Blacks' dreams will come true. Then what?

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Interesting take on the current "Clusterfuck to the White House."

'This is a time that even folks of my generation have never seen before," says Timuel Black.

Black has seen many a lifetime from his lifelong perch on Chicago's South Side. The revered scholar, historian, political activist and grass-roots intellectual turns 90 on Dec. 7, Pearl Harbor Day. He was born and raised in Bronzeville, the historic and iconic heart of black Chicago.

He is my most reliable barometer of what thoughtful African Americans are saying. I caught up with by phone last week. He had just returned home after voting early for You Know Who.

So what will black folks be thinking as Sen. Barack Obama seals the deal -- to become America's first black president?

Black -- and every African American he knows -- desperately wants Obama to win. "Barack is the best that America has to offer," he says.

He notes that the senator's saga -- born and bred in Hawaii and Indonesia, schooled in the Ivy League, a life of relative privilege -- is not shared by the preponderance of American blacks. "He has a different experience."

Blacks' dreams will come true. Then what? :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Laura Washington

Now every black child in the country will now have a hero to look up to that is not a sports star or a rapper.

This will change American culture forever.

If a politician is the best example of a hero any person of any race can come up with, there's a problem.

The Bass' father is his hero, not Obama.

Same here.

But even as Bill Clinton's childhood hero was JFK, now black children can aspire to be president of the United States.

It will make this country even greater.

So does an Obama win mean we can finally see an end to affirmative action and taxpayer money for organizations such as the Black Congressional Caucus? After all, if a black man wins the highest job in the land then that should mean that we no longer need such racially biased policies and groups.

Now every black child in the country will now have a hero to look up to that is not a sports star or a rapper.

This is one of the greatest things America ever did.

I didn't think she had it in her.

This is the first time I've been proud of America. OOPs. :eusa_silenced:

Black children already have heroes and heroines to look up to other than rappers and athletes .. I mean real heroes. Becoming the porseident doesn't make one a hero.

You're one of my favorite people here brother .. but Obama isn't exactly the hero I want my child to emulate.

The Bass' father is his hero, not Obama.

SO true .. and there are heros in your avitar.

Their bold stand on the world stage put an entirely new spotlight on the racism that was eating America.

Obama is not going to take one bold stand on anything .. especially regarding race in America.

Last edited:
Same here.

But even as Bill Clinton's childhood hero was JFK, now black children can aspire to be president of the United States.

It will make this country even greater.

Obama's win will not remove "relatively" from "free" when describing the status of African-Americans.

400 years in America .. only relatively free for 43 years.

And yet still (hopefuly) a black president before a woman or a Jew. Remember that.

There is indeed significance in what you've said. But I really believe skin color, gender, and faith matter less than policies. No matter what the identity of the president, if that person is a mouthpiece for Wall Street and needless war, identity makes no difference.

Interesting take on the current "Clusterfuck to the White House."

Oh you would hate to see the racial barriers that keep black people down go away.

You'd hate to see inner city schools be as well funded as your white school.

You'd hate to have a black boss.

You'd hate to realize that a lot of black people are smarter and more capable than you, given the same chance.

Black children already have heroes and heroines to look up to other than rappers and athletes .. I mean real heroes. Becoming the porseident doesn't make one a hero.

You're one of my favorite people here brother .. but Obama isn't exactly the hero I want my child to emulate.

Why, you have a problem with a good family man who has clear cut ambitions and isnt afraid to ruffle feathers. I think he is a great role model.

There is indeed significance in what you've said. But I really believe skin color, gender, and faith matter less than policies. No matter what the identity of the president, if that person is a mouthpiece for Wall Street and needless war, identity makes no difference.

To you and to me the policies matter more.

I'm a realist about Wall Street; and War well, hopefully, our future leaders will use their discretion better before sending young lives into harm's way.

Why, you have a problem with a good family man who has clear cut ambitions and isnt afraid to ruffle feathers. I think he is a great role model.

Then make him a role model for your kids.

I have no problem with his good family life, his education, or his intelligence. All good and admirable things .. but my children have been raised to think beyond themselves, to stand on principle, and never forget who they are or where they came from.

Good family and the value of education and intelligence they learn at home.

He thinks Obama is a sellout. He doesn't realize the Democratic party wouldn't have picked Obama if he went rogue.

He's right, but he's also wrong too. He doesn't realize his 3rd party will sell out too the minute they get in a position to compete.

But I respect the guy.

And I think he knows Obama is a great role model for everyone, not just black people.

I don't want this to come off as racist, but maybe black kids will see how they need to speak and carry themselves. In other words, not Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

But I don't speak for BAC.

Forum List

Back