Blackberry cobbler

You must have good air conditioning or is it cooler there in the south? I swear off my oven all summer long so all berries & whatnot go in the freezer. Then around October 1st, cooking & baking commences

"The south" :lol:

I'm sicka blackberries. Absolutely surrounded with 'em. I'm gonna keep planting raspberries and cutting the BBs back.

If you really want a treat, go up to Montana and find a huckleberry patch.

I'm sicka blackberries. Absolutely surrounded with 'em. I'm gonna keep planting raspberries and cutting the BBs back.

Don't need Montana --- I've got 'em here. Two secret locations. Billions of 'em and they should be ready soon.

We have them here as well, but our season is already over. Our huckleberries around here are small red ones, while other places have dark bluish ones

Growing up, the only berries that I knew as huckleberries were dark blue. If it was red, it wasn't a huckleberry, or maybe it was one that wasn't ripe yet.

now see, I had always thought they were only red & didn't know there was a blue variety. The red ones here start as more white turning pink, then red...with no further color changes

Those don't sound like anything I knew as a huckleberry. The only ones we had up in Montana were the dark blue ones.

ok enough of this thread. I keep seeing cobblers, cobblers everywhere and wanting to make some....blackberry, cherry, peach.:10:

Don't need Montana --- I've got 'em here. Two secret locations. Billions of 'em and they should be ready soon.

We have them here as well, but our season is already over. Our huckleberries around here are small red ones, while other places have dark bluish ones

Growing up, the only berries that I knew as huckleberries were dark blue. If it was red, it wasn't a huckleberry, or maybe it was one that wasn't ripe yet.

now see, I had always thought they were only red & didn't know there was a blue variety. The red ones here start as more white turning pink, then red...with no further color changes

Those don't sound like anything I knew as a huckleberry. The only ones we had up in Montana were the dark blue ones.

Same here, only reversed.

Is in the oven.
I'm trying to eschew sugar and flour. It sucks that I'm a good cook and there are berries in the back yard :(
4e6167cc-9504-4735-8cd6-48c87cfba61b.jpg

Blackberry Cobbler

Looks amazing.

I'll never forget when I was a kid and me and my buddy went down to the railroad tracks to pick dew berries.
DEWBERRY__33232.1515737602.490.588.jpg

There was an old black woman who told us not to pick and or eat em because the train conductor and the caboose operator dumped their piss jugs on em.

Only to find her filling up buckets......

Is in the oven.
I'm trying to eschew sugar and flour. It sucks that I'm a good cook and there are berries in the back yard :(

Blackberry Cobbler

You must have good air conditioning or is it cooler there in the south? I swear off my oven all summer long so all berries & whatnot go in the freezer. Then around October 1st, cooking & baking commences
It was around 70 degrees yesterday, nobody here has air conditioning at all.

They grow wild here...some years are better than others. This has been a good year. I'm going to cut the ones I got the berries from back this winter, they're strangling my lilac.

We have the big Himalayas, which were introduced but are now invasive. The natives are small berries and hard to find.

We also have huckleberries here. They're tiny.

I make cobblers, pies and jam out of them all. Nom.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler
That looks awesome! Someone needs to invent taste-o-video.

That is a pic from the recipe site.

I used that recipe, and don't recommend it. Today I'm finding another recipe.

My mom makes the best cobbler but she can't find her recipe.

Everything in the Eastern American hemisphere is reversed. Water goes down the sink the wrong way, they drive on the wrong side, and everybody's lefthanded.

I'll never forget when I was a kid and me and my buddy went down to the railroad tracks to pick dew berries.
DEWBERRY__33232.1515737602.490.588.jpg

There was an old black woman who told us not to pick and or eat em because the train conductor and the caboose operator dumped their piss jugs on em.

Only to find her filling up buckets......

I had occasion to visit the Fundy Coast of Nova Scotia in a town called Economy. Found a patch there of the biggest blackberries I've ever seen. We're talking the size of golf balls. Dozens of cars were pulled over a-pickin'. We filled up gallons in containers. Then later we came back to the border to re-enter the US.

"Do you have anything perishable?"

I thought to myself, "self, we're going to make this into pies and cobblers soon as we get to Maine and eat it up" so I responded "no".

"Okay, go on through".

ok enough of this thread. I keep seeing cobblers, cobblers everywhere and wanting to make some....blackberry, cherry, peach.:10:

I'll be there for the peach. :thup: :stir:

Fatter o' mact this is peach country, I should bring you some....

The peaches in the Texas HillCountry are fantastic!!!
Had two trees at my weekend place that produced the best peaches I've ever had.
They spoiled me for store bought....they suck in comparison.
They even make beer with em in Shiner Texas.
C-_jyYgUwAAvbgO.jpg

pEACHES_jAMEY_vOGEL.JPG

C-_jyYgUwAAvbgO.jpg

pEACHES_jAMEY_vOGEL.JPG

OK then you take her the peaches. I'll just show up for the finished cobbler. :)

Keep the Shiner though. Fruity beer is for... well.... :gay:

Everything in the Eastern American hemisphere is reversed. Water goes down the sink the wrong way, they drive on the wrong side, and everybody's lefthanded.

Montana may be east from here, but not that far.....doofay

This is what we in the West call huckleberries and about 97% of the time they grow wild out of an old dead tree stump, usually cedar. The largest are about the size of a pea, so it would take quite a few to make anything from them. They usually ripen around the first week of July and are only good for a short time, 1 or 2 weeks, after that they just shrivel up & fall off the plant.

Vaccinium parvifolium - Wikipedia

0bc5e265e29d0a3972380568d7357c28.jpg

C-_jyYgUwAAvbgO.jpg

pEACHES_jAMEY_vOGEL.JPG

OK then you take her the peaches. I'll just show up for the finished cobbler. :)

Keep the Shiner though. Fruity beer is for... well.... :gay:

That's ok boys, Yakima has some of the best.

Montana may be east from here, but not that far.....doofay

This is what we in the West call huckleberries and about 97% of the time they grow wild out of an old dead tree stump, usually cedar. The largest are about the size of a pea, so it would take quite a few to make anything from them. They usually ripen around the first week of July and are only good for a short time, 1 or 2 weeks, after that they just shrivel up & fall off the plant.

Vaccinium parvifolium - Wikipedia

0bc5e265e29d0a3972380568d7357c28.jpg

Hmm ---- yanno what, I don't think we're talking the same plant. What I call huckleberries grow on their own bush, some higher eye-level varieties, others low at ankle level, and the foliage looks a lot like blueberries. They'll be reddish before they ripen but not cherry-red like that, more a dull dark purplish-red.

I should go take a walk this week, maybe tamorra if weather permits. I'll take my camera.

From your link:

>> The bark or leaves of the plant were brewed for a bitter cold remedy, made as tea or smoked.<< :420:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back