Blackberry cobbler

Growing up, the only berries that I knew as huckleberries were dark blue. If it was red, it wasn't a huckleberry, or maybe it was one that wasn't ripe yet.

now see, I had always thought they were only red & didn't know there was a blue variety. The red ones here start as more white turning pink, then red...with no further color changes

Those don't sound like anything I knew as a huckleberry. The only ones we had up in Montana were the dark blue ones.

Same here, only reversed.

Everything in the Eastern American hemisphere is reversed. Water goes down the sink the wrong way, they drive on the wrong side, and everybody's lefthanded.

Montana may be east from here, but not that far.....doofay

This is what we in the West call huckleberries and about 97% of the time they grow wild out of an old dead tree stump, usually cedar. The largest are about the size of a pea, so it would take quite a few to make anything from them. They usually ripen around the first week of July and are only good for a short time, 1 or 2 weeks, after that they just shrivel up & fall off the plant.

Vaccinium parvifolium - Wikipedia

0bc5e265e29d0a3972380568d7357c28.jpg
We have red huckleberries in a few spots..but there aren't enough for more than a few bites. We don't cook with them, they're just a summer treat.

There's our huckleberries.

We have elderberries too, but they're a lot more medicinal and many don't like elderberry jam.

now see, I had always thought they were only red & didn't know there was a blue variety. The red ones here start as more white turning pink, then red...with no further color changes

Those don't sound like anything I knew as a huckleberry. The only ones we had up in Montana were the dark blue ones.

Everything in the Eastern American hemisphere is reversed. Water goes down the sink the wrong way, they drive on the wrong side, and everybody's lefthanded.

This is what we in the West call huckleberries and about 97% of the time they grow wild out of an old dead tree stump, usually cedar. The largest are about the size of a pea, so it would take quite a few to make anything from them. They usually ripen around the first week of July and are only good for a short time, 1 or 2 weeks, after that they just shrivel up & fall off the plant.

We have red huckleberries in a few spots..but there aren't enough for more than a few bites. We don't cook with them, they're just a summer treat.

We have elderberries too, but they're a lot more medicinal and many don't like elderberry jam.

Those leaves look about the same, except the blue berries leaves look more thicker or sturdier than the leaves on the reds which are very thin almost papery.

I don't know if I've ever seen those blue ones before......maybe by next year I'll get a chance to get back into the woods to see if I can find those.

Those leaves look about the same, except the blue berries leaves look more thicker or sturdier than the leaves on the reds which are very thin almost papery.

I don't know if I've ever seen those blue ones before......maybe by next year I'll get a chance to get back into the woods to see if I can find those.
Yeah the red ones are very fragile very different..the berries are very different, too.

This is a pic from a variety taken in BC, but it looks much more like the ones here -- note the craters:

1024px-Huckleberry_1.jpg

--- although some will have a more dusty-grayish lustre.

This is a pic from a variety taken in BC, but it looks much more like the ones here -- note the craters:

1024px-Huckleberry_1.jpg

Those look like blueberries

1024px-Huckleberry_1.jpg

Those look like blueberries

They do look a lot like blueberries, especially in color. But they're smaller, have that crater instead of a perfect sphere, and they're considerably tastier.

Gosh. Thread brings back memories. We had acres of blackberries down home. Blackberry cobbler, blackberry pie, blackberry dumplings, blackberry jam....

That's some purty cobbler, op.

Pogo You mean like these?

P1200540+Vaccinium+membranaceum+Black+Huckleberry+Hidden+Lake+cr.jpg

Huckleberry - Wikipedia

The name 'huckleberry' is a North American variation of the English dialectal name variously called 'hurtleberry' or 'whortleberry' (/ˈhwɜːrtəlbɛri/) for the bilberry.[1] In North America the name was applied to numerous plant variations all bearing small berries with colors that may be red, blue or black.[2] It is the common name for various Gaylussacia species, and some Vaccinium species, such as Vaccinium parvifolium, the red huckleberry, and is also applied to other Vaccinium species which may also be called blueberries depending upon local custom, as in New England and parts of Appalachia.[2]

Huckleberry - Wikipedia

The name 'huckleberry' is a North American variation of the English dialectal name variously called 'hurtleberry' or 'whortleberry' (/ˈhwɜːrtəlbɛri/) for the bilberry.[1] In North America the name was applied to numerous plant variations all bearing small berries with colors that may be red, blue or black.[2] It is the common name for various Gaylussacia species, and some Vaccinium species, such as Vaccinium parvifolium, the red huckleberry, and is also applied to other Vaccinium species which may also be called blueberries depending upon local custom, as in New England and parts of Appalachia.[2]

Whoa now, that's green :eek:

Never seen those, no. I think I'd maybe try one for a sample but I'd be shy about it.

No mine look far more like KG's post 48. I think she's got huckleberries there, not blueberries.

Huckleberry - Wikipedia

Never seen those, no. I think I'd maybe try one for a sample but I'd be shy about it.

No mine look far more like KG's post 48. I think she's got huckleberries there, not blueberries.

What do you mean 'green'??? The leaves and a couple of those berries may be, but there was also dark red & dark blue/black

Vaccinium_myrtillus_(Larvik).JPG

Gosh. Thread brings back memories. We had acres of blackberries down home. Blackberry cobbler, blackberry pie, blackberry dumplings, blackberry jam....

That's some purty cobbler, op.
Don't use that recipe it sucked lol. We did eat all the cobbler..but I like a sweet biscuit/shortbread more.

Last edited:

Huckleberry - Wikipedia

It's blueberries, an image from the internet.
I know what huckleberries look like here on the coast.

The leaves on our huckleberries are waxy and stiff, and are red when they are new growth. The berries are tiny and very very dark. They start out green, then red, then purple, then dark and they're ready.

Huckleberry-Bush_thumb2.jpg

Those leaves are small and hard, slightly lighter on the bottom, very pointy.

Vaccinium-ovatum-bush.jpg

That's huckleberry brush.

Looks like it, from here.

I've taken my walkabout a-berry gathering. It was a bit early for them but not a total loss. Here's mine with foliage and berries:

foliage n barries.jpg

Here's some less-than-mature berries not near ripe yet:

immatures 2.jpg

Broad view of the bush:

young sprouts.jpg

Think I might have a red one like JANut's... there were very few, I chomped one down, it wasn't tart but wasn't that flavorful either...

red one.jpg

Forum List

Back