toss in a finely diced habeñero for those with the serious hot tooth.

OH--I meant "Pork ribs are yucky" Hey Oddball, can I substitute the bouillon stock with a homemade vegetable stock like Court Bouillon?

Beans in Texas chili..............get a rope!! :mad:

2772052540_09191af635_z.jpg

OK, I was going to start a thread, but there's already enough.
Speaking of chili blasphemy, we made lasagna Thursday. Had about 3/4 lb of Italian sausage left. Made a small simple chili with jalapeño green pepper onion tomato sauce and my usual spices.

Not bad. Didn't have to run out for any ingredients.

I have never had a good bowl of chili in a restaurant. Home made is the best. My Moms had stewed tomatoes ,yellow onions , green bell pepper ,chili powder ,tabasco sauce ,black pepper ,salt, kidney beans, lean ground beef.

I have never had a good bowl of chili in a restaurant. Home made is the best. My Moms had stewed tomatoes ,yellow onions , green bell pepper ,chili powder ,tabasco sauce ,black pepper ,salt, kidney beans, lean ground beef.
That's the foundation of many a chili!

Forum List

Back