Blacks Misbehave

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by IanC, Mar 6, 2011.

1. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,440
    sorry for the misleading title

ThinkProgress » Alabama GOP Official Explains Racial Disparities In Schools: ‘Blacks Misbehave’

here is the original letter from McInnish- Hugh McInnish's Letter to the U.S. Department of Justice - Fullscreen

I find it both amusing and alarming that none of the information presented by McInnish is even considered, only insults and personal smears are presented. I suppose that is because the facts that he presents are... well, facts. Blacks arent keep out of advanced courses except by their own abilities and failure to sign up. Black school discipline rates do have the same trend as black adult criminal rates. why is common sense always considered racist when it involves blacks?

2. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    I'm not sure how, or if, it impacts this particular study (at least scientifically), but Huntsville is the "whitest" city in Alabama (among the larger cities). It would be interesting to me to compare the AP offerings in Huntsville (where I would assume the BoE is reflective of the community's racial demographic) to Birmingham's (where I would assume the BoE is reflective of the community's racial demographic).

Color me racist, but I have a very strong suspicion that they are not substantially different. In fact, I would suspect that Huntsville's AP schedule is more robust and balanced than Birmingham's.

Huntsville is probably 80% white, and is a city of technology, military, and some service industries (Boeing, NASA, the Arsenal, several software developers, etc...), while Birmingham is still struggling to find its identity in a post-steel American economy. I'm guessing, but I'd say Birmingham is probably 70% black, while Huntsville is probably 90% white.

How is the AP offering in Birmingham, and does it need looking into as well?

For some reason, that study never gets done.

3. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,440
    I would think that AP courses have to serve the need of the school. you can't offer courses that arent wanted, filled or passed. just because a school doesnt offer the structured AP regimen doesnt mean it can't offer advanced courses that reflect the ability of that school's more able students and many science, math and english teachers take it upon themselves to do just that.

4. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Agreed....but the assumption, and the logical conclusion I'm reading into this scenario is that the AP offerings at the predominantly black schools are low because fewer blacks are meeting the district's qualifications for AP enrollment, or there is no demand for the AP classes at those schools among the students who do qualify.

I think the comparison to a district such as Birmingham, where the BoE is predominantly black and where white students are the minority, would likely support Mr. McInnish's arguments regarding the AP offerings and demand.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    It's like the judge who got in trouble for proposing that the black crime rate is higher because...

BLACKS COMMIT MORE CRIME.

He got nothing but attacked. Be careful of those facts, they're racist.

6. Flagwavrusa

Flagwavrusa "Stop complainin!"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The reporter's hatchet job on Mr. McInnish is not surprising. Filing an unbiased factually driven story representing both sides' perspective would probably get that reporter fired. That's the sad state of American journalism today when it comes to talking about race.