Blackmail?

voivod

Rookie
Oct 5, 2010
okay, here goes. i had a stroke in 2008 and got woefully behind on our mortgage as a consequence. shortly after coming home from the hospital, my wife left the house with our children.

so now, my wife and i are separated and she has recently filed for divorce. i also have pretty solid evidence that she has been involved in a pretty one-way "emotional affair" with a guy she had been coaching soccer with.

anyway, when i realized that my wife had not kept contact with our mtg company while i was hospitalized, i contacted a company who helped me get a loan modification. i did not use any of her financial information to obtain the loan mod, only mine.

the approval came in the mail (2nd day air) the day she filed. i assumed that she would not be amicable to signing the approval (she has not been amicable to much of anything) and i signed her signature line on the loan mod approval.

understand, we are unpside down in the house. my goals were to save the marriage AND the house, or at least save the house, wait for the equity to return, and sell it at that point with her getting her share of the profit.

now, she is threatening me with forgery charges. basically if i dont lay down to her crazy custody demands (sdupervised custody, two days a week), she will file forgery charges.

comments?

and yes, i have an attorney. a good one.

okay, here goes. i had a stroke in 2008 and got woefully behind on our mortgage as a consequence. shortly after coming home from the hospital, my wife left the house with our children.

so now, my wife and i are separated and she has recently filed for divorce. i also have pretty solid evidence that she has been involved in a pretty one-way "emotional affair" with a guy she had been coaching soccer with.

anyway, when i realized that my wife had not kept contact with our mtg company while i was hospitalized, i contacted a company who helped me get a loan modification. i did not use any of her financial information to obtain the loan mod, only mine.

the approval came in the mail (2nd day air) the day she filed. i assumed that she would not be amicable to signing the approval (she has not been amicable to much of anything) and i signed her signature line on the loan mod approval.

understand, we are unpside down in the house. my goals were to save the marriage AND the house, or at least save the house, wait for the equity to return, and sell it at that point with her getting her share of the profit.

now, she is threatening me with forgery charges. basically if i dont lay down to her crazy custody demands (sdupervised custody, two days a week), she will file forgery charges.

comments?

and yes, i have an attorney. a good one.

Did you sign her name?

Dood, do you have a lawyer? If not you need to get one. Nobody who knows what they're doing is going to give you free legal advice on an internet message board. People who don't know what they're doing might....but why would you want their advice?

Never mind. I didn't read your OP all the way through. If your lawyer is good why are you asking US?

Do I smell troll?

Last edited:
voivod, look around the house and find evidence of the following assertion: you each signed the other's names in legal documents once the other had given verbal permission. If this had become a custom in your marriage, you may have a defense on "agency" grounds. As for the custody thingie, I say call her bluff. She has as much interest in the family home as you, and has gleefully accepted the benefits of the loan modification. If you are guilty of forgery, she is guilty of conspiracy or aiding and abetting after the fact.

Best wishes, and I am sorry for your troubles.

Dood, do you have a lawyer? If not you need to get one. Nobody who knows what they're doing is going to give you free legal advice on an internet message board. People who don't know what they're doing might....but why would you want their advice?

I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm willing to give him advise for a small fee.

I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm willing to give him advise for a small fee.

Fees are good. Carry on!

Never mind. I didn't read your OP all the way through. If your lawyer is good why are you asking US?

Do I smell troll?

Well, my view is all that we can do is treat such questions as hypotheticals. We don't have all the facts, and have no duty to run out and do research, etc. but if we can point someone in the right direction, it's all good. In any event, free advice from a message board poster is worth what you pay for it; no one has any reasonable reliance, so offering some isn't offensive to me.

Sorry, bottom line is you forged her name. Game over.

You are actually in MORE trouble then you may think about this forgery charge. Did the mortgage go through? I hope you do have good lawyer, you are going to need one.

Do I smell troll?

Well, my view is all that we can do is treat such questions as hypotheticals. We don't have all the facts, and have no duty to run out and do research, etc. but if we can point someone in the right direction, it's all good. In any event, free advice from a message board poster is worth what you pay for it; no one has any reasonable reliance, so offering some isn't offensive to me.

Hmmm...it's your call, Maddy. I wouldn't want to risk it personally, from either an ethical point of view or looking at the probability of some idiot thinking they can rely on it anyway - whether reliance is reasonable or not. It's specifically offered as NOT some hypothetical to kick around, but this guy's real case. And if it's for real there are too many issues on too many different levels here to even point this dodo in the right direction, plus he's obviously holding out on us too. If he were my client he'd be getting a come to Jesus right about now.

But diff'rent strokes.

Sorry, bottom line is you forged her name. Game over.

You are actually in MORE trouble then you may think about this forgery charge. Did the mortgage go through? I hope you do have good lawyer, you are going to need one.

"Forgery" is a legal determination. His hypo suggests it but there are defenses, syrenn. Very little in criminal or family law is black and white.

Last edited:
So are forgery, fraud and all the other issues on that table. If he's got a lawyer hopefully his lawyer knows all the facts and not just what makes him look sympathetic on the internet, and he should be listening to the attorney he had the confidence in to hire the poor bastard for for his case. Not to us, who don't have anywhere near all the facts and anything we say is suspect for that reason alone. We don't even know what state he's in, to say the least. Not that it matters, it's entirely possible the forgery would be under Federal jurisdiction depending on the program, timing and details. Either way, WTF do we know? /shrug

LOL @ Madeline and Syrenn offering advice

A) I doubt dude is being completely honest about what went down
B) No one asks for legal advice on a message board

No one whose "very good attorney" tells them what they want to hear anyway. There are damn good reasons why people get supervised visitation, you know. If this guy's telling the truth, it's nowhere near the whole truth.

But I suspect he's just trying to see if he can make us dance. ;)

No one whose "very good attorney" tells them what they want to hear anyway. There are damn good reasons why people get supervised visitation, you know. If this guy's telling the truth, it's nowhere near the whole truth.

Mebbe so. My guess is, he's scared and cannot get his lawyer to listen to his fears for free. It's still interesting...what to do if......

Mebbe so. My guess is, he's scared and cannot get his lawyer to listen to his fears for free. It's still interesting...what to do if......

If it were a hypothetical it would be interesting, there are a LOT of issues here - real and implied. But it's not presented that way. And as far as I'm concerned, that's the end of the story. Anyone who wants to speculate is free to do so, but I'm not putting my ass on the line for some schmuck who doesn't like what his lawyer has to say - assuming he's even telling the truth in the first place.

Forum List

Back