Blaming the Media

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
Since the election, liberals have spoken out about "fake news" believing that widely disseminated false information about HRC cost them the presidency and the Senate.

As a result of the rise of "fake news" Facebook has implemented a program to remove "fake news" from posts made by its users.

Conservatives have for many years complained about liberal-bias is most news media outlets. They believe media outlets are in the pockets of the DNC, ir a particular politicaan. At the same time they mustakenly believe that conservative-biased media is actually unbiased.

Everyone blames the media. Under a capitalistic economy, private news outlets must make a profit in order to survive. "Mainstream" media outlets, just like Fox News, Breitbart, Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, or any other private business, must have a product which sells. And that requires a niche in the market which will pay for such a product. MSNBC supplies a liberal niche, Fox News supplies a conservative niche, CNN has an idiot niche, and so on.

We blame the media for selling the product which sells - instead of blaming those who consume the media for buying the crap the media sells.

Don't blame the news outlets for maintaining their business. Blame those who can't or won't make the effort to check the source, to remain skeptical, to check their bias.

Does that remove from responsibility the media for the veracity of the information it disseminates? Is lack of faith in news outlets the inevitable result of the press, whether private or public? Has the 4th column fully crumbled?

What seems obvious to me is that news outlets can only held accountable by the market. If the news outlets sell false information that the market wants more than true information, then the market will not hold them accountable.

So stop blaming the media and start holding yourselves accountable.

I agree with you're points. But trusting facebook is like telling my dog to keep an eye on my steak. ;)

Last edited:
So stop blaming the political parties and politicians and start holding yourselves accountable. As for your media, recognize it as the corporate state propaganda machine it has been since Clinton deregulated the FCC.

Fail to see that having any impact on the dysfunctional political system or unsustainable economic system.

Force news anchors to tell the truth, make them broadcast naked. Then they have nothing to hide.

Force news anchors to tell the truth, make them broadcast naked. Then they have nothing to hide.
Naked? They wouldn't even be able to measure the gigantic Fox audience if their women appeared naked!!!

On a positive note though MSDNC would surely have to cut Ritchie Madow loose or the whole ship would go down.

dysfunctional political system or unsustainable economic system.

You say dysfunctional ...

3.jpg

I say AWESOME!

We are holding them accountable. Did you not read this week that the NYT vacated eight floors of their building in an attempt to generate rental revenue to offset cancelled subscriptions and lost advertisers?

New York Times to Sublease Office Space in Revenue Search

Really Missourian? Did you cancel your subscription to the NYT recently? Does this have to do with accountability or the ever-present shrinking of print media?

Nope, I cancelled my digital subscription to the equally liberal Springfield News-Leader, and switched to the Southeast Missourian...but since those fishwrappers are likely completely foreign to you, the NYT was a valid substitute.

Accountability. Some papers are doing just fine. The NYTimes has become such a laughingstock of liberal water carriers that a reckoning was as sure as sunrise.

I understand that you only want to talk about conservative media...but be honest. The NYT has zero credibility.

We are holding them accountable. Did you not read this week that the NYT vacated eight floors of their building in an attempt to generate rental revenue to offset cancelled subscriptions and lost advertisers?

Really Missourian? Did you cancel your subscription to the NYT recently? Does this have to do with accountability or the ever-present shrinking of print media?

Nope, I cancelled my digital subscription to the equally liberal Springfield News-Leader, and switched to the Southeast Missourian...but since those fishwrappers are likely completely foreign to you, the NYT was a valid substitute.

Accountability. Some papers are doing just fine. The NYTimes has become such a laughingstock of liberal water carriers that a reckoning was as sure as sunrise.

I understand that you only want to talk about conservative media...but be honest. The NYT has zero credibility.

Now, now. I want for the electorate/American public to hold ALL news media accountable. Yes, I think that conservative media outlets are the most egregious at spin and false information but Salon, MSNBC, Moveon.org, and other liberal media outlets are also great examples of terrible journalism.

Analysis, commentary, OpEds are one thing where opinion is welcome. I don't see things the way you do and I won't even begin to understand your perspective without hearing or reading what you write or say.

What I want is for Americans to use their critical faculties, to remain skeptical, to check sources but to do that they need accurate information and the media needs to be held accountable if it misinforms.

I'm sure you can agree with that.

Now, now. I want for the electorate/American public to hold ALL news media accountable. Yes, I think that conservative media outlets are the most egregious at spin and false information but Salon, MSNBC, Moveon.org, and other liberal media outlets are also great examples of terrible journalism.

Analysis, commentary, OpEds are one thing where opinion is welcome. I don't see things the way you do and I won't even begin to understand your perspective without hearing or reading what you write or say.

What I want is for Americans to use their critical faculties, to remain skeptical, to check sources but to do that they need accurate information and the media needs to be held accountable if it misinforms.

The difference is that if you go to Breibart's Facebook page, this is their descriptor:

EF1PxBUsani.png

About
Breitbart News (www.breitbart.com) is a conservative news and opinion website founded by the late Andrew Breitbart.

They don't try to hide their alliances or biases, unlike many other sites that claim to be "mainstream" or "neutral" and are clearly not.

ABC, NBC, CBS ...

Were you up between 2-3 am Eastern on the morning after the election. It was like a funeral on the big three's news coverage of Trumps election. Their biases were laid bare.

You don't see it because their biases are your biases, so it seems completely normal to you...

Think the coverage would have been different if Hillary won? Damn skippy it would have...all smiles and cheers and celebrating the "historic" victory. THIS was a historic victory! Just not to them.

ABC, NBC, CBS ...

Were you up between 2-3 am Eastern on the morning after the election. It was like a funeral on the big three's news coverage of Trumps election. Their biases were laid bare.

You don't see it because their biases are your biases, so it seems completely normal to you...

Think the coverage would have been different if Hillary won? Damn skippy it would have...all smiles and cheers and celebrating the "historic" victory. THIS was a historic victory! Just not to them.

And for most of their viewers. The Big 3 have a market. Had their market been viewers like you these network anchors, et al, would've felt the same about Trump's victory as you.

Missourian martybegan

I'm not talking about media bias only (btw: Fox presents itself as fair and balanced - pfffft). Everyone is biased: those who watch the news and those who report the news. I don't expect bias to be entirely removed from reporting. What I think needs to happen if the American people are to have faith in the institution of the press - which we need in order to hold the government accountable and to make intelligent decisions as an electorate - is reporting of facts only and nothing else, and more importantly, an electorate which remains skeptical, critical, and checks the information they receive. If Fox wants to editorialize on the news then it should as long as the news it's editorializing has been verified. Same with MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc., etc.

I can only imagine that both of you must agree with this. C'mon! You're my favorite conservatives on USMB!

Forum List

Back