Blackmail?

Dood, do you have a lawyer? If not you need to get one. Nobody who knows what they're doing is going to give you free legal advice on an internet message board. People who don't know what they're doing might....but why would you want their advice?

I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm willing to give him advise for a small fee.

I've made a whole career of doing that.

Sorry, bottom line is you forged her name. Game over.

You are actually in MORE trouble then you may think about this forgery charge. Did the mortgage go through? I hope you do have good lawyer, you are going to need one.

In the state of Virginia, as in some other states, a husband or wife can legally sign each others names. It depends on the state this person is in and the laws pertaining in this area of marriage.

You are actually in MORE trouble then you may think about this forgery charge. Did the mortgage go through? I hope you do have good lawyer, you are going to need one.

In the state of Virginia, as in some other states, a husband or wife can legally sign each others names. It depends on the state this person is in and the laws pertaining in this area of marriage.

Syrenn knows EVERYTHING, just ask her.

Mebbe so. My guess is, he's scared and cannot get his lawyer to listen to his fears for free. It's still interesting...what to do if......
[/QUOTE]

correct. and he's far from free...i promise you i'm not fake. stroke was hemmorrhagic, 1/25/08...left side affected...was involved in loan mod program with lewis and associates...
gained approval with a company out of los angeles.

marital separation was may of 2008...i began pursuing loan mod again in january 2010. i don't know what info i could provide that would make this less "trollish" for you. but its real, i promise. the collective cinicism here amakes me, considering the cost of participation.

Yes, husbands and wives have more or less power of attorney if they are in agreement. It doesn't sound this way to me according to the OP. The wife is already threatening with charges of forgery.

Mebbe so. My guess is, he's scared and cannot get his lawyer to listen to his fears for free. It's still interesting...what to do if......

correct. and he's far from free...i promise you i'm not fake. stroke was hemmorrhagic, 1/25/08...left side affected...was involved in loan mod program with lewis and associates...
gained approval with a company out of los angeles.

marital separation was may of 2008...i began pursuing loan mod again in january 2010. i don't know what info i could provide that would make this less "trollish" for you. but its real, i promise. the collective cinicism here amakes me, considering the cost of participation.

And what is your good lawyer saying about all of this?

Last edited:
Sign the house over to me. But don't forge your wife's signature this time.

the original post was a question regarding illegal blackmail. i know what i did was wrong. illegal, except that i did not do it for monetary gain or to defraud anyone out of anything (a caveat in the state where i reside).

i wondered about the opinions of the learned here regarding blackmail. but i can see that is not the tone or tenor of the respondistas here.

the original post was a question regarding illegal blackmail. i know what i did was wrong. illegal, except that i did not do it for monetary gain or to defraud anyone out of anything (a caveat in the state where i reside).

i wondered about the opinions of the learned here regarding blackmail. but i can see that is not the tone or tenor of the respondistas here.

The point is, this is NOT the way to get advise for your situation. You seem to be painted into a corner that only a trained lawyer, familiar to your case, can get you out of.

Random strangers, (like me) can't help you.

Be up front with your lawyer, and he may lead you through these rocky straits to victory. If you lie, you will lose.

Best of luck,
The Rat

I think you know she has you. Do i think its blackmail, sure. But that is the name of the game in divorce and custody battles sometimes.

You handed her ammunition on a silver plate, and she is using it to her advantage.

Again what does this good lawyer you have, have to say about all of this?

I think you know she has you. Do i think its blackmail, sure. But that is the name of the game in divorce and custody battles sometimes.

You handed her ammunition on a silver plate, and she is using it to her advantage.

Again what does this good lawyer you have, have to say about all of this?
[/QUOTE]

my lawyer says he doesn't think the will pursue or even discover because blackmail is, well, a felony.

my last post here. thanks for helping me realize that everyone is an expert online. the jack of all trades version.

Last edited:

"Illegal blackmail" is a conclusion a court of law would make based on the laws of your State and after looking at ALL the facts surrounding your case. It's more complicated than what you have laid out here in a few sentences and obviously from only one point of view.

We do not have the facts, we do not so much as know what State you live in, chances are even with all the legal eagles past and present on this forum there is not one intimately and immediately familiar with the specific requirements for blackmail, fraud and forgery in your specific State, not to mention familiar with the family law requirements there in general. All of these things vary from State to State, there is no one "this is the way it is" answer.

Do you understand why there's a problem here with what you're expecting from the people on this forum?

The rules against dispensing legal advice this way exist for YOUR protection, because if we speculate and you listen to us you are guaranteed to get bad advice or at least inapplicable and inaccurate information for your jurisdiction and your specific circumstances. You've made it clear we're not tossing around a "What if" here for fun and mental exercise, this is your life, your home, your children. You need the correct information and advice. Not some folks speculating, no matter how well intentioned, on an internet message board.

If you're telling the truth then you need to speak with your attorney, who knows all the facts and is licensed in your specific state. And yes that means paying him. You wouldn't want to be expected to work on a time-consuming and cost-inducing matter for free, would you? Of course not.

