Blackmail?

Sign the house over to me. But don't forge your wife's signature this time.

the original post was a question regarding illegal blackmail. i know what i did was wrong. illegal, except that i did not do it for monetary gain or to defraud anyone out of anything (a caveat in the state where i reside).

i wondered about the opinions of the learned here regarding blackmail. but i can see that is not the tone or tenor of the respondistas here.

Threatening someone with criminal prosecution unless they do something you want them to do is extortion. This is true even if the person being threatened with criminal prosecution is in fact guilty.

Last edited:
Sign the house over to me. But don't forge your wife's signature this time.

the original post was a question regarding illegal blackmail. i know what i did was wrong. illegal, except that i did not do it for monetary gain or to defraud anyone out of anything (a caveat in the state where i reside).

i wondered about the opinions of the learned here regarding blackmail. but i can see that is not the tone or tenor of the respondistas here.

Threatening someone with criminal prosecution unless they do something you want them to do extortion. This is true even if the person being threatened with criminal prosecution is in fact guilty.

Well, if we want to get technical if the ex wife knows of the crime and isn't reporting it to the police or in fact has lied to anyone who may have asked her if she signed said documents she could be in just as much trouble as this joker if his story is true.

I doubt his story is true, or at least complete.

Threatening someone with criminal prosecution unless they do something you want them to do extortion. This is true even if the person being threatened with criminal prosecution is in fact guilty.

Well, if we want to get technical if the ex wife knows of the crime and isn't reporting it to the police or in fact has lied to anyone who may have asked her if she signed said documents she could be in just as much trouble as this joker if his story is true.

I think misprision of a felony would come into play. If it was just a matter of her not contacting the authorities about it, she'd be off the hook for that charge. But like in the latter example, if she actively concealed it by lying then I think it's like up to 3 years in the Fed Pen.

But anyways, there's tons of herp and derp to go around in this situation. Looks like the dude came here because his lawyer didn't tell him what he wanted to hear.

Anyone seeking advice for this sort of situation from members of a message board rather than talking to their lawyer, which you say you have and claim he/she is very good, probably needs supervised visitation.

I think misprision of a felony would come into play. If it was just a matter of her not contacting the authorities about it, she'd be off the hook for that charge. But like in the latter example, if she actively concealed it by lying then I think it's like up to 3 years in the Fed Pen.

But anyways, there's tons of herp and derp to go around in this situation. Looks like the dude came here because his lawyer didn't tell him what he wanted to hear.

California does not have the crime of misprision of felony. Many other states do not as well.

Forum List

Back