black woman accused police of assault in north carolina

In California you are required to "identify yourself" when requested by an officer, that can be a simple declaration " I am John Doe and I live at 123 ABC street". If you are operating a motor vehicle you are required to surrender your driver's license upon request. I had a couple of interesting examples of that. When I was in college, I was pulled over when riding a bicycle and the cop wrote me for refusing to produce a license. (I didn't have it with me) I beat that one in court because you aren't required to have a license to operate a bicycle. The other was when I was in the Army Reserves, I was a passenger and ranking person in Army sedan. The driver was pulled over by the CHP for speeding. I instructed him NOT to provide his civilian license and to let me handle the situation. I greeted the officer and after some fairly acrimonious discussion, I requested he show me his abstract of the vehicle code. Then I showed him that military personnel, on active duty weren't even required to have civilian licenses, let alone produce them. I also advised him that as the vehicle commander any ticket should be written to me as I was responsible for the operation of the vehicle. After some more discussion and realizing that no matter what he did he wasn't going to be able to write anyone a ticket that would hold up in court (or even be processed by the system as military DLs have different number configurations than civilian ones) he decided to laugh and let us go. He even thanked me for showing that passage in the motor vehicle code. Of course, during this entire thing, I was exceptionally courteous and pleasant despite his frustration. Getting hostile towards any cop is a losing proposition.
about you saying "surrender" your license,, I think most of them say "present"
I have seen in some states it says that and seen videos of people just holding it up against the window and the cop reading or taking a picture and getting away with it,,

its all about the exact wording,,

and some states say you only have to ID after being lawfully arrested,,

this guy goes into detail on the laws in question on the videos and shows the actual laws

pretty interesting,,

every state a cops can ask for id if the suspect a crime. and you Are in are were a persoin is loose or missing. they suspect everyone. search cars , properties and ask for ids.
My point remains that the stop and identify law is enacted in 23 states, and NC isn’t on the 2022 list.

What I do agree with you on is when you’re pulled over by the police it’s just a smart thing to remain respectful and not get sassy, but that’s me. There isn’t enough footage to make a call on this in the first place, and I looked around and couldn’t find anything more than this clip. Body cam could be good evidence one way or the other.

When I was in my early 20s I was out around midnight with a friend driving to a liquor store. Now, I’m going to reduce my fine standing here and say that I was driving and had been drinking, but maybe just enough to register. I don’t weigh much so it doesn’t take much. There was a roadblock at an intersection and the car ahead of me had shown ID. As the officer approached my car I immediately asked him, “Is there something I can help you with officer?” He said they were looking for a criminal who’d broken into a house, and motioned me on through without checking my ID or insurance. It was a good lesson for me, because I thought had he smelled alcohol that would’ve given him probable cause to give me a breathalyzer, and as I said it doesn’t take much for me in my state to register over the limit. Respect goes a long ways, and his facial reaction was nonplussed from my question.

Last edited:
My point remains that the stop and identify law is enacted in 23 states, and NC isn’t on the 2022 list.

What I do agree with you on is when you’re pulled over by the police it’s just a smart thing to remain respectful and not get sassy, but that’s me. There isn’t enough footage to make a call on this in the first place, and I looked around and couldn’t find anything more than this clip. Body cam could be good evidence one way or the other.

When I was in my early 20s I was out around midnight with a friend driving to a liquor store. Now, I’m going to reduce my fine standing here and say that I was driving and had been drinking, but maybe just enough to register. I don’t weigh much so it doesn’t take much. There was a roadblock at an intersection and the car ahead of me had shown ID. As the officer approached my car I immediately asked him, “Is there something I can help you with officer?” He said they were looking for a criminal who’d broken into a house, and motioned me on through without checking my ID or insurance. It was a good lesson for me, because I thought had he smelled alcohol that would’ve given him probable cause to give me a breathalyzer, and as I said it doesn’t take much for me in my state to register over the limit. Respect goes a long ways, and his facial reaction was nonplussed from my question.
just saying if they want to check id and search cars in those circumstances they can.

Forum List

Back