Black WW2 Soldiers -- Among The Most Patriotic In History

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA
The Tragic, Forgotten History of Black Military Veterans

I often see conservatives throw the "coward" word around to anyone who elected not to serve or in the case of Ali -- objected to serving and stood on his principles despite losing significant wealth and possible freedom. However, when white conservatives dodge military service -- they are not viewed as cowards and are given every excuse in the book from being too affluent to serve to having imaginary bone spurs. Why fault a man like Ali for objecting to the Vietnam War when you consider during that time, he belonged to a demographic who was considered "LEGALLY" to be second class.

Around Memorial Day, I recently read a story about black WW2 soldiers and I have come to realize that these soldiers (WHO VOLUNTEERED AND PUSHED TO FIGHT) must have been the among most patriotic Americans in the history of this country. Why?

From the article: “Lynching in America: Targeting Black Veterans,” concludes that, during the same period, “no one was more at risk of experiencing violence and targeted racial terror than black veterans.” The susceptibility of black ex-soldiers to extrajudicial murder and assault has long been recognized by historians, but the topic has never received such comprehensive standalone treatment.

Basically, black soldiers who went over to Europe to liberate Europeans from their oppressors were still treated as second class back home -- instead of being welcomed as heroes, they were among the most targeted for physical attacks, murder, etc -- these soldiers knew in advance this would be the case but still volunteered to fight for this country anyway because they felt one day this country would love them as much as they loved it. Remember THAT next time you try to shame Ali for not wanting to fight for a country who viewed people like him as second class while you give a pass to others who were afforded every privilege this country had to offer.

Forum List

Back