Blackberry cobbler

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
Is in the oven.
I'm trying to eschew sugar and flour. It sucks that I'm a good cook and there are berries in the back yard :(
4e6167cc-9504-4735-8cd6-48c87cfba61b.jpg

Blackberry Cobbler

Is in the oven.
I'm trying to eschew sugar and flour. It sucks that I'm a good cook and there are berries in the back yard :(

Blackberry Cobbler

You must have good air conditioning or is it cooler there in the south? I swear off my oven all summer long so all berries & whatnot go in the freezer. Then around October 1st, cooking & baking commences

We never have enough blackberries...

... fer a blackberry cobbler...

... Uncle Ferd eats `em...

... as he picks `em.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

You know, yesterday I was watching Hack My Life on TruTv, and one of the things they showed a hack for was gluten free flour. Seems that all you have to do is take some Quaker Oats, or any other kind of rolled oats, put them in a blender, and blend for a min. or two. Turns out, it makes a pretty decent gluten free flour that isn't bleached white.

And.................instead of using refined white sugar, why not use brown sugar instead?

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

You must have good air conditioning or is it cooler there in the south? I swear off my oven all summer long so all berries & whatnot go in the freezer. Then around October 1st, cooking & baking commences

"The south" :lol:

I'm sicka blackberries. Absolutely surrounded with 'em. I'm gonna keep planting raspberries and cutting the BBs back.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

I'm sicka blackberries. Absolutely surrounded with 'em. I'm gonna keep planting raspberries and cutting the BBs back.

Since I'm in Washington and she is in Oregon.....yeah she's south of me. I didn't mean the sticks like your kind of south.

Don't cut back the Blackberries, it only prunes them to come back in masse. Dig them up, all of them and all of the roots which can be extensive. They grow wild around here and once they've started, it's near impossible to get rid of them.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

If you really want a treat, go up to Montana and find a huckleberry patch.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Since I'm in Washington and she is in Oregon.....yeah she's south of me. I didn't mean the sticks like your kind of south.

Don't cut back the Blackberries, it only prunes them to come back in masse. Dig them up, all of them and all of the roots which can be extensive. They grow wild around here and once they've started, it's near impossible to get rid of them.

Yeah it's too late for that really. All I can do is plunk some rasps down and keep the BBs from strangling them.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Don't need Montana --- I've got 'em here. Two secret locations. Billions of 'em and they should be ready soon.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Don't need Montana --- I've got 'em here. Two secret locations. Billions of 'em and they should be ready soon.

We have them here as well, but our season is already over. Our huckleberries around here are small red ones, while other places have dark bluish ones

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Lucky bastard. I haven't had huckleberry cobbler since I left Montana when I joined the Navy. What would be the chances of you sending me some jam or syrup made from them?

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

We have them here as well, but our season is already over. Our huckleberries around here are small red ones, while other places have dark bluish ones

We just get the blue ones here. Well I think there's red ones but I ignore them. It should be just about time to go harvest a bunch.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Lucky bastard. I haven't had huckleberry cobbler since I left Montana when I joined the Navy. What would be the chances of you sending me some jam or syrup made from them?

Seeing as how I'm way too greedy, not good. ;)

I've never tried to jar them in a jam, maybe I should. Usually I either bake 'em into muffins, work 'em into pancakes or sprinkle them into rice pudding.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

We just get the blue ones here. Well I think there's red ones but I ignore them. It should be just about time to go harvest a bunch.

why do you ignore them??? They are good, tart & flavorful

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Growing up, the only berries that I knew as huckleberries were dark blue. If it was red, it wasn't a huckleberry, or maybe it was one that wasn't ripe yet.

Seeing as how I'm way too greedy, not good. ;)

I've never tried to jar them in a jam, maybe I should. Usually I either bake 'em into muffins, work 'em into pancakes or sprinkle them into rice pudding.

Make syrup out of some of 'em, and it's great on pancakes and also vanilla ice cream.

And yes, it makes an outstanding jam.

why do you ignore them??? They are good, tart & flavorful

Meh, I like the blue ones better. More tender.

Mind you, I don't mind a nice tart now and then.... :eusa_shifty:

The blackberries give me enough tart though.

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

Growing up, the only berries that I knew as huckleberries were dark blue. If it was red, it wasn't a huckleberry, or maybe it was one that wasn't ripe yet.

Yeah that's what I thought. I see them guys and think "they're not ready".

Is in the oven.

Blackberry Cobbler

now see, I had always thought they were only red & didn't know there was a blue variety. The red ones here start as more white turning pink, then red...with no further color changes

New Topics

Forum List

Back