Blackwater threatens U.S. democracy

Discussion in 'Conspiracy Theories' started by godhelpus, Feb 18, 2008.

1. godhelpus

godhelpus Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A cabal of private contractors, closely aligned with the Bush administration and usually employing “ex” military officers, now dominates the U.S. national security state — and by extension, much of the world.

In the duplicitous “War on Terror,” mercenary armies like DynCorp, Blackwater USA, KBR, Custer Battles, and Aegis plunder Iraq and other victims of Pax Americana, operating with no rules of engagement and near-total legal immunity, usually earning at least four times the salaries of enlisted U.S. soldiers.

When not on urban patrol, these gangs provide “security” for U.S. diplomats, lucrative oil fields, and profiteering “reconstruction” contractors like Bechtel, Fluor corporation, and Halliburton.

The Hartford Courant calculated a total of 180,000 individual private contractors operating in Iraq, along with 169,000 U.S. soldiers.

Mercenaries are frequently linked to illegal arms dealing, resembling a privatized Iran-Contra network. On Sept. 22, the AP reported, “Federal prosecutors are investigating whether Blackwater USA employees illegally smuggled into Iraq weapons that may have been sold on the black market and ended up in the hands of a U.S.-designated terrorist organization.”

Today, these soldiers of fortune possess an apocalyptic array of weapons capable of converting Planet Earth into a pile of dust, or at best, a police-state control grid. But in the face of permanent annihilation, too many Americans wallow in whirlpools of systematic denial, avoiding this existential crisis because it’s “depressing” or “boring.” Others parrot puerile propaganda about “Islamofascism.”

But those hoping to prevent further bloodshed should consider more salient questions: What are the real costs of America’s permanent wartime economy? Should private armies remain legally immune? Exactly which mercenaries control the future of warfare, surveillance, and ultimately, human destiny? And how can they be stopped before leading to a new Thirty Years’ War?

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. nibor

nibor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    FOUR times what our kids are making...................you better better multiply what they're making by 10 or 15.................:rolleyes:

4. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    where are the free market capitolists to tell us that private enterprise is ALWAYS better than federally funded behemoths?

:rolleyes:

5. bennylava

bennylava Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My brother is in the army. He was stationed at a base in Baghdad until Sept of 07. His unit mostly did mechanical type work on vehicles. For the last two months of their deployment, they were kicked out of their A/C'd trailers and told that they weren't going to have jobs anymore.
    They got replaced by private citizens who were paid twice what they were paid. They spent all day in tents in the heat doing absolutely nothing, just waiting to go back to the US. It's the toughest job you'll ever love. :cuckoo:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It's called "downsizing." It's been happening to the military as a whole since the early 90s. It's nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Congress promises to save all this money by downsizing the military, then hires civilians and twice-the-price to replace them.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    A bit extreme, but some merit. When you figure out a way to convince your Congresscritters to quit selling the "downsizing" bullshit only to replace military personnel with civilian contractors, let me know. It's been going on for almost two decades and nobody's given a rip until now.

8. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Personally, I was damn glad to finally stop travelling to various sandboxes.

If you want to go at a mere twice my pay, jump on it.

The article was accurate in a couple of areas.

I was approached precisely sixty days before my retirement was effective. That tells me that they have an inside track to information that the average headhunter doesn't.

I was offered a chance to interview for a job at three times my base pay to train Iraqi troops in marksmanship. But since I was to be a trainer, no personal weapon allowed. There would be others for security. That phone call got cut short right about then.

Private firms over there should answer to the Iraqi .gov for breaches of the local law.

Of course, our troops should be out of there since the Iraqis have had plenty of time to get thier shit together.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I hear ya. I was looking at it from the POV of do we really want our nation to be represented by merc's with little to no accountability/oversight?

If so, then maybe joined the wrong "club"?:badgrin:

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    oh come on fellaz... were talking about bloated gov. here! rah rah rah the free market private sector is gods gift to commerce, remember?