Black Swan

When I watch a film I expect 2 things - to hold my interest, and to entertain me. This film did both, and did it splendidly. Was it weird? Yep. :lol:

Black Swan was absolutely brilliant. It keeps you guessing, you never know what is real and what isn't, yet the fantasy aspect of it all is kept subtle until the third act where everything goes bonkers and you realize the depths of her insanity. Her relationship with her mother and how it plays out in her awkward and sheltered personality throughout the film was another interesting and fucked up part of it. There is a mounting palpable tension the permeates the entire movie and it all comes to a head in the final scenes, with the ending being quite frankly... perfect.

And that's not saying anything about the quality of the acting, which other people have covered. She was born to play this role, and the rest of the cast make an excellent job of supporting her. Oh, and it has a lesbian scene to boot, which is always a plus especially with such, er, let's say fine young women. And of course the actual Black Swan music and analogous plot elements as the backdrop are wonderful. I've never been a big fan of ballet, but I've liked Tchaikovsky's score of it for a while now.

I haven't seen The King's Speech but it must be mind-blowing if Aronofsky lost Best Director to Hooper; especially considering he virtually skewered the other 3 movies in the category.

Last edited:
It isn't on my Must Watch list, but if it ever comes out in instant play on netflix, I might watch it. Maybe.

I have yet to see this movie, but I have heard many great reviews, besides here~
I am more apt to buy it on DVD now :)

Forum List

Back