Blaggo gets sentenced to 14 years/has to turn himself in in Feb

Blagojevich Convicted, But Was He Really Guilty?

Had Blagojevich actually followed through with the sale of a Senate seat, Fitzgerald’s heavy-handed prosecutorial approach might have been justified. But in light of the fact that no seat was sold, and that these appointments are regularly used for political benefit, the reasonable doubt that a crime was actually committed would appear to be overwhelming.

I would ALMOST have to agree with that. But his case went before TWO juries with the first being a hung jury voting to convict 11-1. And they heard the testimony first hand.

But I also think Blagojevich should have been allowed to play the WHOLE tapes like he asked, not just what Fitzgerald wanted the jury to hear.

But the scumbag federal "judge" wanted Fitzgerald to prevail.

Also the federal scumbag judge knew or should have known that he had no authority to officiate over the alleged federal crime:

2. Resolved that, the Constitution of the US. having delegated to Congress a power to punish treason, counterfieting the securities & current coin of the US. piracies & felonies committed on the high seas, and offences against the law of nations, & no other crimes whatsoever,

Thomas Jefferson

FBI wiretap evidence proved decisive. In the most notorious recording, Blagojevich is heard crowing that his chance to name someone to Obama's seat was "f---ing golden" and he wouldn't let it go "for f---ing nothing."

Had Blagojevich actually followed through with the sale of a Senate seat, Fitzgerald’s heavy-handed prosecutorial approach might have been justified. But in light of the fact that no seat was sold, and that these appointments are regularly used for political benefit, the reasonable doubt that a crime was actually committed would appear to be overwhelming.

Blago got railroaded, plain and simple. It scares me to know this is the way our justice system works. I agree that if he had followed through with anything he said, then there would be actual guilt. However, he never was given that opportunity, so we really do not know, nor will we ever know, what his true intentions were. It could very well be that Blago was just a big talker behind closed doors. In the end, he didn't derive any benefit from any of the things he was convicted for.

Basically, it would be like you or I stating that we were going to kill someone for whatever reason. People say things like "I'm going to kill that son of a bitch" all the time. However, we don't send them to prison for it, unless they actually go through with it or actually make a payment to someone to do it for them. The fact is that we don't even charge them with a crime, because talking about committing a crime isn't the same as committing a crime.

So what was Blago proven guilty of? From everything I can see, he was proven guilty of running his mouth about things he would like to do. We all better watch what we say. I imagine almost every one of us who posts on this message board could be found guilty of saying things that could be illegal.

Blago got railroaded, plain and simple. It scares me to know this is the way our justice system works. I agree that if he had followed through with anything he said, then there would be actual guilt. However, he never was given that opportunity, so we really do not know, nor will we ever know, what his true intentions were. It could very well be that Blago was just a big talker behind closed doors. In the end, he didn't derive any benefit from any of the things he was convicted for.

Basically, it would be like you or I stating that we were going to kill someone for whatever reason. People say things like "I'm going to kill that son of a bitch" all the time. However, we don't send them to prison for it, unless they actually go through with it or actually make a payment to someone to do it for them. The fact is that we don't even charge them with a crime, because talking about committing a crime isn't the same as committing a crime.

So what was Blago proven guilty of? From everything I can see, he was proven guilty of running his mouth about things he would like to do. We all better watch what we say. I imagine almost every one of us who posts on this message board could be found guilty of saying things that could be illegal.

Actually, if you state in public that you're going to kill someone and its in front of witnesses, you CAN be charged with communicating a threat.

Try again.

Good riddance to a bad politician.

Was Blago a bad politician? I think so, but we vote bad politicians out of office; we don't throw them in prison for acting stupid and saying stupid things. Well, I take that back; I guess we do throw them in prison for running their mouths, regardless of their true intent.

While Blago was the very type of politician I despise (a meddling, central planner mentality who thinks he knows what's best for others), I have to wonder what I would have done had I been on that jury. Certainly, I don't know the whole story...I WASN'T on the jury and I haven't even followed the trial. But, from what I've read, two things are true:
1) Blago did not take anything that didn't belong to him; and
2) He did not hurt anyone else, financially or otherwise.
If those things are true, I could certainly agree Blago is an entitled, arrogant dumbshit, but were his statements worthy of 14 years in prison...three hots and a cot on the taxpayer's dime? I'm not so sure.

LMAO...How could you suggest these are victim-less crimes???

For one, the guy tried to sell Obama's senate seat, which affects everyone in the entire country. Its as criminal as can be.

Actually, if you state in public that you're going to kill someone and its in front of witnesses, you CAN be charged with communicating a threat.

Try again.

Yea, but when you say it in the private because you are upset, but have no actual intention of following through, it is not a crime. If you publicly state it over and over again, and suggest how you will carry it out, then things change.

Try again.

Yea, but when you say it in the private because you are upset, but have no actual intention of following through, it is not a crime. If you publicly state it over and over again, and suggest how you will carry it out, then things change.

You can't even say hello to your pal, Jack, in an airport.

Last edited:
Illinois now has the dubious distinction of having our last two former Governors in prison!! :eusa_clap:

I Republican and one Democrat.

Blagojevich gets 14 years in prison for corruption - Yahoo! News

You beat me to it.
I was gonna post this and add the question.
Do you think any Dems will be defending him or crying over him?
I don't think so.
He was wrong and strong and deserved every year he got.
Good riddance to bad rubbish!

We don't that type of scum messing up the Democrat name.

Illinois now has the dubious distinction of having our last two former Governors in prison!! :eusa_clap:

I Republican and one Democrat.

Blagojevich gets 14 years in prison for corruption - Yahoo! News

You beat me to it.
I was gonna post this and add the question.
Do you think any Dems will be defending him or crying over him?
I don't think so.
He was wrong and strong and deserved every year he got.
Good riddance to bad rubbish!

We don't that type of scum messing up the Democrat name.

AGREED! Youze guys already got PLENTY of scum messing up the Democrat name.

:thup:

I JUST WANTED TO
LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT

rod-blagojevich-picture.jpg

I'M POOPING.

But I still want to know how much Obama and his Handlers paid for His Senate Seat. :D

Blago's Fatal Act was in Embarrassing the DNC.

Forum List

Back