I know you'll be back to look for responses. So don't waste your time getting snippy with us, refusing to answer your questions is a service to YOU. Call your lawyer!!!

okay, here goes. i had a stroke in 2008 and got woefully behind on our mortgage as a consequence. shortly after coming home from the hospital, my wife left the house with our children.

so now, my wife and i are separated and she has recently filed for divorce. i also have pretty solid evidence that she has been involved in a pretty one-way "emotional affair" with a guy she had been coaching soccer with.

anyway, when i realized that my wife had not kept contact with our mtg company while i was hospitalized, i contacted a company who helped me get a loan modification. i did not use any of her financial information to obtain the loan mod, only mine.

the approval came in the mail (2nd day air) the day she filed. i assumed that she would not be amicable to signing the approval (she has not been amicable to much of anything) and i signed her signature line on the loan mod approval.

understand, we are unpside down in the house. my goals were to save the marriage AND the house, or at least save the house, wait for the equity to return, and sell it at that point with her getting her share of the profit.

now, she is threatening me with forgery charges. basically if i dont lay down to her crazy custody demands (sdupervised custody, two days a week), she will file forgery charges.

comments?

and yes, i have an attorney. a good one.

Did you sign her name?

Did you forge her signature?

Doesn't matter what your motives were if you did.

okay, here goes. i had a stroke in 2008 and got woefully behind on our mortgage as a consequence. shortly after coming home from the hospital, my wife left the house with our children.

so now, my wife and i are separated and she has recently filed for divorce. i also have pretty solid evidence that she has been involved in a pretty one-way "emotional affair" with a guy she had been coaching soccer with.

anyway, when i realized that my wife had not kept contact with our mtg company while i was hospitalized, i contacted a company who helped me get a loan modification. i did not use any of her financial information to obtain the loan mod, only mine.

the approval came in the mail (2nd day air) the day she filed. i assumed that she would not be amicable to signing the approval (she has not been amicable to much of anything) and i signed her signature line on the loan mod approval.

understand, we are unpside down in the house. my goals were to save the marriage AND the house, or at least save the house, wait for the equity to return, and sell it at that point with her getting her share of the profit.

now, she is threatening me with forgery charges. basically if i dont lay down to her crazy custody demands (sdupervised custody, two days a week), she will file forgery charges.

comments?

Did you sign her name?

Did you forge her signature?

Doesn't matter what your motives were if you did.
Actually it might or might not, depending on a number of factors we don't know. Same thing with the issue of fraud. "Intent" as a legal term can have more than one meaning, depending on how it's applied to that specific law in that jurisdiction. Which is why us speculating does this guy if he's being honest more harm than good. /shrug

Last edited:
Since none of us are experts and it is an opinion message board you came to for advice here goes...If she moved out of the house then it is forgery even if they use to sign for each other all the time. On another note if both names are on the mortgage then you are both equally responsible for mortgage payments even if she is not living there (at least it is that way in the state I live). So if she didn't want to pay the mortgage she was damaging her own credit too. What would concern me the most is why does this woman finds it so important to blackmail someone and all she seems to want is SUPERVISED custody.

comments?

You should have never forged her name on the papers. How could you have been so foolish as to do this? It's ILLEGAL and there is no good excuse for doing it. You were very wrong to do this regardless of your motives and good intentions. You had to have known because of your rocky marital situation that this would not be viewed by her in a good light. Her behavior, i.e., the blackmail regarding child custody, is equally as bad. I'd call her bluff and explain it all to the judge when you go to court and let him or her make the decision as to what should be done in this case. Her threats of blackmail will get about as much reaction from the judge as your case of forgery. I suspect that both of you will be hammered by the judge - but it will then put an end to her blackmail attempts. Do you think if you cave in on this issue and allow her the custody deal that she wants that this will be the end of it? I suspect not. She will always hold this issue over your head and it will come up again when she wants some leverage to force you in to another situation. I recommend calling her bluff.

comments?

You should have never forged her name on the papers. How could you have been so foolish as to do this? It's ILLEGAL and there is no good excuse for doing it. You were very wrong to do this regardless of your motives and good intentions. You had to have known because of your rocky marital situation that this would not be viewed by her in a good light. Her behavior, i.e., the blackmail regarding child custody, is equally as bad. I'd call her bluff and explain it all to the judge when you go to court and let him or her make the decision as to what should be done in this case. Her threats of blackmail will get about as much reaction from the judge as your case of forgery. I suspect that both of you will be hammered by the judge - but it will then put an end to her blackmail attempts. Do you think if you cave in on this issue and allow her the custody deal that she wants that this will be the end of it? I suspect not. She will always hold this issue over your head and it will come up again when she wants some leverage to force you in to another situation. I recommend calling her bluff.

If you are in fact correct about the forgery being criminal (which it may or may not be), then you just told this guy to testify under oath that he committed what is in all the States I know of anyway a felony. Testimony that can be used as evidence in a criminal court should the wife, mortgage company or the third party who brokered the modification alert the authorities resulting in an investigation and charges being filed - or in civil court should the mortgage company or broker take action to break the contract and place the mortgage back in default.

Dude, CALL YOUR LAWYER. Now!

So I'm not going to get the house?

DAMMIT! MY ADVICE ISN'T FREE!!!

well, as it stands i have 4 rather spacious bedrooms unoccupied. might turn one into a hydroponic room, and one into a card room. but you're free to the others!

So I'm not going to get the house?

DAMMIT! MY ADVICE ISN'T FREE!!!

well, as it stands i have 4 rather spacious bedrooms unoccupied. might turn one into a hydroponic room, and one into a card room. but you're free to the others!

So you intend to move from forgery into growing pot? Wow, I never would have dreamed that forgery was a gateway drug :rofl:

Forum List

Back